No announcement yet.

NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how many Cups the Sharks would have if they kept Kiprusoff?
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Certainly more than they have now.

Clutch goaltending would've been the difference...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ben, do you seriously think that Burrows is more valuable than Iginla?
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Ben, do you seriously think that Burrows is more valuable than Iginla?
          Burrows at 2 is more valuable than Iggy at 7. I don't think Iggy is worth 3.25x what Burrows is worth. If Burrows is getting 2, I could see Iggy at 3. At 7, Iggy is a liability.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Burrows does have a nice contract, because Burrows isn't smart enough to get anything better.

But when you're building a team for a cup run, you don't go for value. Burrows is the liability - his antics divide a team and embarrass many of them. He's distracting. Iginla is a consummate team guy with plenty of experience and leadership skills, not to mention a better player across the board.

I'm sure if you asked every GM who they'd prefer to acquire at the trade deadline - Iginla at 7 or Burrows at 2, every single one of them would pick Iginla.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'd take Iggy too at the trade deadline.

Comment

I'm sure if you asked every GM who they'd prefer to acquire at the trade deadline - Iginla at 7 or Burrows at 2, every single one of them would pick Iginla.
                You can put 5 million and get yourself another really good player. But I guess this is Calgary's method. Spend on Iggy and miss the playoffs due to lack of depth.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  You can put 5 million and get yourself another really good player. But I guess this is Calgary's method. Spend on Iggy and miss the playoffs due to lack of depth.
                  Yep. Iggy's the reason Calgary missed the playoffs. It wasn't the fact that Sutter traded away any high draft pick over the past five years and drafted poorly when he did have picks, and signed a bunch of washed up geriatrics to contracts hoping they'd relive their glory days.

PS: I wouldn't want Burrows on my team for league minimum salary. There's such a thing as a distraction and a negative influence. His numbers are inflated due to linemates anyway.

Comment

signed a bunch of washed up geriatrics to contracts hoping they'd relive their glory days.
                    Kipper and Iggy?

Comment

Yep. Sutter traded for and signed them to contracts when they were geriatrics. Very good, Ben.

FWIW, Iginla and Kiprusoff continue to be the Flames that consistently deliver. Anyone who says they are why the Flames missed the playoffs must be a Canucks fan or Texan.

Comment

FWIW, Iginla and Kiprusoff continue to be the Flames that consistently deliver. Anyone who says they are why the Flames missed the playoffs must be a Canucks fan or Texan.
                        Flames would be better off without both of them.

Comment

Yep. If they had Cloutier and Linden instead, they'd have won a dozen cups by now. They are clearly the weak links.

Comment

Iggy is by no means overpriced, Ben.

Comment

11 straight seasons of 30 goals or more. How many other players can boast that?

(And very nearly 13 straight seasons -- he had 28 and 29 in the first two)

Last season he was #3 in the league for goals, IIRC.

This season he slipped to 17, technically, but if he scored a couple more he'd be in the top 10 again (they bunch up around the 32-35 mark)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                Yeah, a decade ago. Things change, Asher. Are you willing to gamble that the magical kipper of 2004 is the same as the kipper today? Makes no sense to me.

Actually his level of play this year was extremely high. There are many pundits and commentators including Lanny MacDonald who lamented how bad the Flames were this year and made the point thatr the only reason they weren't down in the standings with Columbus was the excellenceof Kipper.

For a team
                                1. looking to win right now and not wanting a long term obligation OR
                                2. where the actual dollars matter and the cap hit is less relevent

for both these types of team, Kipper is the better bargain-- Two years of a high level guy at less money is way better than 10-12 years of a guy two years younger at more money
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X