X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're DL friendly now. But it's a good suggestions none-the-less

Comment

I misclick all the time.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

1) If someone says a moderator is stalking, editing posts, and generally focusing undue adverse attention on them for no reason, pay attention. Look at the whole story. If a mod targets someone, treats them like garbage and that person fights back, don't pay too much attention when the mod says, "look, see, etc" Look for the root of the problem.

2) Its the OT which carries the site between Civ releases. Right now there is a troll culture which insults new posters. This should be cleaned up to provide Civvers a place to hang out and chat, and not get treated badly. This situation has been allowed to go on for so long that there are few if any regular folks left. If you don't want to insult people, want to enjoy yourself chatting about whatever and don't expect to be verbally assaulted by trolls, you left long ago. Now Poly needs room for normal folks again if the intention is to expand membership. Problem is, without the trolls there's almost nobody left. So, good luck trying to make new folks feel at home by curtailing trolling while not losing the trolls who are the practically the only site traffic currently active.

Best wishes.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I'm offended that the main adds I see are World of Warcraft or ZOOSK dating, wtf!!?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Lancer. I would take any complaints about moderators/admins seriously.

The OT will stay as it is, that was something I promised before taking ownership of the site. Reviving the on-topic is more to do with compelling content than "fixing" a part of the site most on-topic posters never go to. There will be a stronger firewall between on-topic posting and OT though.

Comment

Thorn ... Google knows your every wish and desire better than you do yourself. It's also everywhere on the internet ... so you might as well just give in and start playing WoW and hooking up with chicks online ...

Comment

bigger avatar resolution

maybe 160x160

or as big as possible without screwing up the layout
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

180x180 is the max in this layout.

I think some user groups have larger avatars. Poly Plus? I wouldn't want to diminish their contributions to this site in the past by making everyone even, we're not communists here

Larger avatars are definitely doable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    Thanks for the feedback Lancer. I would take any complaints about moderators/admins seriously.

The OT will stay as it is, that was something I promised before taking ownership of the site. Reviving the on-topic is more to do with compelling content than "fixing" a part of the site most on-topic posters never go to. There will be a stronger firewall between on-topic posting and OT though.
                    You're welcome Aeson. One thing to consider is that maybe the reason on topic posters never go there is they aren't welcome, figure they wouldn't be welcome if they tried, aren't attracted to all the spam and insults, or are looking for a serious discussion and see that the serious looking thread titles that could be good often degenerate quickly.

Looked into Civfanatics lately? They've relaxed their moderation somewhat and are trying to attract new posters by offering a stable environment. Now that the mods aren't so over the top its a good place to be. Plus, there is still enough moderation to keeps things flowing. The membership is international including non native English speakers who would be pilloried for fun here. They've hit a good balance. If you have enough on topic posters still you might want to ask them where they go to relax and have a good time. Might be CFC.

I haven't heard 'Panda' since going there or been accused of selling child brides once, and that's kinda nice.
                    Last edited by Lancer; March 21, 2014, 08:04.

Comment

We don't have much on-topic posting left. It's something I hope to address later when I have more time. We do have a good number of visitors every day coming in from search engines, just not much for them to participate in.

Comment

Right. You can thank the 2 previous admins for this. DQ could not oppose any contrary opinion, just not in him. Shark bait. The previous guy, whatever his name is, looked up to the trolls, wanted to be popular. He applied a useless mod to gain their favor. So whether these new guests stay or not should be the #1 issue, yes? If it really matters then yes, if you want to be, through your site, welcoming to new folks. "Addressing later" I assume means after Apr 1, right? April Fools? Even if by some amazing turn of events this is actually your site, how to get the trolls not to chase the new folks? Or just laugh it off and chum up to the trolls, same ol same ol? They might not like you but likely they won't harass you. If that's good enough, well okay.

Do you ever consider these 'cool' troll guys might not have your best interests in mind or are you still eager to please them? Are you petty or not? Simple stuff.

Lets say you think you own this site and you figure the highest and best use for this site is to continue catering to trolls as has happened for far too long. Then they own it for whatever time it has left because you'll never get the visitors to stay and trolls can do whatever they want, pretty much to each other as it is now that new members shun the place. Trolls here have gotten used to this. Oppose them and they will deride you and insult Net more than they have already done. If you think you own it you've already employed a guy who wants to be popular, will be your best yes man, and will go against anyone who thinks for himself beyond the football picks no matter what you say. Damn good at pouring honey in your ear and accusing others. So, anyone who is having a good time here not so involved becomes his enemy and can be willfully attacked through the mod abilities you empower him with.

So you have trolls. You have a mod from hell. Good luck. I've been posting here since you were quite young. I hope you can reverse this but, lets face it...anyway man up and you will actually o w n this historic site and it will have few members, but it will be y o u r s. ...if you can take out the trash. Or at minimum ban them when they go after new members, and don't listen to their BS excuses blaming the other guy. They've been playing this game for a long, long time. Like there's a future in it.

If you truly own it you can undo the trolls, disenfranchise the egomaniac, take the hit, and own the site and maybe m a k e something of it. Do you know the troll culture is one of the major reasons for the schism? True!

I'd be impressed if folks can come here and be free of baseless ridicule. Odds? Well I don't know. A few years ago I'd have said one in a million. Now, I just don't know. It will be revealing however. When this is done I will know, for what its worth.
                        Last edited by Lancer; March 24, 2014, 09:39.

Comment

If he owns it? You still think this is a joke, don't you?
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                            If he owns it? You still think this is a joke, don't you?
                            Yeah Nik...

Comment

When I offered to take over the site it was with the promise that I wouldn't change the OT other than to make a stronger firewall between it an the on-topic posting. I don't think breaking my word would be the way to "man up" ... quite the opposite.

As for ownership, I don't want to "own" Apolyton in the sense of it being my site. I consider it to be a community. I may own the domain name and the server in a legal sense, but that's just to better facilitate keeping it running. I consider Apolyton to be "owned" by the long-term members left here (largely the OT, but the Spanish section and a few other bright spots are left) and want it to continue to cater to them.

If the general consensus in the OT was to implement stricter rules, then it would be something to consider. If not, I'm fine with that. I've demonstrably chosen to post in the OT as it is, and don't really have a problem with it. If I do have problem with one of the posters, or they with me, I feel comfortable that I can handle myself as a poster, rather than needing to handle it as an administrator.

If it makes it more difficult to jump-start the on-topic posting, I'm ok with that too. I've never been shy of taking on a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post

As for ownership, I don't want to "own" Apolyton in the sense of it being my site. I consider it to be a community. I may own the domain name and the server in a legal sense, but that's just to better facilitate keeping it running. I consider Apolyton to be "owned" by the long-term members left here (largely the OT, but the Spanish section and a few other bright spots are left) and want it to continue to cater to them.
                                The best bit.

I wish all the folks who left rather than wade through the BS could voice their opinion. My view will never be a consensus among a troll controlled site, but you now have an alternative opinion for change. If it does ever change I'll post a lot more. Whether you consider that a good thing is .

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X