Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the AI nuke my nuke before I launch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the AI nuke my nuke before I launch?

If I move a nuke into one of my cities that is within range of a large AI city with nuclear capability, will the AI nuke my nuke? Do I need to put it on a sub, and move and launch the same turn?
    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

The Mad Viking,

The ai can see every unit and city on the map, so it makes no difference how you hide your missles or units. also the nuke range for the ai is unlimitted , i repeat unlimited, so that makes no difference either. However the ai is stupid enough to waste missles on your cities with SDI as well, man the ai is just dumb

Comment

I have only seen the ai use nukes against cities.Never against units so maybe an airbase is the place to put it.Course,then it will use a cruise missile or bomber
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yeah, the AI sees all... but is still VERY STUPID.

First, you are right... and AI will ONLY nuke cities.

Second, if you want to watch the AI spend all their resources building nukes, put an SDI in all your cities except one that is under SDI cover from another city. The AI will "see" all, and waste every nuke it has against your one city without one. Turn after turn after turn. It's fun to watch, and there is nothing better than taking advantage of the AI's see all policy
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Everyone:

I never witnessed the AI using cruise missiles against a ground unit. That is, until I created my Elite Corps unit. With an attack power of 14, defense of 3 and the damage points of a battleship, I inadvertantly found out what it takes for the AI to use cruise missiles on a ground unit.

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Does the AI see all?? How do you know? Sure, sometimes it does seem like that. I've had subs with missiles off the coasts of AI civs that are not attacked. As soon as I move up a battleship or whatever it's pounded with cruise missiles or attacked with ships. It seems that if the AI -sees- all it would also attack my subs.

Comment

Maybe subs are an exception because they "technically" are hard for anybody to spot.
              Or, maybe the AI doesn't place them high on the priorty target list.
              I've done some experimenting... viewing what the AI is supposed to know by looking at their maps by using the cheat menus. It's a riot to see that some of their units have "goto" commands in place with your cities as locations, and they haven't even found those cities yet. And it is simply amazing how they will attack your one city without an SDI with Nukes... or attack that Battleship with cruise missles the minute it leaves port, even though there is NO WAY they could have spotted it yet.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just to be safe, put all of your nukes under an SDI defense. That way you can be sure that no nukes will nuke your nuke.
                "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Thanks guys.

Is it true that the AI nuke range is UNLIMITED?

I read somewhere online that it was like 18 or 20.

I presume that putting my Nuke in a small city with 3 defensive units will reduce the chance of it being attacked. My limited experience shows the AI likes lots of units in the city it attacks.
                  Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 05-11-2000 10:51 PM

Second, if you want to watch the AI spend all their resources building nukes, put an SDI in all your cities except one that is under SDI cover from another city. The AI will "see" all, and waste every nuke it has against your one city without one. Turn after turn after turn. It's fun to watch, and there is nothing better than taking advantage of the AI's see all policy

Ming - Once again, I am simply *astonished* at the things people learn about this game! How far does an SDI cover? Do the cities have to overlap? Do they have to be in the path of the incoming nuke? Is it that the incoming nuke transgresses the city radius of the SDI city?
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

The AI might see all, but in my experience, if they do, they have a flag which prevents them from taking advantage of it in most cases. It does seem like caravans know exactly where to go when looking for a city, although they only come from one side of my civ. I've tended to avoid trading maps in the past, partly because when I did, it seemed like I suddenly had units from that civ converging on me from all sides, instead of encountering me only on the ground of my choosing. As for AI nuking me, well, I tend to slow down science anyway I can to prevent discovery of things from the post-modern era - especially nukes, so nukes may well be another 'exception' unit - i don't have a lot of experience in nuke games. In the last diety game i played, I was finally researching atomic theory in the 1880's, after I had reduced the AI's to 5 capitol cities. I guess I tend to like it when the defense have the advantage in war.
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Working...
                      X