Big changes in the life of Nikolai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big changes in the life of Nikolai

My life might be in for a change for the good.

I've got new meds for my diabetes, which helps my weight.

I have severe insulin resistance, which means my body rejects much of the insulin I take. Soon two weeks ago, I was admitted into the hospital to see what we could do with it. I used ca 300 IE of insulin each day, which is an enormous amount! Especially considering insulin is a growth hormone...

So I got set on a radical solution: I was taken off my insulin all together. Last 1.5 week, I've had three new meds to take or my diabetes.

One pill which makes my body produce more insulin than normal (my body produces too litte and I have resistance as I mentioned), one pill that makes my body remove more sugar into my urin than normal (which means I need to pee more often and drink more, but it makes my blood sugar much better!) and a syringe that makes me less hungry and that lowers my insulin need.

This means that in ca 1.5 weeks I've lost ca 6 kg! (google tells me that equals a little more than 13 pounds)

A new, more fit Nikolai might be emerging.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

I liked the working title more
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I had a working title?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Good times, man.

I assume you do the glycemic index and all the rest of that? My dad's diabetic and he has this whole bag of tricks to eat more without getting in trouble. I think the GI is what he attributes most of his success to, though.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I have had diabetes for 13 years, but I don't think I've ever heard much about the glycemic index. Googling it tells me that no, I don't use it. But I have good values on my blood sugar. The new meds are very effective.

Comment

When do they replace insulin with nanites?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post

I have severe insulin resistance, which means my body rejects much of the insulin I take. Soon two weeks ago, I was admitted into the hospital to see what we could do with it. I used ca 300 IE of insulin each day, which is an enormous amount! Especially considering insulin is a growth hormone...

So I got set on a radical solution: I was taken off my insulin all together. Last 1.5 week, I've had three new meds to take or my diabetes.

One pill which makes my body produce more insulin than normal (my body produces too litte and I have resistance as I mentioned), one pill that makes my body remove more sugar into my urin than normal (which means I need to pee more often and drink more, but it makes my blood sugar much better!) and a syringe that makes me less hungry and that lowers my insulin need.

This means that in ca 1.5 weeks I've lost ca 6 kg! (google tells me that equals a little more than 13 pounds)

Rock the Casbah, Nikolai.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My mother and my grandmother also have diabetes. Keep it going Nikolai.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I have had diabetes for 13 years, but I don't think I've ever heard much about the glycemic index. Googling it tells me that no, I don't use it. But I have good values on my blood sugar. The new meds are very effective.

The GI of a food tells you what will spike your blood sugar, the higher the worse. Get to know it.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Way to go, Nikolai!

Though I'm amazed you don't know about the GI - surely prevention is better than the cure!?
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Once you feel better about yourself you can drop that religious stuff and start chasing girls / whatever floats your boat for pleasure.

Good to hear you're getting better!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        The GI of a food tells you what will spike your blood sugar, the higher the worse. Get to know it.
                        Why can't I just look at the carbs and sugar level, as we're told over here? It has worked great so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                          Way to go, Nikolai!

Though I'm amazed you don't know about the GI - surely prevention is better than the cure!?
                          I guess we don't use it here in Norway. But it's easy to know what is good and not, just by looking at the declaration on the package.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
                            Once you feel better about yourself you can drop that religious stuff and start chasing girls / whatever floats your boat for pleasure.

Good to hear you're getting better!
                            Sure... I like belonging to God thank you. But thanks.

Comment

And thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                              X