Suggestions for Apolyton's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
    If I do have problem with one of the posters, or they with me, I feel comfortable that I can handle myself as a poster, rather than needing to handle it as an administrator.
    This is, IMAO, crucial and a sign of an excellent attitude. Forums are lousy w/ nerdz who somehow think their shiny badge reflects their superiority, more or less.

They are everywhere, and don't seem to know how pathetic they are for their pride in a drudgy unpaid job that can usually be had for the asking.

I always HATED those guys as a member, and it deeply informs my own moderation philosophy. When I figured out how to hide my admin status in my postbit at own place, I was all over that. I have a DL with it showing for when I'm acting officially, but I never use it except to show the flag from time to time for newbs, just so they know. There are times when a decisive and abrupt is called for, but mostly restraint is best.

Most situations can be managed with an informal diplomatic sentence here and there, in my experience, if you catch them before they turn into a great big thing. Persuasion is better than force - which you can always resort to later, if you must...

I won't name names, but I've seen it in practice. Carrots are better for general happiness than the stick -provided a well-considered mod philosophy and a willingness to bring the hammer down when it IS needed- and maximum happy is the name of the healthy forum game, unless you want to be king over nothing.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
      I won't name names, but I've seen it in practice. Carrots are better for general happiness than the stick -provided a well-considered mod philosophy and a willingness to bring the hammer down when it IS needed- and maximum happy is the name of the healthy forum game, unless you want to be king over nothing.
      Some donkeys are too stupid to take the carrot, and thus need a stick. Sometimes you do need to use the stick as the last resort.

The biggest issue as I see it is bored children are naughty children. There's nothing new and exciting to talk about in Civ-land, so the children will be bored and naughty. IMO, all Civ-related sites are suffering the same thing and will continue to do so until a new Civ is announced.

The only way around that, is to broaden the content to attract a wider audience. My experience though with Civ-related site owners is they don't want to do that. Catch 22 eh?

Comment

You say that like we disagree. Dale, you know from personal experience that I'm willing to apply the stick.

(You're actually one of the better moderators/admins/owners I've dealt with, keeping in mind how slight a complement that is, given the general level in these circles.)

I don't think you're wrong about the rest, save "The only way around that, is". Shoot - you've seen what I've managed at a very narrow-focus place like AC2. If I had as much to work with as Aeson does here, CFC would be loosing serious ground in two years. A lot can be done with simple energy, hard work and good people management, full stop.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
          You say that like we disagree. Dale, you know from personal experience that I'm willing to apply the stick.
          No disagreement from me.

I don't think you're wrong about the rest, save "The only way around that, is". Shoot - you've seen what I've managed at a very narrow-focus place like AC2. If I had as much to work with as Aeson does here, CFC would be loosing serious ground in two years. A lot can be done with simple energy, hard work and good people management, full stop.
          What you guys have achieved at AC2 is to be commended. However most Civ-site admins (past and present) don't have the time to invest to do that. I know for certain I didn't, which was the main reason I left WPC. I think you'll find a general agreement that lack of time is behind what appears to be owner apathy. A wider audience would compensate for that.

Comment

I believe you're right.

(It does look like apathy, BTW, fairly perceived or not...)

No pasarán

Comment

(BTW, the panda science articles in OT are intended to troll them, not you.)

No pasarán

Comment

I care how?

Comment

Just avoiding any misunderstanding.

No pasarán

Comment

Just FYI, its April 1.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yeah, and...?
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                        Yeah, and...?
                        My birthday is coming! What, you forgot, Nik? I'll bet you didn't get me anything!

Comment

MY birthday is coming. I need to focus on that.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

What you gonna do?

Comment

Well, more importantly, my grandpa is 80 the day before, so I will go over and celebrate him. The next day is family day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                                Well, more importantly, my grandpa is 80 the day before, so I will go over and celebrate him. The next day is family day.
                                HB to you and grandpa.

Comment

Working...
                                X