Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a house, and if so how much should I spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houses are way too much work - my brother and dad spend all of their free time on yard work. At least in my dad's case he gets to spend a lot of time burning brush and cutting **** up with a chainsaw, but my brother spends his time mulching and other horrible **** like that and then he tries to con me into helping.

I briefly owned a house and resolved not to let it eat up my free time, and it wasn't long until the goddamned homeowners association started nagging me to mow my lawn.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post

I briefly owned a house and resolved not to let it eat up my free time, and it wasn't long until the goddamned homeowners association started nagging me to mow my lawn.
      Buy a goat or a ewe. Or crazypaving.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I did ask three or four contractors about paving the hell out of the place, but they were all too busy with more lucrative projects. And if I'd tried to pave the place on my own it a. would have been a lot of work and b. would have ended disastrously

It almost would have been worth it to get goats just so I could give aneurisms to everybody on the homeowner's association
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Maybe kill off all the grass with herbicide?
          [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            polls do not work from phone. Please enter your suggestion manually. Budget is 1-3 MM in southwest connecticut/NYC suburbs (on Long Island Sound). Beachfront with 4 br, modern, tennis court and pool will probably run me ~2.5 to 3.

I am crowd sourcing in anticipation of impeccable poly wisdom. Please do not disappoint.
            What is your avatar depicting? I have always meant to ask this, but then been distracted but something stupid you have said and I just forget.

I have never not been disappointed by my tennis courts. IT IS A NO WIN SITUATION, PLEASE TURN BACK NOW. Everyone thinks a tennis court gives you the country club experience at home, WELL THEY ARE LYING. My country club does not have Mexicans lounging around at 4PM insisting that a single Dyson between the three of them is sufficient to clean a carpet court in less than four hours, even though they have been over since 9 and are now wading in your swimming pool, pissing like children. Unlike my jaded disgusting-looking neighbors, who I could have sworn were Arabs, my country club doesn't call the police when I set fire to crosses on their grass courts, perhaps because it's a time-honored tradition and a well-known bonding experience among like minded friends. Also, all the hot girls feel safer at the club, and the line "Want to come over and play on my court" does not work even as well as "Want to come over to my dorm and watch a movie" did when you were 18. This may be more my problem but I guarantee you I have sex on a regular basis, so the problem is either my delivery of that particular line or the cross burning or the court itself?

Comment

Wiglaf is right, as always.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                If you truly intend to retire in 3-4 years, buying a house there sounds really silly. Buy something smaller and just suck it up for a few years unless you think the investment value of what you buy will make it worth it. I suspect it won't.
                Do not intend to retire in 3-4 years - just intend to be able to with reasonable lifestyle.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, depends on your plans, KH. Personally, I'd not buy a house in the NE. It's just too expensive for what you get for it. Just stick to your true snowbird heritage and go Florida.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                    What is your avatar depicting? I have always meant to ask this, but then been distracted but something stupid you have said and I just forget.
                    Wiggy, it's the Freddie Mercury statue on the shore of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) in Montreux, Switzerland.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Who cares about money - buy what you like, if that means 3 >> 3, you will be living there after all, even if you lose money on it eventually, you will actually live there, so it's money well spent.
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Wiggy, it's the Freddie Mercury statue on the shore of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) in Montreux, Switzerland.
                        Seems strange to me that you would build a statue of him in Switzerland, but he was a cool guy
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                          In your market, you are better off renting and banking the difference. Exception if you really want to stay there long term. Remember, it is about how much you keep. I came this close to telling my boss I quit yesterday. Then, he backed off and gave me what I wanted. FU money = freedom.
                          Man, the amount they're paying you doesn't even buy them loyalty?

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Serious response: Don't go for the multimillion dollar house and instead just get a 4 bedroom in a nice middle class area with good schools. Invest the rest and think real hard about buying a few rental properties with the money you save. As PChang said it isn't what you make but what you save which matters.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              Man, the amount they're paying you doesn't even buy them loyalty?

Loyalty is for peasants and dogs.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If your goal is to live a middle class lifestyle for the rest of your life then why CT?
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X