Decisive Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocolate and meat.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm also going with the Battle of Tours.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        Chocolate and meat.
        Mexican chocolate moles can be nice on meats.

Comment

Originally posted by 100% Wolf View Post
          Yes. Just as Hungarians practice the same religion as Mongolia because the Mongols successfully raided and laid waste to the Kingdom of Hungary!!!!!
          The Mongol raid was long distance and temporary. The battles of Mohi and Liegnitz devastated Central and Eastern European armies. Also the Mongols were not bound to one faith- you'd find Buddhists of various kinds, Muslims and pagans and even Nestorian Christians among them, as well as allies (enforced or otherwise) such as Georgians or Armenians who were Orthodox Christian.

The armies of Islam in France were operating from bases across the Pyrenees (and in the south of France, at Narbonne)- somewhat closer to Tours/Paris than Mongolia to the plains of Hungary as the crow flies.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            Chocolate and meat.
            Venison and plain chocolate.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The Stockholm Bloodbath could also be considered an interesting choice. If it had been done properly, Sweden, Denmark and Norway would have been united.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hurrah for the Kalmar Union!

Interestingly, Colvin doesn't include the Second Siege of Constantinople.

Comment

Well, it's actually an interesting "what if" having Denmark and Sweden as one. Instead of building armies and fleets for 2-300 years with the intent to beat each other, they could have beaten others. Maybe Putin would then have been a scandinavian speaking shoesalesman
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Cajamarca.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      Well, it's actually an interesting "what if" having Denmark and Sweden as one. Instead of building armies and fleets for 2-300 years with the intent to beat each other, they could have beaten others. Maybe Putin would then have been a scandinavian speaking shoesalesman
                      Certainly the Thirty Years War might have turned out spectacularly differently, with an entirely altered Protestant Europe (and possibly a France under Richelieu rethinking a strategy of aligning with a Lutheran juggernaut against the Habsburgs).

Comment

I still play the White Album once a month...
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                          I still play the White Album once a month...
                          A propos quoi ?

Comment

The decisive Beatles.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                              The decisive Beatles.
                              The pun -chline. B-dum.

Comment

Working...
                              X