Republicans really do hate gay people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    It is also frankly ridiculous to read a right to marriage for blonde people into the Constitution.
    Look. You and I both think the whole "marriage is defined as between a man and a woman!" argument is stupid, because definitions don't actually matter and letting gay couples call themselves married would make them very happy at almost no cost. We think that the whole "marriage is good because it produces babies!" argument is stupid, because we don't penalize married couples that don't have kids. And so on with all the various other arguments. But there are enough arguments, and they have enough logical coherence between them (even if they are wrong), that a legislator can honestly say "marriage and gay marriage are different things and gay people are perfectly free to marry, just not gay marry" and the court should not second-guess him. Laws should generally not be struck down on the basis that the legislators who passed them were mistaken on the facts or used poor reasoning, because the court is just as susceptible to those errors.

Comment

It is frankly ridiculous to read a right to interracial marriage into the constitution. Thanks for clarifying what "equal protection under the law" means, right wingers

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        Look. You and I both think the whole "marriage is defined as between a man and a woman!" argument is stupid, because definitions don't actually matter and letting gay couples call themselves married would make them very happy at almost no cost. We think that the whole "marriage is good because it produces babies!" argument is stupid, because we don't penalize married couples that don't have kids. And so on with all the various other arguments. But there are enough arguments, and they have enough logical coherence between them (even if they are wrong), that a legislator can honestly say "marriage and gay marriage are different things and gay people are perfectly free to marry, just not gay marry" and the court should not second-guess him. Laws should generally not be struck down on the basis that the legislators who passed them were mistaken on the facts or used poor reasoning, because the court is just as susceptible to those errors.

To be fair, a panel of esteemed judges tend to be far more intelligent than South Carolina Republican state representatives. Y'all.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Look, don't make fun of "Y'all" because after all it sounds way less dumb than "you guys" and everything else folks up here say.

Comment

That's right, eh?
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              It is frankly ridiculous to read a right to interracial marriage into the constitution. Thanks for clarifying what "equal protection under the law" means, right wingers
              You are bad at this.

Comment

gribbler, is polygamy a Constitutional right?

Comment

It is frankly ridiculous to read a right to gay marriage into the Constitution.
                  By definition of the Fourteenth Amendment, gay people who are born or naturalized in the United States, are citizens of the United States, yes?
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You are bad at this.
                    Nah, gribbler made a valid point. If marriage is not a right, then the US Supreme Court was out of bounds in ruling that laws prohibiting interracial marriage was unconstitutional.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post; not a failing on your part, I'm sure, but on mine. Can you clarify, especially in regards to my previous post?
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

gribbler, is polygamy a Constitutional right?
                        No one is even born a polygamist so that is not a valid comparison. You are also exceptionally bad at this if you think people want bans on gay marriage to be struck down on the basis of whether the bigots are being stupid instead of on the basis of equal rights.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          No one is even born a polygamist so that is not a valid comparison. You are also exceptionally bad at this if you think people want bans on gay marriage to be struck down on the basis of whether the bigots are being stupid instead of on the basis of equal rights.
                          ^ This. The precedent of Loving v. Virginia appears to control here. Now if you want to argue that homosexuality shouldn't be a protected class because its a choice, I guess you could (though it'd be silly).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How about the fact that the Constitution just doesn't have anything to say on the topic of homosexuality? It protects discrimination based on race and sex but not sexual orientation.

Comment

The anti-miscegenation statutes existed to help preserve the unequal status of blacks. Bans on same-sex marriage exist to perpetuate the unequal status of homosexuals. People don't have a choice about being black, and gays generally don't have a choice in the matter. It is a very close parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                                How about the fact that the Constitution just doesn't have anything to say on the topic of homosexuality? It protects discrimination based on race and sex but not sexual orientation.
                                There is nothing in the Constitution that explicitly prevents sex-based discrimination (except on the issue of suffrage). Thanks conservatives for killing the equal rights amendment

Comment

Working...
                                X