Republicans really do hate gay people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    It's nice to be able to demonize your opponents.

If this were the case, then why does there exist people like myself who believes the hypothetical is true, does not support gay marriage based on it somehow being discriminatory not to allow a man to marry another man, and yet still be in favor due to the social benefits.

I wonder what % of the those who are in favor of gay marriage are in favor for reasons other than thinking that it would be discriminatory not to allow a man to marry another man...

jM
    If you think not allowing homosexuals to get the same benefits heterosexuals receive isn't discriminatory, you are holding an irrational position. "It isn't discrimination to discriminate on the basis of gender or sexual orientation" is a contradictory statement.

Comment

• How are homosexuals not allowed to get the same benefits as heterosexuals?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Why the fvck would I want to marry a woman?
        So you do admit that you can marry a woman, just that you choose not to marry one? Hey, life sucks, it ain't fair. We can't all marry the person we want to marry.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          How are homosexuals not allowed to get the same benefits as heterosexuals?

JM
          They are not allowed to have their relationships recognized as marriages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            So you do admit that you can marry a woman, just that you choose not to marry one? Hey, life sucks, it ain't fair. We can't all marry the person we want to marry.
            Yes. Sometimes because of legal discrimination. Why you think the government should make life suck more I will never understand.

Comment

• Lot's of relationships don't get recognized as marriage.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                Imran, you are making my point for me. Compare this to anti-same-sex marriage laws. They didn't even exist because "same-sex marriage" was already a contradiction in terms. There was no need to ban something that was logically impossible.

This is an actual example of the exception proving the rule.
                Considering Leviticus appears to be against same sex relationships in general, I'm guessing marriage would be right out as well. It appears to me that "traditional marriage" means no miscegenation if we are defining it in your terms. Or, rather that whole call back for "traditional marriage" really makes no logical sense whatsoever, considering there is no such thing (well, I guess unless your tradition doesn't actually go back as far as you would like people to believe it does).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Gribbler:

You have said earlier, that homophobes are not arguing that marriage is not a right. So, given that marriage is a right, and that gay people are citizens of the United States, it's irrational to deny American citizens the right that other citizens enjoy, on the grounds that marriage is traditionally conceived/understood as between two people of opposite genders.
                  As Mr. Fun has admitted - no one is stopping him from marrying a woman, save himself. Ergo, he is declining to exercise a 'right', not having a 'right' taken away from him.

What instead, he is asking for - is for the state to recognise the right to marry someone of the same sex as him. He is also assuming that 'sex doesn't matter', wrt marriage.

So, in order for him to succeed in his case - he needs to explain why sex shouldn't matter in marriage, not that his is being 'discriminated against'. The state discriminates against those who want to get married to more than one person at the same time, it discriminates against those who want to marry a 14 year old. It legally discrminates against those who want to get married to someone who is a blood relative.

Ergo - there is no such 'right' to get married to whomever you want. Never has been. The state is under no obligation to recognize any relationship as marriage, unless it meets the present legal definition of marriage, (and a few other conditions, residency, etc).

Oh, and one other thing, marriage isn't private - you don't have the right to marry someone without letting other people know. You can be with them - but you won't be legally married. This is different from freedom of association, etc.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Please ignore Ben's post, Grib. It's not worth the effort.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Why you think the government should make life suck more I will never understand
                      Why liberals believe that government ever does anything that doesn't make life suck more, I will never understand. Yes, the government makes stuff suck. This is a guarantee.

Comment

Gribbler:

As Mr. Fun has admitted - no one is stopping him from marrying a woman, save himself. Ergo, he is declining to exercise a 'right', not having a 'right' taken away from him.
                        That is completely, utterly wrong. If miscegenation is banned, a white person who declines to marry a white person because they are in love with a black person is being denied their rights. Likewise with same-sex marriage.

Comment

Why liberals believe that government ever does anything that doesn't make life suck more, I will never understand. Yes, the government makes stuff suck. This is a guarantee.
                          Please explain how laws against the malicious, premeditated killing of another human being make life suck more. Or, admit that some of what the government does makes life suck less.

Comment

• That is completely, utterly wrong. If miscegenation is banned, a white person who declines to marry a white person because they are in love with a black person is being denied their rights. Likewise with same-sex marriage.
                            Do you believe that the color of a persons skin is as relevant as their sexuality wrt marriage? Do you believe that it is just as hard for a white man to love a black woman as it is for a gay man to truly love a woman?

Comment

• Please explain how laws against the malicious, premeditated killing of another human being make life suck more. Or, admit that some of what the government does makes life suck less.
                              Plenty of honest men and women have gotten themselves into trouble by defending themselves and their families against home invaders through the use of deadly force. Why? Because government doesn't protect the honest.

How exactly does the state protect me from getting murdered or killed? Someone seeing me and calling 911 and hopefully getting to the hospital before I expire?

Comment

Do you believe that the color of a persons skin is as relevant as their sexuality wrt marriage? Do you believe that it is just as hard for a white person to love a black person as it is for a gay man to truly love a woman?
                                It's not hard to love someone of a different race. It is rather difficult for a homosexual to love a woman. A homosexual loves a man the way a woman loves a man, why should the government discriminate on account of their genitalia?

Comment

Working...
                                X