No announcement yet.

Info: Settlers/Engineers (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work, this settlers' thing! About the distance, I would believe it's 1.5, because it's easier for the computer...we all know that PC is not brilliant when it comes to calculating non-integers.

Comment

Deleted

Last edited by Gastrifitis; June 18, 2001, 21:48.

Comment

Gastrifitis: Great work! I only hope I have the time to read it all. Look out Civ III! There are some experts out here who will be able to dissect you one piece at a time. I can't wait!
        "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

About distances,
          all my testing is in favour of what SlowThinker wrote. This is thoroughly and clearly described in 'Info, diplos and spies'.
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Just wanted to add my thanks for this. An excellent piece of work.

Comment

deleted

Last edited by SlowThinker; July 22, 2001, 07:55.
              Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                2.2 3rd paragraph
                Irrigation can only be built if a square immediately (not diagonally) adjacent is ocean or river or has irrigation also. ...and that adjacent square is not a city square.
                Hmm, if you could irrigate next to the square the city was built on before building then you can afterwards, but you have to treat it as a non-irrigated square for these purposes. Also this section - I thought that pollution halves the output of that square of each resource (rounded up).

EOL
                "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                  In other words, Pythagoras was wrong: the square root of 2 is about 1.50001!

Don't dis Pythagoras! The square root of 2~1.1421.
                  1.50001 squared is~2.25. The game uses 1.5 for simplistic proposes.

P.S. N/P, obviously, I take math very seriously
                  Civ=pi CivII=pi*d CivCTP=pi*r^2 CivIII=4/3pi*r^3 (hopefully)
                  Civ pi= It's coming
                  P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Civ Pi(3.14)Fan,
                    I am checking the result of 1.50001 squared. I will let you know when I will finish.
                    Last edited by SlowThinker; July 22, 2001, 07:51.

Comment

3.2 In MP games, settlers/engineers perform all their tasks twice as fast as in an SP game (i.e. settlers build roads in one turn, irrigate grassland in 3 turns, etc.). This applies specifically to games which are started with the "multiplayer game" option in the game startup menu.

2.1 Another wrinkle on the mined city hill trick. You can do this late in the game by transforming grassland under a city to a hill and mining it before the transform is complete. It's probably worth stating explicitly that a mined hill city site will produce 2 food and 3 shields (for a long time, I assumed it would be just 1 food).

Comment

Slowthinker: The description of the mining a city square trick is almost the first thing explained in Section 2. Thanks for the link!

DaveV: I don't know much about MP other than what I've read. What exactly are the options in MP that affect Settlers? This may need its own section.

Comment

Gastrifitis - I'm no MP guru, but I think that settlers and engineers do their work twice as fast in any MP game, regardless of settings. Either it's a feature Microprose threw in to encourage terrain improvement in MP, or it's a bug they couldn't be bothered to fix.

Comment

I think Dave's right. I haven't MPed much (about 4 games total), but those settlers were certainly building roads rather fast.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
                              I think that settlers and engineers do their work twice as fast in any MP game, regardless of settings. Either it's a feature Microprose threw in to encourage terrain improvement in MP, or it's a bug they couldn't be bothered to fix.
                              OK, I hadn't heard that one before. What I heard was an option to double production output for all players. So forests produce 4 shields, etc. This would influence all kinds of things settlers do. Anyone know more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gastrifidis
                                3.4 If a Settler is about to complete a project, and you want it to use its charges for something else, it is very important to wake the Settler before its turn is assessed. Sometimes, this is difficult, because the last unit assessed on the last turn is usually the first unit assessed this turn.
                                I think you can just click on the settler at the end of the turn: the work of the settler will be cumulated, but the settler will be waked next turn.

Warning: If you press Ctrl-N (the "end player turn" order), then Settlers' work may be lost if they weren't assessed that turn!

Comment

Working...
                                X