Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there really no electric kettles in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there really no electric kettles in the USA?

I find it completely unbelievable. Do people really have no kettles in the US, or is it an elaborate prank played on me?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Seeing as I own one and did not smuggle into the country, I think someone is having a laugh at your expense.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

They're sold here, so I assume some people own them.

Comment

My brother has one. I'm pretty sure he didn't have to bootleg it.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

There are lots of people who don't have one though. From what I hear you could say they are even uncommon. They certainly aren't ubiquitous like they are in the UK.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Well, you can just use a microwave to heat water. The only reason he has one is that for some reason it's not allowed for him to have a microwave in his dorm room.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It was not that common.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I should've said "almost no kettles".

And no dish draining closets either?
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yes, if you have a microwave they're really not needed but if you google it, you get over 6 mil hits so it's not like they're that uncommon.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    I find it completely unbelievable. Do people really have no kettles in the US, or is it an elaborate prank played on me?
                    I have one sitting on my desk at work.

On another board I frequent there are many furriners who are astonished that people boil water on the range instead of in electric kettles. They are further astonished that my electric kettle whistles.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

What the heck is a dish draining closet?

Comment

We have abundant cheap natural gas, I think that has something to do with it. Electric-anything-that -can-be-done-well-enough-on-a-stove is uncommon, so kettles, rice cookers, steamers, and griddles tend to be uncommon. Even percolators are rare, as drip is preferred, and stove top percolators are available.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Microwaved water makes crap tea. - FACT

(I don't know why)
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

We have plentiful natural gas in the UK and plenty of gas hobs (I have one), but virtually every house will still have an electric kettle. They are MUCH faster.

This must mean they are also more efficient as the wattage tends to be lower than a high powered gas burner.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Do you mean a dishrack?

We have those.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X