X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope sends direct message to Ben

Originally posted by HP
    Pope Francis: Gays, Abortion Too Much Of Catholic Church's Obsession

Pope Francis faulted the Roman Catholic church for focusing too much on gays, abortion and contraception, saying the church has become "obsessed" with those issues to the detriment of its larger mission to be "home for all," according to an extensive new interview published Thursday.

The church can share its views on homosexuality, abortion and other issues, but should not "interfere spiritually" with the lives gays and lesbians, the pope added in the interview, which was published in La Civilta Cattolica, a Rome-based Jesuit journal.

“We have to find a new balance, otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel," Francis said in the interview.

"The church has sometimes locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules,' Francis said. "The people of God want pastors, not clergy acting like bureaucrats or government officials."

The 12,000-word interview ranges widely, touching upon the pope's personal faith, the role of women and nuns in the church, Latin Mass and even the pope's favorite artists.

"He's very open honest and candid like we have not seen in a pope before. He critiques people who focus too much on tradition, who want to go to time in the past that does not exist anymore," said Fr. James Martin of America Magazine, which published an English translation of the interview. "He reminds people that thinking with the church, in obedience, does not just mean thinking with the hierarchy, that church is a lot bigger than its hierarchy."

In the interview, Francis does not come out in support of gay marriage, abortion rights or contraception, saying that church positions on those issues are "clear," but he added that the "the proclamation of the saving love of God comes before moral and religious imperatives.”

“A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he said to Jesuit priest Fr. Antonio Spadaro, who conducted the interview for La Civilta Cattolica. “I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.”

The comments on gays and lesbians follow up on remarks Francis made aboard the papal airplane in July when asked about gay priests. "Who am I to judge?" the pope then said, in a quote that made international front-page headlines. In Thursday's interview, Francis clarified that those comments were about all gay people and not only priests.

Francis, 76, also touched upon where he falls within the political and theological spectrum of Catholics. Because of what he said was a purposeful avoidance of talking about sexuality and reproductive issues during the first six months of his papacy, some critics have said the pope has shifted from being more outspoken on conservative issues when he was a Jesuit province superior in Argentina and later was the Archbishop of Buenos Aires. The pope, who was appointed to the jesuit leadership position when he was 36, said his youthful lack of experience made him too authoritarian of a leader.

“But I have never been a right-winger," he said.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3954776.html

I knew I was going to like this guy.

Hey I'm a conservative but I like this guy who says he has "never been a right winger!"

Comment

I'm liking this guy.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        Hey I'm a conservative but I like this guy who says he has "never been a right winger!"
        No Christian should be a right winger. Then again, I'm not a Christian. I do like people who actually follow the beliefs they claim to however.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          No Christian should be a right winger. Then again, I'm not a Christian. I do like people who actually follow the beliefs they claim to however.
          No Christian should be right wing. You are not Christian. You are right wing.

Well, at least you're consistent in your idiosyncrasies.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

If you're going to actually quote the interview. You can go to the actual source document.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I do like people who actually follow the beliefs they claim to however.
              Right. I'm the go to person for dissent from Catholicism and Catholic teachings on Apolyton. You've nailed me 100 percent.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                I'm the go to person for dissent from Catholicism and Catholic teachings on Apolyton.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

IIUC, he's not actually contradicting any church teachings on abortion or homosexuality; he's just saying the RCC needs to push its left-wing political beliefs just as hard as its right-wing political beliefs. Not much harder, as is currently the case. So, more screaming about the death penalty, etc., to balance out the screaming about abortion and wicked sodomites.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Incidentally, does anyone else think "sodomite" sounds kind of like a Pokemon? A bug with earth-elemental powers, I guess.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

IUC, he's not actually contradicting any church teachings on abortion or homosexuality; he's just saying the RCC needs to push its left-wing political beliefs just as hard as its right-wing political beliefs. Not much harder, as is currently the case. So, more screaming about the death penalty, etc., to balance out the screaming about abortion and wicked sodomites.
                      You've understood correctly.

It's never been an either/or question.

Comment

Where are you on the death penalty, Ben?

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

So when are you backing single payer health care and standing on the steps of the Texas State Capitol to get the death penalty overturned?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Incidentally, does anyone else think "sodomite" sounds kind of like a Pokemon? A bug with earth-elemental powers, I guess.
                            Not really, since Pokémon names usually involve some sort of cutesy wordplay.

Comment

Where are you on the death penalty, Ben?
                              I disagree with it. It's one of the things that's on the list as a 'non-negotiable' clause when joining the Catholic church. The list for me was fairly substantial.

Comment

Working...
                              X