Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open letter to Sid : I hate the rising inequality-tendency in the series, sorry !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to Sid : I hate the rising inequality-tendency in the series, sorry !

What I loved about the old Civ 1 & 2 was that all Civilizations were equal
    and competed fairly, like one human tribe against another human tribe !

I cannot remember when this "BONUS"-thing started; maybe it slowly grew
    from the leaders personality-detailization in Civ 3, but I do recall an option
    to play without "BONUSES" in Civ 4, right ?

What has happened to Civ 5 ?

We're bound to install via Steam, get an account (!) as good customers with
    money and re-install via the "disguised" game-marketing-hype-site Steam !

We're locked out from playing a civilization without "BONUSES" unless You
    use an unofficial mod and on Your own responsability ?!?!

Well thank You very much Sid !!!

For forcing us all on the internet, for not clearly telling us how to play offline,
    for forcing us to only play updated with changed rules/effects if we re-install,
    for "trusting" the millions of people who legally bought Your game and now is
    just a money-making-machine with a few copy-protection-difficulties to You ?

I don't want to go in to details (just see what happened from Civ 3 !) but yes,
    I'm beginning to understand why Civilization: Call to Power & Call to Power 2
    was perhaps a better continuation than Civ 3 ... which actually stole elements
    from CCTP 1 & CTP2 .
    Now, there was a society-relevant & politically interesting humour developing
    in the Call to Power-series - remember the Corporate Branches, the Lawyers
    and the Televangelists ?

I miss the IT-rebellion Civilization was; the InformationTechnology-revolution
    based on Habermas theories; politically idealistic and with Civ2, visions about
    Climate changes caused by pollution, by industry - where has this gone, Sid ?

Not to mention the Civ1 earthquakes, volcanoes, floods & famines ?

Today there's only BIG BUSINESS left; with no sharp edges and tribes having
    different advantages or BONUSES according to history and general perception
    of these tribes, dare I say RACES ?!? Was tiny Denmark added strategically,
    politically pretty/correct, because we backed USA's wars in Iraq & Afghanistan
    and our Ex-PrimeMinister (Anders Fogh Rasmussen) now is the head of NATO ?

I haven't checked Gods & Kings, maybe the No-Bonus-Option has returned, but
    to wait on an expansion-pack for this very simple demand is a rising tendency .

How will You respond to this Sid ?

Probably You'll give us some technical explanation about the whole game would
    collapse, the whole point of the game would be lost if we would get this option ...

Well, maybe the whole point is that I don't feel any freedom from "Bonus-Races",
    I don't sense any humour in advisors or leaders, I don't see any relevance to the
    powers of today in policy and I don't think there's any actuality to the crisis of the
    real world such as recession etc ! It's not even an edutainment-game now ...

Maybe Your point is : All is doing well and maybe You're happy in that Matrix ?

But for romantic revolutionaries = hippies like me, the game of Civilization is lost .

I will play the old games, even Civ 4 where I still could choose equality, but Civ 5
    is like an old flame gone fat & lazy, even dumb sometimes . When I look at the
    technologies and their associations/possibilities it looks confused and by chance -
    when looking at the possibilities of trade and diplomacy, limits pop-up frequently .

OK, in many ways Civ 5 has improved the "game-smoothness" and from time to
    time I will test if I feel differently about this old fat, lazy, phony mistress of mine .
    But I fear for how she'll look like next time around ...
    Maybe You should throw some black humour in and call the next : Civ 6 6 6 ?

PS : I don't think You're a coward, but I pray that Your money will annoy You
    Take a load of Fanny, take a load for free,
    Ahhh, You put the load right on me !
    The Band

Why you hate from it?

Comment

Working...
    X