NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re Thomas taking a year off

We may see what the real value of cap dollars is.

Thomas is an over-35 contract. He has a $5 MM cap hit. He is paid nothing if he does not play, but counts against the cap regardless. For a team on a budget that needs to make the cap floor (Phoenix) his contract is $5 MM in the bank for the owner.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

David Jones re-signs with Colorado - $16M for 4 years.

Last edited by Supr49er; June 7, 2012, 17:13. Reason: Added Link
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I don't blame Edmonton for taking Yakupov first overall, but I am reminded how I wasn't too excited when they "won" the lottery to move up from 2nd. I hope I am wrong, but I think if you ask me 5 years from now, I will be wishing they took a Defenseman in the first round, even if it meant trading down to do it. It's ironic that in a year with awesome defensive depth that a team badly in need of a top defenseman ended out picking first and takes the "automatic" first overall pick who is a forward.

Oh well, probably better to sign an NHL ready defenseman anyway....time to check who's coming available for Free Agency!

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Probably the smartest move for Edmonton anyway. They can always turn around and trade Yakupov, who seemed to be pretty much the consensus #1 pick, or another one of the young phenoms for a decent D-man. Better than taking a flyer on some kid who may not be ready for NHL-level work for a few years. But I think they'd better work their butts off to make a trade like that.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

So, how do you think your teams did in the draft?
            I give the Sharks a C+.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Ask me in five years.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree with Asher. Hawks draft looked good but so hard to tell this early.

Comment

The Oilers may have blown the 32nd pick. They took a player from the junior team that they own. There were more talented, higher rated players available. Either they know things that others do not, they have the opportunity to push the kid and tailor his junior experience to suit the goal of nurturing an NHL player, or they blew the best pick they had (other than the obvious one which is a no-brainer).

But, we won't know for several years.

The early 30s are essentially 1st round picks (you can often get players who were rated first round).
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Apparently Justin Schultz has agreed to terms with the Edmonton Oilers.

(\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Sweet!

He may very well be the next Fabiann Brunnstrum, Jonas Gustuvsonn, etc.

Apparently at a $3.775M cap hit too? Jesus Christ.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The reactions from Flames and Canucks fans make it all the better.

(\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Why?

Honestly, never heard of the guy before last week and was genuinely not interested at all in signing him given I heard so many teams are after him. From what I hear the Flames didn't offer very much and weren't even on the shortlist.

$3.7M cap hit before he plays his first game in the NHL. It's just stupid.

The Oilers will get burned, just like all of the other teams who competed for and overpaid some young rookie free-agent.

I would truly be upset if Feaster signed this kid for that much of a hit.

Comment

He's 6'2 and 185lbs?

I'd love to see the pairing of him vs Sarich...

Comment

Feeling the luv, Asher.

Ironic. Apparently, the Ducks picked Schultz with one of the picks they got from the Oilers in the Penner offersheet fracas.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

For you, Asher.
                                OILERSNATION is your home for Edmonton Oilers coverage, news, analysis, rumours and scores. We are a site by NHL fans, for NHL fans.

Let's keep in mind Schultz hasn't played a minute in the NHL and that he's not going to step in and provide all the answers to the questions about the Oilers defensive corps. In the fold or not, Tambellini still has plenty of work to do to bolster a blue line that isn’t good enough or deep enough. Still, getting his name on a contract, landing a highly prized free agent, would be a big box checked off on Tambellini's To-Do List.

That's pretty much my thinking as well.

The significant thing is that the player chose the Oilers when he had 20 or more other teams where he could have the same contract.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X