Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just saw the movie, Twelve Years a Slave ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus it's not like it's that difficult to avoid "racism-is-bad" movies if they're not your bag. Twelve Years a Slave? Probably going to be about racism. Amistad? The Butler? Likewise. Practically every other movie? Probably not going to be a central, secondary, or tertiary theme.

The only "surprise racism" I can think of in recent memory was in "Non-Stop", where some dude on an airplane was like "hey, I bet the Arab dude is going to hijack the plane," and then Liam Neeson said "nahhh," and then he beat up a bunch of people (not including the Arab dude).

When did Liam Neeson start doing action movies? Schindler's List (caution: this movie contains racism!) could have ended on a much happier note. Nazi Dude: Hey let's kill a bunch of Jews. Liam Neeson: Not on my watch you won't (beats up a million or so Nazis)
    Last edited by loinburger; March 10, 2014, 23:10.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
      I know. Racism has been the theme of literally every movie. PC correctness BS
      Saving Private Ryan was really about the pervasive racism of Tom Hanks
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would watch that remake of Schindler's List.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          When I watched Band of Brothers, it hit me at the very end--oh my god, there was never a shoehorned-in thing about how the Army was segregated in World War II! No references to the efforts of women and minorities in the war effort! It just took a company and followed it around for its tour in Europe without getting into dumb political correct bull****. It hit me then--going out of your way to make sure everybody knows just how bad black people had it or whatever is now the cliche, and it is refreshing when they don't do that.

So, yeah, anyone else sick of the racism is bad ****? Like, as if I need to be ****ing told.
          It's so tiring to hear of movies that say that Nazis were bad. I mean, yeah, we get it already.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan was a horrible movie; "Nazis were bad, blah, blah, blah ..."

Comment

That's an invalid comparison. Movies about Nazis are generally about killing Nazis, whereas movies about racism are rarely about killing racists.

Comment

Too bad reg is so insipid, shallow, and ignorant that he depreciates in-depth stories of the human spirit by dismissing them as PC nonsense.

Comment

I still haven't seen '12 Years a Slav'... but I've read some of his posts.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

And by the way, apparently some people today, still need to learn that slavery in America was bad.

Didn't Texas recently revise all school textbooks to depict American slavery as a benign or even a positive institution?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                      I still haven't seen '12 Years a Slav'... but I've read some of his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        And by the way, apparently some people today, still need to learn that slavery in America was bad.

Didn't Texas recently revise all school textbooks to depict American slavery as a benign or even a positive institution?
                        Ok, after reading this thread I get it. What America really needs is a movie about gay slave oppressed by Nazi invaders.

You can call it "12 years in the abyss of anal occupation"

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                          Too bad reg is so insipid, shallow, and ignorant that he depreciates in-depth stories of the human spirit by dismissing them as PC nonsense.
                          Huzzah, the thread served its purpose: MrFun got to feel superior to somebody

Comment

I think it's a little extreme to say that the whole racism-is-bad thing is pervasive in every movie. I actually think TV is the one that's bad about those sorts of things, mostly because in just about every tv show with some bad-guy-of-the-week format, at one point or another the writers are going to get lazy and be like "hey, let's do that plot that's like Japanese internment camps in space again"*. Sci Fi shows tend to be particularly bad about this. The problem really is not that the messages are somehow wrong, because they're not--it's that they're boring. Just like MrFun threads, they've been done to death over and over.

*Star Trek Enterprise did literally this like three times
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I love it when a college student uses the word "internment."
                              It amuses.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                                When did Liam Neeson start doing action movies?
                                Does Excalibur count?

If not, probably Darkman.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X