Suggestions for Apolyton's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thx!
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Aeson, I've considered your situation where you've promised to not change the OT. Perhaps if you do what CFC did and create 2 OTs, one in which anything goes and you can keep your promise and one in which all posts must be of a more serious nature, such as at CFC, moderated. By moderated I mean in such a way that if you break a rule, something bad happens to you. That way you can cater to trolls as you promised in the original OT while at the same time protecting those who have other interests, such as myself, in an alternate OT.

As I was discussing with Zkrib the other day in the pool, if in real life some ******* walks up to me and says that the women I've helped are whores, I can take a swing at the guy, I'm interested in the reputations of these women. In a forum setting like yours any little twit can say anything that comes to mind without fear of repercussions, so people who have respect in their souls leave. Zkrib related the various reasons he left Poly which all revolved around trolling and the negative changes he saw in old friends. He put it a little stronger than that, but hey, its Zkrib, I left it out. May God bless him. He was very disappointed with Apolyton when he left. I'm now trying to get him to go to CFC because WPC OT is not so busy these days. Ask me about that over the bar sometime if you drop by, or don't, I'd almost prefer it that way. Provide a place where folks can discuss stuff without harassment, an alternate forum, give it time to take root, and it might help overall traffic.

Regarding CFC, they had 2 moderated OTs, one very strongly moderated. So they cut it to one OT with Red Diamond (RD) threads which were more moderated than others. Apolyton has no moderated OT, so I think the alternate OT has a better chance of survival. I for one will post there regularly. I'll mention to Zkrib this option if it occurs.

Your call.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I had considered a care-bear OT for more moderated discussion. It would be good if activity starts picking up on-topic to have somewhere for them to go for friendly off-topic chat.

("Care-bear" being slang for a gaming server where pvp isn't allowed ... not a place for furries!)

Comment

I agree with Lancer that the OT would be a more civil place if we could respond to inane trolling with physical violence.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I have created a "Gruff Off Topic" along these lines. Anyone can post, but rules will be strictly enforced.

Comment

Cool. Hope there are folks left who will use it. You've got an open mind Aeson. I suggested a 'freeposting forum' to the admins at WPC, basically a place for spam, but they never acted on it. Now there's no need, its slow.

Not sure about the title though...

rough, brusque, or stern in manner, speech, or aspect; being deep and harsh : hoarse… See the full definition

Full Definition of GRUFF

: rough, brusque, or stern in manner, speech, or aspect

Comment

Well, that will apply to the moderators when dealing with any violators. But it was a reference to Three Billy Goats Gruff

Comment

What about moving some "good" threads over? Like the music thread?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Okay, I can see it now. I don't know if most folks will identify the forum with the tale.

Now here's something you'll not go for but might help make the forum actually work. For future reference anyway. I'm sure there will be opposition to such an effort as trolls need victims or they're not trolls, not cool, whatever. When a serious thread is started in the OT it quickly fills with spam, witty one liners and seldom goes anywhere because of it. If you train the posters to leave their garbage in the OT and put their good stuff in Gruff, you'll have accomplished something.

Move all serious threads created in the OT to the new forum and leave only spam related stuff there.

Good luck.

Edit: Dang Nik you beat me to it!

Comment

I'd rather let posters choose which one to post in. There is a lot of discussion in the OT by people who I'm sure will chose not to go to GOT. If the topics are duplicated that's fine. Something for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                        I'd rather let posters choose which one to post in. There is a lot of discussion in the OT by people who I'm sure will chose not to go to GOT. If the topics are duplicated that's fine. Something for everyone.

Thank you... The site is for the posters. If people want to post their topics in one off topic forum or the other, they should be allowed.
                        The new forum will either succeed or not based on the posters wishes. Forcing threads to one forum or the other is just plain silly.
                        There is no need to start picking threads in the OTF and saying, GEE that should be moved to the polite forum.
                        If people want to discuss a topic, they can start a thread on the topic there.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You guys are right, and have changed my opinion.

Comment

I think the main forum view should be reorganized. My proposal is like this:

Civ section
                            Civ BE
                            Civ V general ---subforums
                            Civ IV --- subforums
                            Civ series general --- subforums (spanish, world[perhaps archive it, it's dead, no?], alt civs
                            Civ series classical --- subforums (Civ I&II, Civ III, perhaps Civ IV, but I think it should stay as above)
                            Other games section
                            SMAC
                            CtP 1
                            CtP2
                            Other games
                            Misc section
                            Site feedback
                            Civilized OT
                            Barbarian OT
                            Archives

Comment

Can we also have a forum that is a safe place? Like, where we can talk about our feelings... maybe using only "I feel..." statements.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                                I think the main forum view should be reorganized. My proposal is like this:

Civ section
                                Civ BE
                                Civ V general ---subforums
                                Civ IV --- subforums
                                Civ series general --- subforums (spanish, world[perhaps archive it, it's dead, no?], alt civs
                                Civ series classical --- subforums (Civ I&II, Civ III, perhaps Civ IV, but I think it should stay as above)
                                Other games section
                                SMAC
                                CtP 1
                                CtP2
                                Other games
                                Misc section
                                Site feedback
                                Civilized OT
                                Barbarian OT
                                Archives
                                The Spanish forum is one of the healthier on-topic folders - but you meant Civilization World, didn't you? I didn't get that on the first pass.

Could you walk us through your thinking about why a reorganization is needed? -And how this will address the need?
                                AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                                JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                                X