Finland or Malta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finland or Malta?

My last contract expired and I have now been offered another one... make that
    two. One in Malta and one in Helsinki. Both for 1 year. The pay is a bit better in
    Helsinki but the taxes are 185% of it and the cost of living is high. Malta has much
    better weather... but it's kind of small. What will I do there for a year? So I can't
    really decide. Anyone has any pros/cons for the either?

Salaries offered are (gross, pre-tax amounts): Malta 30K euros, Finland 40K euros.
    Yeah, not much, but fine with me. I don't need to raise a family on it. Companies
    are similar with regards to type of work. So what decides for me... is what I can do
    with myself during this year... profesionally and in free time. What would you do?

Malta. Why do you have to do anything? Sit back, enjoy the weather.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

if i were you, i would choose malta. it's nice, cheap and warm. you'd be near to italy and north africa, lots of cool historical places to visit if that's your thing.

of course if you prefer wild, frozen landscapes and naked sauna, you should pick finland.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If you want hot but introverted blond girls then go to Finland while if you want sun, sand, and can put up with living on a tiny island then go Malta. It's almost summer so I'd go with Finland.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You could go to pick up tourists in Malta. True, they'll all be over 70, but beggars can't be choosers
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

How is this even a choice?
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              while if you want sun, sand, and can put up with living on a tiny island then go Malta.
              Malta has about 1200 m of sand beaches that are filled with tourists.

I suggest you go to Finland - you may meet Pekka and that beats everything
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Malta, hands down. Ignore the Scandinavian.

Comment

Um, Malta is not that far from Italy or northern Africa. So when you're bored on the small island, go elsewhere for your leisure time.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is there a ferry from Malta to Italy or do you have to fly?
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Malta.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My daughter informs me that they have boats on Malta. She loved it there, but it was just a vacation.
                        Malta would be my choice.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Whoa, dude! An island where people have boats! That's like, far out man.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Is there a ferry from Malta to Italy or do you have to fly?
                            Catamaran to Catania if memory serves me correctly, but there are also flights too.
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have to decide by the end of the week.
                              I'm really the kind of guy who fits in everywhere (I think) and wouldn't mind living in either country.
                              More money is preferable, of course, but if I figured out the taxes correctly it's a net salary of
                              2500 eur in Finland compared to 2000 eur in Malta. 25% more in Finland... but then again, the
                              prices seem to be higher too. And is there more to do in a small country with nice weather almost
                              the whole year around or in a big country with a not so nice weather?

Comment

Working...
                              X