Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money

I'm not real sure how I'm going to make money in the very beginning. Let's say I build my first city and I get a tax of 1. So I'm making an income of 1 gold per turn. I build my first unit, for defense. So now I'm not making any money. I then decided to... oh wait I can't build anything until my citie grows so I can get at least a tax of 2. Who knows how long that could take. What to do. You have to build a military unit right away for defense but you could also use a temple to get some of those valuable resources. My question is how is there going to be enough money to support all your needs?
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Ok, we don't know exactly how everything will work, but this is a valid question. Personally, I think that such delemas should exist. Besides, they say you'll start with a worker, so he'll be able to start a colony which could help with in your finacial area. Besides, what if we start out with some money. Sure, there'll be tough times, but that adds flavor. I like the idea of small armies due to finances. Either one must concentrate mainly on defense, or one must continually conquer to support the army. (like the Romans)

All I'm saying is - Don't worry.

If you still have problems when you get the game, then come back and we can all discuss it!

Ioanes
    Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
    http://john.jfreaks.com
    -The Artist Within-

Comment

I think the " money = power " concept in civ3 is a step forward as this reflects the real world......at least nowadays. Just look at a country like Russia...great natural resoursces and production capabilities but no $ and thats what matters.
      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I'm almost certain that you will get a number of "free units" per city; 1 or 2, say. That way the early expansion won't be too painful. Wille, do you have any idea what you're talking about? Tell me: what is money? Just give me the definition that you're using.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think if they do go with an empire wide gold support for troops that you will see something similar to CTPII where instead of the city contributing 1 gold it will be like 500 gold. (the 1 gold just represented a unit anyway) and then the troop support might be half of that or something. So while there will be a more direct corralation, I think your fears are unfounded. It will be taken care of because otherwise, it would be just silly.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Are you sure that the units cost money before you have more units then your city size in despotism?
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by JMarks

All I'm saying is - Don't worry.

If you still have problems when you get the game, then come back and we can all discuss it!

Ioanes
              Exactly, why post a pseudo complaint about something (TechWins) when you have little or no information to base your complaint on.

If you want to talk about how Civ 2 works, and how you think Civ 3 should work, then fine. Lets talk.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                I'm almost certain that you will get a number of "free units" per city; 1 or 2, say. That way the early expansion won't be too painful. Wille, do you have any idea what you're talking about? Tell me: what is money? Just give me the definition that you're using.
                I dont have the english skills to explain my opinion on this matter so I wont even try it would just look dumb.
                It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  What? I would hate civ3 if Firaxis made the game that easy. If everyone got off lucky with 1 or 2 units at the beginning, the game would be dull and not hard.

Just look at how we Americans started, we had zero money, in fact, we were in debt by the hundreds of thousands, yet we made it. That was just an example, and I have plenty more if you are interested. I am 110% opposed to having free units at the beginning, it would take away the feeling of how hard history was, and it would take away the pride that all americans feel when they (I) reflect on the American Revolution, that we did make it, although it was as hard as hell.

please dont take offense, any of you British who read this.

Comment

take offence to this you brits.

::several obscene gestures::
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I support: Deficit Spending as well as nation to nation loans

However there has not been much said about the actual 'MONETARY UNIT' structure... just other economical stuff....
                      "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

I think money should be in Pounds Sterling.. not Gold

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                          take offence to this you brits.

::several obscene gestures::
                          LOL.

Comment

I would suspect early unit will not cost that much. However later units will surely cost a lot more.

Comment

Exactly, why post a pseudo complaint about something (TechWins) when you have little or no information to base your complaint on.
                              I'm not neccesarily complaining, I'm just wondering how it will work. Now I believe wondering how something in Civ III will work is talking about Civ III. Tell me if I'm wrong though.

I would suspect early unit will not cost that much. However later units will surely cost a lot more.
                              I think if they do go with an empire wide gold support for troops that you will see something similar to CTPII where instead of the city contributing 1 gold it will be like 500 gold. (the 1 gold just represented a unit anyway) and then the troop support might be half of that or something.
                              You two are probably right.
                              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                              X