we need a new emoticon, Aeson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we need a new emoticon, Aeson

:wiglaf: needs to be a smilie. NEEDS TO. i mean, just blow up the one to be like five times the size and i think we'll be fine.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

I will look into some new emoticons ...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiglaf.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	9100036
      ?
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Cleaned up a little -

Name:	Wiglaf.gif
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	9100039

No pasarán

Comment

Needs more American Flags and shotguns I think

Comment

Makes sense. -How big is okay?

No pasarán

Comment

How's this?

Name:	Wiglaf2.gif
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	9100063

-I note that the vB smilie interface is set up on the assumption that you'll be installing entire sets, and makes you jump through a few hoops to add a single original one, but it still isn't that tough.

Goodies like new smilies is, obviously, something you can give the membership that costs you almost nothing -when someone else goes to the trouble of making them- and unique smilies are always a plus for a forum. You should definitely encourage members in that, I think.

No pasarán

Comment

The original was better. In my opinion emoticons shouldn't be that big.
                [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Thanks for the graphics Buster. It isn't much work to add an emoticon I don't think, but I do have a couple reservations. I'd like to have consent of the specific poster before naming an emoticon after anyone. Also I'd like more feedback from the active users about which emoticon(s) we do add. If it's posted in the OT it will get a lot more visibility than here! (I didn't see your response here myself for the last couple days )

Comment

It might be a good idea to PM Wiggy in hopes of getting an honest reaction instead of something confusing and in character. (However, I have trouble imagining a sincere objection, if I get the Wiglaf joke at all.)

And you're absolutely better off gaining the participation of your regulars. I run my own (Alpha Centauri) forum, and while I'm rooting for 'poly to come back to life, my loyalties are there. I'm sure the real members here include a lot of guys who can whip up tiny .gifs, and this could be a way of encouraging investment/involvement, over and above handing out forum goodies for the amusement of all. You know, of course, that gaining the investment/involvement of your members is good for building/rebuilding the forum.

You should move this to OT, then, or start a smilies thread. It's better for 'poly if a regular comes up with a better :wiglaf: anyway.

My last IS awful big - but have a close look at the red stripes. I think the [excrement]'s funny.

No pasarán

Comment

-Also, you really should get in the habit of checking your Site forum every day...

No pasarán

Comment

I usually do see posts here. (I mostly use the activity log to see current posts from everywhere on the forums.) I may miss posts at times, but that's why I check the OT several times a day. Every important issue gets posted there first (or at least duplicated) in Apolyton's current situation. The Site Feedback forum is very inactive, and most of that activity gets duplicated elsewhere (like Avast, Polycast) or just isn't that pressing of an issue.

I saw your post shortly after it was posted, but this is an issue that I'm just not very sure about and rather low on the list of things I need to work on. I wanted to think about it for a while and see what other people might say about it before making any decisions and didn't feel it was an issue that needed an immediate response. There's the attachment system, several systems behind the scenes, and the on-topic content that needs to be addressed on this site. So my work-time on this forum is already spent for several months. If something important arises (like the Avast situation, or even the situation we are discussing now about your views on my involvement in the site) I'll deal with it ASAP. Other issues will have to wait their turn.

I also expect some measure of proactivity from people pushing for a change to the forum. If the only people wanting a change can't even be bothered to make the thread in the OT where it'd actually get discussed, I'd assume that it's not a very pressing issue. I don't mean to be rude about it ... suggestions are welcome ... but that's just how it is.

:wiglaf: is already used in many instances ... and that there is no current graphic implementation may be part of it's charm. It's some nebulous "I'm feigning anger in a humorous way" type of thing with a lot of other possible contexts. If there was a wide consensus about it needing to be an actual smilie, consent from Wiglaf, and consensus about what that smilie should be ... then I'd be happy to implement it. It's an entirely OT issue though, and I don't see much demand from the OT about it right now. (If there was, there'd be a thread on it there. Or a few people would have mentioned it when I specifically asked for suggestions about what smilies to add a couple months ago.)

My own personal view on the issue as a long-time OT poster is that :wiglaf: is better as it is than if the site management decided to depict it in any given way. My first post here was an OT style post (since this is an OT issue) making an oblique reference to that sentiment. I think if you post it in the OT, you're going to get 10 different versions of what it should be. (and only that low because there's not a lot of really active people here.) As is ... it's what everyone who uses it imagines it to be. Whether it's a giant angry face or some guy waving a shotgun and an American flag ... or whatever else it may be.

Comment

You seem to have your thoughts pretty well-organized on this, and your priorities certainly make sense.

-However, I would point out that I've had a lot of good results at my place with actively recruiting the membership's help in building. Yeah, this particular thing isn't very important, but it wouldn't take you much effort to start an OT thread -emphasizing art contributions- and see if it takes off while you're focused on more important under-the-hood issues. You're the leader of a community now - when I ended up in that kind of position, I was really surprised at how effective the occasional rally-the-troops speech was.

(I have trouble imagining what could be done with the fat guy w/shotgun & flag without making either an illegible blob or the largest smilie ever, but someone really should try pasting Wiggy's head on 'im, just for poops & giggles...)

No pasarán

Comment

I vote for

PARANOIA NEEDS A SMILEY
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was working on smilies at my own place when an inspiration hit - so I blew off my duties for over an hour to make you guys laugh.

Name:	WinBastard.gif
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	9100112

Suggested hovertext: Who's a bastard NOW?

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                              X