1UPT, yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1UPT, yet again

The largest complain about 1UPT is that it is difficult to store and move units. I think there is VERY simple solution that can be implemented (for example in coming expansion pack) by re-introducing stacks:

1) Have all units in stack ranked by defense value (applying other modifiers, such as if the stack is in the forest and the unit have specific bonus to defense in the forest, then this modified value should be used instead of the base value), with some other factors logically incorporated (say, a pikeman may be of higher ranking than some other unit that have slightly better defense, because pikeman provides +100% defense against some units). This ranking can be either visible to player, as a number, or not. It does not matter much, as long as the ranking is logical.

2) The rank is multiplied by health (so rank should be like actual defense value) and the unit with highest rank*health parameter is considered on top of the stack. When stack is attacked, (even if multiple times), only that unit fights. And if it loses, the whole stack is gone. (Civ II style).

3) (optional, not sure if indeed is needed) If the top unit was attacked but did not die, and its health was reduced, then all units in the stack should have their health reduced by the same value (some may die because of it). It may be useful to have this behavior to stop constant changing of the top unit in things like city siege by ranged unit with some protective unit on top of them. Alternatively, this rule can be applied only when attacked by ranged unit (including city), or only to city attack.

4) Only one unit from the stack can attack. The other units in stack still can attack, but they have to spend move points by moving out first from the stack.

THAT'S IT! It is very simple and logical addition that will force stacks to be used mostly as storage/transportation stacks, usually not suitable for combat. So, you still have same tactical combat, without the hassle of moving units through each other, like now. And, we probably should have possibility to move the whole stack as well, as it was done in Civ IV.

It can also provide new tactical options for battle. For example, would you keep your archer with pikeman as single stack? Pikeman will protect stack better, but you will lose 2 units if your pikemen loses.

We can even have additional promotions for units to use this dynamic. Here are some examples of promotions:
    a) Can attack from stack even if another unit has attacked already
    b) Does not lose health if the top unit loses health
    c) Does not die if the top unit dies
    d) Always on top of the stack. And if receives damage, the stack does not suffer. If the unit dies, the stack does not die.

And so on.

I think it is very basic addition, simplifies movement and gives extra combat depth and options. What do you think? I am sure that something like this was discussed in the past, but may be not this particular implementation.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Don't confuse the people at Firaxis with logic.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mkorin View Post
      Don't confuse the people at Firaxis with logic.

Mike
      Hopefully it can be done as mod...
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

If you're moding, here's one I would love.

City Defense is horribly done especially if you have the SP oligarchy which allows 100% city defense if you have a garrison. That means a garrison not just in the city, but fortified. Given the auto rotation of the units flying all over the map, I often forget to unfortify an archer etc to use it's fire power, plus it's irritating to flop all over the map. So here is my logic:

1. When you click on the ! that says your city can attack it interupts the computer flow of units and runs this sub-routine
        2. Fortify the unit if not fortified
        3. Open the city attack screen
        4. Once you attack from the city unfortify the garrison
        5. Open the garrison attack screen
        6. Resume the computer controlled flow.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X