NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    Flames just signed one of the KHL's top players to a 1 year, $3.7M deal: Roman Cervenka.

Never heard of the dude before, but hey, it's something new.
    Good move

His contract is actually for 900K but he gets an extra 212 for any four of a list of six targets (they include scoring 20-- getting .73 PPG, playiong top 6 minutes over at least a 42 game stretch and a few more. Then the rest comes if he does something ridiculous like wins the Hart or Art Ross of makes the first or second allstar teams

Also its a 2 way contract so they can send him to the minors.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
      I assume this is a sign that Calgary is going to keep with their aging core for as long as they last.
      Not sure-- this dude is mid 20s so he could be part of a reload to be good for next year or a rebuild-- Feaster hasn't tipped his hand
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Because they can get 90 percent of the production for 30 percent of the cost? Iggy at 7 is a terrible deal.
        Depends on the team-- at the deadline with just a little of his contract left, the numbers don't matter as much.

Also you compare Burrows and Iggy as if they were in comparable roles and with comparable quality linemates, which is obviously not the case.

Iggy was the clear sniper for the Flames and as such attracted all the attention from the best shut down guys. A lack of scoring from the rest of the lineup hurt him here

Burrows gets good minutes with far better linemates but the docus of the shut down guys will usually be the Sedins.

IN Iggy you have a guy that has produced consistently -- With top linemates its arguable and forseeable that his production would be higher than as as the single gun the Flames have

Comment

Black Hawks got rid of the assistant coach in charge of power play yesterday. No real surprise there. Heard Quenville said, "I've been watching lots of playoff games and I still have a lot to learn." Good to know he is thinking that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
            Not sure-- this dude is mid 20s so he could be part of a reload to be good for next year or a rebuild-- Feaster hasn't tipped his hand

I think it is a sign that the Flames want to 'rebuild' on the Leafs model.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Iggy is by no means overpriced, Ben.
              You're paying a 25 goal scorer at 34, 7 million dollars a year on a perpetual non-playoff team. Why?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Iggy was the clear sniper for the Flames and as such attracted all the attention from the best shut down guys. A lack of scoring from the rest of the lineup hurt him here
                It's called lack of depth, and that's what happens when you overpay.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

For a team
                  1. looking to win right now and not wanting a long term obligation OR
                  2. where the actual dollars matter and the cap hit is less relevent
                  If this strategy were beneficial to 'winning now', why is it that the Flames remain mired out of the playoffs. This strategy worked 10 years ago with a young Iggy and young Kipper when they were cheap, and you could afford the pieces needed to build around them.

Now? Hanging onto both of them as they hit their decline phase will doom the Flames until their contracts come due and they need to rebuild. I said that last year was Iggy's last hurrah, and that his value would never be higher than it was then.

Comment

You're paying a 25 goal scorer at 34, 7 million dollars a year on a perpetual non-playoff team. Why?
                    Where the **** do you even get this ****?

How is Iggy a 25 goal scorer when WE JUST HAVE ESTABLISHED he has scored 30+ goals for 11 (nearly 13) consecutive seasons?

You're such an idiot.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If this strategy were beneficial to 'winning now', why is it that the Flames remain mired out of the playoffs. This strategy worked 10 years ago with a young Iggy and young Kipper when they were cheap, and you could afford the pieces needed to build around them.

Now? Hanging onto both of them as they hit their decline phase will doom the Flames until their contracts come due and they need to rebuild. I said that last year was Iggy's last hurrah, and that his value would never be higher than it was then.
                      There are no further words to describe your ignorance of all things in this world, including hockey.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

There are no further words to describe your ignorance of all things in this world, including hockey.
                        So the fact that I correctly predicted Iggy's temporary blip last year was just that makes me ignorant?

Comment

What the **** kind of idiot calls 11 seasons of 30+ goals a temporary blip?

Further, I don't recall you predicting anything of the sort. Link it.

Comment

Bet the Kings are happy they didn't trade Brown.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Brown is okay, but he's certainly no Kesler. Amiright??

Comment

Apparently, Washington just traded the rights to Vokoun to Pittsburgh and he signed a 2 year deal. Pretty good backup.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X