Article: RoN Developer Big Huge Games Shuts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: RoN Developer Big Huge Games Shuts Down

The ongoing financial struggles at the Rhode Island-based 38 Studios came to a head this afternoon, as an affected source has confirmed to Gamasutra that 38 Studios and its subsidiary Big Huge Games have laid off their entire staff.
    Big Huge Games developed Rise of Nations and its expansion Thrones and Patriots.

[ Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17101...tire_staff.php ]
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Don't you have your own website to run these days?

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ View Post
      Big Huge Games developed Rise of Nations and its expansion Thrones and Patriots.

[ Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17101...tire_staff.php ]
      That's too bad. Thanks for posting this.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Apolyton has again a RoN section, so is there anybody who wants to expand the opening post into a news item of some substance. Like adding some background about Big Huge games. How old it is, the games it made. Some stuff about RoN, like what type of game it is exactly. When was it released. Something like I have done with the Colonization news item. By the way we have a Colonization section again, too.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I got his blurb off Sports Illustrated:

When former pitching ace Curt Schilling started his own video game company, 38 Studios, there was plenty of interest within the gaming industry and from curios fans. When 38 Studios released Kingdoms of Amalur: Recknoning in February 2012, the fantasy RPG was well received. The game sold 1.2 million copies but apparently that wasn't enough to keep the company afloat. On May 25, the entire staff of 300-plus was laid off. The biggest loser however appears to the be the state of Rhode Island which loaned Schilling's company $75 million to get the company housed in Providence and to help stimulate tech jobs. Ouch.

Thats too bad for such a large failed investment.

One would have thought especially in today tighter economic climate, a more solid investment of Rhode Island's funds could have been found?

Im personally not a huge fan of say an actor being a spokesperson for Middle East Peace summitt or a baseball player having an upstart Video Game company, being bankrolled with public funds.....just sayin...

Gramps

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...#ixzz1wbPDduQt
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
            That's too bad.
            Agreed.

Thanks for posting this.
            Welcome.

Further to what GT posted above, there is a post-mortem article on Examiner.com that goes into considerable detail including links to related items.
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Epic has "saved" BHG.

They are opening a new studio in Baltimore with BHG staff.

Baltimore-based Big Huge Games, the subsidiary of 38 Studios responsible for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, was caught up in the company's complete meltdown and suddenly shuttered at the end of May.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
              X