Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do pictures on the camera's LCD look so much better and brighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do pictures on the camera's LCD look so much better and brighter?

I've noticed that pictures look fantastic on my camera' LCD display but when I put them on the computer, the colors look dull and washed out, as if all the brightness and contrast just disappeared and everything looks grey (I don't know the proper terminology for this). For example, my skin complexion goes from bright and slightly tan to well, grey.

They look equally dull and grey on other computers, as well.

What gives?

Thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

1. Viewing angles.
    2. Display settings.

Adjust the LCD on your camera, if you can, to match your PC. Then adjust the picture controls until you get the pop you need.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
      1. Viewing angles.
      2. Display settings.

Adjust the LCD on your camera, if you can, to match your PC. Then adjust the picture controls until you get the pop you need.
      So pretty much then all pictures will look grey and washed out?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He said to
        1.adjust the camera screen controls so that the photos look like they do on your computer, so you can see the final result and are not surprised when you transfer them to your computer AND
        2.adjust the actual photo taking settings so that the pictures look good on the camera screen.

Comment

How can I take actually brighter photos rather than ones that just look bright on the camera display? I tried all the different flash settings and it's all still washed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            I've noticed that pictures look fantastic on my camera' LCD display but when I put them on the computer, the colors look dull and washed out, as if all the brightness and contrast just disappeared and everything looks grey (I don't know the proper terminology for this). For example, my skin complexion goes from bright and slightly tan to well, grey.

They look equally dull and grey on other computers, as well.

What gives?

Thanks
            Take pictures of your camera's LCD with another camera!
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

My guess is that you have a crappy camera.

Try shooting outside on a nice sunny day, no flash. If that still looks dark when transferred to PC, you have an issue.

Another thought: If your computer has a matte/no-glare screen, a loss of brightness is normal.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Most P&S cameras oversaturate their LCDs.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yep, you can probably get the bright and colorful effect by software. I guess something like Picasa has such features and is free to use.

I am also pretty sure that Windows photo viewer does some processing on the photos as well and does not actually show the "true" image. I am not sure what are you using to watch the pictures on your computer.
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

The photos look equally dull on multiple software platforms.

I wish there was some way to show the difference. It's striking. I'm not sure a no-glare screen would reduce the brightness this much.

I figure it's more saturated on the LCD... so how can I get the right amount of saturation through software? I increase the saturation incrementally and it just doesn't approach the level of brightness and vivid color on the LCD. It brightens but everything is still mostly grey.

It's also grey with no color on my Zune's LCD.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 11, 2012, 12:47.

Comment

The only way you can do that is with ViviColor glasses. I can sell you a pair if you want. Only $100.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Maybe your monitor is crap. (or not set up right) See the pictures on a nice TV (it might be easier to find than a nice monitor)
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                          Maybe your monitor is crap. (or not set up right) See the pictures on a nice TV (it might be easier to find than a nice monitor)
                          The pictures look identical on 2 different monitors and my Zune's screen.

Regardless, even if they looked great on a tv, that's not a good thing because they'll look crappy on the computer screen of anyone else who sees the photo. I want to make the photo on the computer look like the bright, vivid one on the camera.

Comment

Give us the model of your camera. We might be able to point you towards correct picture controls. Also, flash will never help you make saturated pictures.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Nikon Coolpix S630

thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X