NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Off-season Thread

Flames just signed one of the KHL's top players to a 1 year, $3.7M deal: Roman Cervenka.

Never heard of the dude before, but hey, it's something new.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I remember him from the Olympics.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I assume this is a sign that Calgary is going to keep with their aging core for as long as they last.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I don't think it's a sign either way;

Besides, who is the core? Iginla and Kipper are the only ones left. I think it would make sense to trade them for some prospects, as much as I like them both.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Besides, who is the core? Iginla and Kipper are the only ones left. I think it would make sense to trade them for some prospects, as much as I like them both.
          Didn't I say that last year? I think Calgary should hang onto both of them. They won't get fair value for either now.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

No one cares for your opinion on hockey...or just about anything, Ben.

I was for trading them last year as well. There's still tremendous value for them now.

Kipper should get more in return than Luongo would. He's a better goaltender without a stupid contract.
            Iginla is still one of the best forwards in the game with a short contract left, too.

Both are valuable additions to any cup contender.

Comment

Kipper should get more in return than Luongo would. He's a better goaltender without a stupid contract.
              He's also 37.

Iginla is still one of the best forwards in the game with a short contract left, too.
              Alexandre Burrows:

28 g 24a 52 points +24

Jarome Iginla

32g 35a 67 points -10.

He's a liability. As a first line sniper, he's 19th in the league. Below average, and he's 34. For 4 fewer goals, you can get Burrows at 2 million, who's younger, instead of paying Iginla 7 million.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                He's also 37.
                He's 35 and Luongo is 33.
                The difference is Kiprusoff put up better numbers on a worse team and isn't known to **** the bed in the playoffs and has won hardware. Oh, and he has $6.5M total left on his contract ($5M next, $1.5 for 13/14). Luongo has $54M left on his. Also, Kipper doesn't have the ego or reputation for being mentally weak.

Alexandre Burrows:

28 g 24a 52 points +24

Jarome Iginla

32g 35a 67 points -10.

He's a liability. As a first line sniper, he's 19th in the league. Below average, and he's 34. For 4 fewer goals, you can get Burrows at 2 million, who's younger, instead of paying Iginla 7 million.
                Yes, Burrows and Iginla are comparable players and bring the same thing to teams. Any cup contender would be begging for Burrows on their team, won't they? Why the **** would they want some tool like Iginla when they can get the real deal in Burrows?

Comment

The difference is Kiprusoff put up better numbers on a worse team and isn't known to **** the bed in the playoffs and has won hardware. Oh, and he has $6.5M total left on his contract ($5M next, $1.5 for 13/14). Luongo has $54M left on his. Also, Kipper doesn't have the ego or reputation for being mentally weak.
                  And yet Luongo has a superior playoff and regular season record, and is younger, and is known for actually being able to carry teams into the playoffs. I guess if you're Columbus you'll want someone like Kipper.

Why the **** would they want some tool like Iginla when they can get the real deal in Burrows
                  Because they can get 90 percent of the production for 30 percent of the cost? Iggy at 7 is a terrible deal.

Comment

You are right. Luongo is famous for taking a team that had no business in the playoffs to game 7 of the finals when he was with Florida. Kiprusoff never did this. He always had the luxury of a ridiculously talented team in front of him.

Comment

Luongo is famous for taking a team that had no business in the playoffs
                      So you're saying that Calgary's SCF in 2004 was a fluke? Glad to hear it.

Comment

It wasn't a fluke. It was because of Kiprusoff.

Kiprusoff carried that team to the SCF. Luongo only gets into the playoffs by coasting on a talented team. When he doesn't have the most talented team, he never makes the playoffs. Hell, even WITH a talented team infront of him Luongo has managed to miss the playoffs. Hell, even when he makes the playoffs with a talented team infront of him, he's designated as the backup to some kid.

Luongo's trade value is very low right now. Kiprusoff would be in far higher demand on the trade market.

Kipper is a clutch goaltender. Luongo ****s the bed if there's any pressure.

Comment

Kipper is a clutch goaltender. Luongo ****s the bed if there's any pressure.
                          Which is why Kipper chokes whenever he sniffs the playoffs. They haven't won a series in almost a decade.

Comment

Any idiot could look at his numbers and see he doesn't choke during the playoffs. Any hockey fan can remember the series and recall Kiprusoff kept the team in those series for longer than they deserved, most often.

You continually conflate a team with a goaltender. A goaltender cannot score, but can only keep pucks out. Kiprusoff has better numbers over Luongo across the board in that area. Further, Kiprusoff is consistent in the playoffs and reliable. You never know which Luongo will show up in a playoff game, which wrecks a team's confidence.

A team with Kiprusoff on it has never lost a series in less than six games -- and he's lost playoff series with save percentages like 92.9%. You can't blame those losses on the goaltender if the team in front of him rarely scores.

Comment

Any hockey fan can remember the series and recall Kiprusoff kept the team in those series for longer than they deserved, most often.
                              Yeah, a decade ago. Things change, Asher. Are you willing to gamble that the magical kipper of 2004 is the same as the kipper today? Makes no sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X