WHEW!! Still works with Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEW!! Still works with Windows 8

Save your 'Alpha Centauri.ini" file from your old computer ( I have a copy on a thumb drive with the update files just for this - I suggest saving it with your backed up files - just in case anything happens!! you will need to put it in the new install. The game cant start to create it.

When I first installed and added the patches AND the patch for XP. I got the dreaded "cpu not supported" warning and would not go forward to run the game.

You will need to then put the "Alpha Centauri.ini" file into the folder the game is installed in.
    If you copied the above file from a computer that is running XP or Win7 you should not have to make any changes to the file.

In same game folder find "axstart" right click it and tell it to run in XP service pack3 mode.

You should be good to go - I still get the CPU not suported, but can click on ok and it starts up and runs just fine. Actually better than my old laptop which was a Win7!!

That's good news!
    Should this be stickied for a while?
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Maybe even mentioned in this thread ?

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I know the game no longer requires the CD if you install the XP patch, but is it possible to stop it from hectoring you about the CD for movies?

Comment

Even with the XP patch it has always asked for the CD at startup! I have the Planetary Pack installed from CD.
          The CD lives in my laptop so my grandson cant touch it!!! Like he would play this over those other RPGs that are out there!! LOL!!!

Comment

I bought the CD off Amazon, and it won't install with windows 8. I love this game, and after being disappointed in Beyond Earth, I thought I'd go retro and get AC again. Anyone know how to install it on win 8? Thnx

Comment

Do you get an error message during the installation? If so, please post the exact text of the message. If there's no message, what happens when you try to install the game?
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

The screen comes up with gaia's picture and the the "install" option. I hit that button, and... nothing. It won't install. No error message. nothing.

Originally posted by Petek View Post
                Do you get an error message during the installation? If so, please post the exact text of the message. If there's no message, what happens when you try to install the game?

Comment

Try this: Create a shortcut to Setup.exe (a file on the installation CD) on your desktop. Right-click on the shortcut, go to Properties and the Compatibility tab. Experiment with various compatibility settings. Do any of these options let you run the installation? If not, which CD do you have? (Alpha Centauri, Planetary Pack, something else?)
                  -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek View Post
                    Try this: Create a shortcut to Setup.exe (a file on the installation CD) on your desktop. Right-click on the shortcut, go to Properties and the Compatibility tab. Experiment with various compatibility settings. Do any of these options let you run the installation? If not, which CD do you have? (Alpha Centauri, Planetary Pack, something else?)
                    No setup.exe file. 5 setup files, but Only the SETUP file let me use compat mode. Didn't work. It's the regular AC disc. it's like trying to play pong on computer on the Enterprise bridge. Does Not Compute. I'm thinking of actually going to goodwill to see if they have an old pc w win 98. Any other ideas? I've got an old laptop but that OS is still too new, and it won't work either. Plus I SUCK at computers, that doesn't help. I learned video games on pong, seriously, and haven't advanced much since, lol
                    I have an error code on the laptop I can send you maybe it'd be easier to get that to work
                    Then PLANET shall bent to my Iron Will!

Comment

I can confirm that you CAN install Alpha Centauri and get it working on Windows 7, I have done it myself. There should be notes on how to get it running up in the sticky thread up top. You DEFINITELY don't need dedicated hardware to run it. You might not get it to run under Windows 8, however, due to incompatible libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Nlp12 View Post
                        No setup.exe file. 5 setup files, but Only the SETUP file let me use compat mode. Didn't work. It's the regular AC disc. it's like trying to play pong on computer on the Enterprise bridge. Does Not Compute. I'm thinking of actually going to goodwill to see if they have an old pc w win 98. Any other ideas? I've got an old laptop but that OS is still too new, and it won't work either. Plus I SUCK at computers, that doesn't help. I learned video games on pong, seriously, and haven't advanced much since, lol
                        I have an error code on the laptop I can send you maybe it'd be easier to get that to work
                        Then PLANET shall bent to my Iron Will!

Comment

ok it won't install on the laptop either. it's win vista. I open the file to the setup launcher, which does say SETUP.EXE, I get this error:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\VirtualDeviceDriver s. Virtual device driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose close to terminate.
                          WTF that means I dunno. I think it means I'm screwed.
                          :

Comment

My advice: Buy the game at GOG. It only costs $5.99 (and sometimes goes on sale for $2.99). The page in the link states that it's Win 8-compatible. If it doesn't run on your system, you have 30 days to get a refund. Plus, you also get the Alien Crossfire add-on.
                            -- Kosh

Comment

If it's compatible with Windows 8, I sure can't figure out how to do it.
                              Got the game from GOG... and the install seems to go fine. But when I try to launch the game in Admin mode, I get the screen asking if I care if the program makes changes, I say go ahead, the the little blue circle turns for a few seconds, than NADA!

Sigh...
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X