North Carolina (in before MrFun!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    I believe the civil right is against discrimination. At least, this is the case in Canada. I don't care how the US does it.

There is no right to marriage - there is a right to be free from discrimination on sexual orientation, amongst other things.
    You could argue all day on this--I don't think there's one conclusively correct answer, but it's my opinion that the distinction between gay marriage and traditional marriage is a perfectly reasonable one.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      And if it's not a fundamental right, then it's perfectly ok for the state to discriminate.
      I don't think you understand. I'm not arguing about the legality of what's going on in the USA.

I'm making the point that North Carolinans are unintelligent rednecks. They're welcome to do whatever the **** they want to further entrench their state as a redneck backwater. The rest of the world is moving on, North Carolina and Iran are free to hang out in the back.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        You could argue all day on this--I don't think there's one conclusively correct answer, but it's my opinion that the distinction between gay marriage and traditional marriage is a perfectly reasonable one.
        And it's fine to have ridiculous opinions. Freedom of speech and all.

There's no reason to it whatsoever.

Is it because marriage is a contract with God? (BZZ, church/state)
        Is it because marriage is for procreation? (BZZ, not a requirement)
        Is it because marriage has "always been like that? (BZZ, weaksauce and not even true)
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And if it's not a fundamental right, then it's perfectly ok for the state to discriminate.
          False So very very very false.
          Imagine - states having rights? Who knew?
          What the **** does this have to do with state's rights? I don't think Canada has a 10th amendment the way the US does. The definition of marriage is not something left up to the provinces--deal with it.

Comment

False

What the **** does this have to do with state's rights? I don't think Canada has a 10th amendment the way the US does. The definition of marriage is not something left up to the provinces--deal with it.
            All of the provinces have individually passed legislation legalizing it, as well.

Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in the provinces and territories as of the following dates:

June 10, 2003: Ontario
            July 8, 2003: British Columbia
            March 16, 2004: Quebec
            July 14, 2004: Yukon territory
            September 16, 2004: Manitoba
            September 24, 2004: Nova Scotia
            November 5, 2004: Saskatchewan
            December 21, 2004: Newfoundland and Labrador
            June 23, 2005: New Brunswick
            July 20, 2005 (Civil Marriage Act): Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut territory, and the Northwest Territories

Note that in some of these cases, the marriage was in fact legal at an earlier date (for example, the Ontario ruling held that marriages performed in January 2001 were legal when performed), but the legality was questioned. As of the given dates, the legality was authoritatively established.

The decision by the Ontario government to recognize the marriage that took place in Toronto, Ontario, on January 14, 2001, makes Canada the first country in the world to have a government-legitimated same-sex marriage (the Netherlands and Belgium, which legalized same-sex marriage before Canada, had their first in April 2001 and January 2003, respectively).[2]
            There's a reason Ben fled Canada, and it's called rationality. He fears it. So he went straight to Big Tex.

All of Canada turned against him.

Comment

All of the provinces have individually passed legislation legalizing it, as well.

So it doesn't even matter then!

Comment

Can someone explain why this was put up for vote in a primary and not a general election? If having the people decide the rights of a minority is so important shouldn't it happen in an election with high turnout?

Comment

What the **** does this have to do with state's rights?
                  Everything.

I don't think Canada has a 10th amendment the way the US does.
                  They have a constitution.

The definition of marriage is not something left up to the provinces
                  Actually, yes it is, hence my point.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Can someone explain why this was put up for vote in a primary and not a general election? If having the people decide the rights of a minority is so important shouldn't it happen in an election with high turnout?
                    I don't think it's terribly relevant. But actually if you think about it low turnout could be beneficial to something restricting the rights of minorities, because you can count on the minorities turning out in good numbers while unaffected people stay home.

Comment

YES.

I cannot emphasize that enough.

The government should be out of the marriage game entirely.

The government has three choices:
                      • Create difficulties for married people.
                      • Give benefits to married people.
                      • Do nothing to married people.

The first seems obviously unreasonable. The second encourages sham marriages. "Do nothing" should be the default rule of thumb anyway, and it's particularly obvious when the non-default options suck.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

There's a reason Ben fled Canada, and it's called rationality. He fears it. So he went straight to Big Tex.
                        Look up 'Coren Agreement'. BC didn't just pass it, they also made it part of their curriculum. As a humanities teacher, I have a choice, teach it there or teach elsewhere. I chose the latter. Texas at least values my contribution...
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't think it's terribly relevant. But actually if you think about it low turnout could be beneficial to something restricting the rights of minorities, because you can count on the minorities turning out in good numbers while unaffected people stay home.
                          It doesn't make sense in this case. There are far more rednecks than gays in North Carolina. In order to reject the ban, the gays depended on the reasonable middle which don't show up to such silly polls.

Comment

Look up 'Coren Agreement'. BC didn't just pass it, they also made it part of their curriculum. As a humanities teacher, I have a choice, teach it there or teach elsewhere. I chose the latter.
                            More proof of the awesomeness of Canada.

Texas at least values my contribution...
                            Oh, I'm sure they do.

Y'all learned yer correct grammers in Texas.

Comment

Hey, do you teach law, Ben?

Comment

Y'all learned yer correct grammers in Texas.
                                So the ex-torontonian who fled to Alberta is mocking Texans for being rednecks? Sheesh.

Real rednecks ride and shoot guns and do all kinds of stuff. What would you know about rednecks? The only redneck you've ever seen is from your tanning salon.

Comment

Working...
                                X