No announcement yet.

NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, so it comes down to the inferiority complex.

To be honest, the Oilers make sense. Not because they're the Oilers or because it's Edmonton -- because it's been a brutally awful team that's been terribly mismanaged for years and was rewarded by the NHL with a lot of top draft picks. The Oilers are loaded with really young talent who have yet to make their impact yet, largely due to inept coaching.

There's a lot of potential there and he'd fit right in, growing up with a core group of players his age.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's about turning the corner and being a desirable team for players to sign with, yes.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Brodeur has resigned in NJ.

Most GMs seem to be waiting for Parise and Suter to sign to see what is available in trades with an eye on the diminishing pool of FAs.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Jiri Hudler signs with the Flames for 4 years.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Jagr is signed in Dallas for a year.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

The reactions from Flames and Canucks fans make it all the better.
              Hrm? As in, not caring at all?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Parise and Suter go to the Wild.

Uh oh.

Each got $98 MM over 13 years. Wow.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Wow...

Comment

I've read they turned down larger contracts elsewhere. Parise is from Minnesota. Suter is from nearby (Wisconsin).
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I guess the days of the Red Wings getting who they want are over.
                      I was sure they would get Suter and have a chance at Parise also.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        I've read they turned down larger contracts elsewhere. Parise is from Minnesota. Suter is from nearby (Wisconsin).
                        Once you have 98 million dollars, would an extra million or 10 million really change your life much at all? Both oif these contracts give 12 million in each of the first two years so its huge money from the outset.

I believe these two guys are the same age and have a longstanding friendship as well and apparently Suter's wife is from somewhere in Minnesota.

Sp with the money being ample everywhere, they could simply pick where they wished to live. Minny just became a presumptive playoff team next year
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

As for Schulz I agree with NYE's analysis. Schulz may be awesome, he may be a dud but the key for the OIl was that a highly sought after free agent chose them when the contracts everywhere were the same. It means that a free agent can look at their pool of talent and see reasons why its a good place to play

( I don't know about the desirability of living there. I haven't really enjoyed my short visits there but do personally know people that love it in the outskirts communities....)
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

AS for the Flames . .. .

I don't know if their signings will pan out as hoped but at least they are making an effort to inject some scoring. Theres a lot of questions going into the deason, largely at centre. IT seems they are hoping Backlund will emerge as top 6 playerer and Cervenka can step in Or maybe Hudler as they list him as a centre

LInes could look something like

Iggy- Cervenka -Tanguay

Cammalerie- Backlund- Hudler

JOnes-Comeau-Glencross
                            Stepniak-Stajan -Jackman

I like that there are guys that have scored at reasonable levels on every line but its still a lineup that lacks grit to me. A guy like Akim Alieu could be interesting. He sis a two game stint at the end of last season. Admittedly these were games when most of the vets had already mentally headed to the golf course but this guy didn't let that apathy infect him and he was a force out there. But he is probably a longshot ( he was a healthy scratch later in the AHL playoffs largely due to undiscuplined play and penalties)

A lack of grit and big hits may be a problem on D as well. When your big hitter is slow as cold molasses Sarich-- ouch -- They do have pretty good puck mobility in Wideman, Giordano and even Brodie. I half excpect Boumeester to get traded but he does have a lot of skill too-- I just wish I would see him throw a bodycheck instead on giving the opposition hugs.

If tey traded Bou for either a gritty NHL regular or some prospects and used the cap space to sign someone with some grit (a Jordan Tootoo type) I think I woulod like the composition of the team a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                              ... When your big hitter is slow as cold molasses ...
                              Even Sarich can skate circles around our big man - Douglas Murray. I love Murray, he hits like a tank, but god is he slow.
                              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                I wish I knew what Hawks offered to them. Was hoping they would get one of them. Oh well, hopefully they can get a defense man and center to help out this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X