X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Seau dead

Reports: Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau dead
    Print Posted by Staff May 2, 2012 02:15 PM

Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau is reportedly dead after committing suicide, according to multiple reports. (Matthew J. Lee / Globe file photo)

By Zuri Berry, Boston.com Staff

Former football player Junior Seau was found dead in his home, according to a report from TMZ.
    Police are investigating a shooting at the former New England Patriot and San Diego Charger's home in Oceanside, Calif., according to multiple reports.

Seau, whose full name is Tiaina Baul Seau Jr., last played for the Patriots in 2009.

According to multiple reports, Seau committed suicide, found by a housekeeper at his beachfront home with a gunshot chest

The Charges released a statement saying they had not been informed of his death and that "we pray he's OK."

Seau's All-Pro NFL career spanned 19 seasons. He was drafted No. 5 overall in the 1990 draft out of the University of Southern California, and played 12 stellar seasons for the San Diego Chargers. He was named an all-pro 10 times and to the Pro Bowl all 12 years he was with the Chargers. In 1994, he was named the AFC Player of the Year.

In October 2010, problems in Seau's personal life surfaced when he drove his SUV off an embankment in Carlsbad, Calif., and was hospitalized with minor injuries.

Seau told police he fell asleep hours after he was arrested on a felony domestic violence allegation and released.

In 2003, Seau was traded to the Miami Dolphins, but was released in March 2006. He was limited in his time with the Dolphins because of torn pectoral muscle.

Seau announced his retirement from football in 2006, but then days later was picked up by the Patriots. He went on to start 10 of 11 games played in the 2006 season before breaking his arm. He announced his intention to retire again in 2010.

In his career, he tallied 1,849 tackles and 56.5 sacks.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

I posted this in the NFL thread and the dead pool thread over an hour ago.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
        Congratulations.
        I know. I posted about it before any media outlets.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

His burger place sucked and was over priced. Still, as a former sports star he didn't have to actually run anything and instead they just paid him money to allow them to use his name.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            I know. I posted about it before any media outlets.
            I wouldn't have pegged you as a fan of TMZ.

Comment

Not everything is about your eating preferences, Oerdin.
              Nor is everything destined solely to an existing thread, Al.
              This is where I first got the news and I appreciate it. Things don't have tone in an ambiguously titled. Thread like your birthday thread from. Ben. Grow up wlile you grow old.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, to be fair, he was trying to expand it beyond sports, considering there is a forum for sports stuff.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm wondering how many non-Americans even know who this guy is? I don't think I've heard the name before today.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, never heard of the dude.

We should've had a thread on the world champion 26 year old swimmer who died of a heart attack jerking off in the shower. Much more newsworthy.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

We should have started a thread when Wheel's death was announced.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Something tells me this place won't be long for the world now though you never know.

The one thing I'll give them is they did have a ****ing GIANT projection screen to watch the game on.

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        I'm wondering how many non-Americans even know who this guy is? I don't think I've heard the name before today.
                        If you weren't a patriots or chargers fan (or just a die hard football fan in general) then you likely never heard of him.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          If you weren't a patriots or chargers fan (or just a die hard football fan in general) then you likely never heard of him.
                          No. Junior Seau was one of the greatest linebackers of all time, a definite Hall of Famer, who was one of those players that all football fans just liked, no matter your favorite team. He was also one of the first Polynesian NFL stars.

You don't have to be a die hard fan to know about Junior Seau; just a fan in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Something tells me this place won't be long for the world now though you never know.

The one thing I'll give them is they did have a ****ing GIANT projection screen to watch the game on.

He only played for 20 years. Even the most casual fan probably is familiar with the name.
                            As far as non-Americans, so what? Canada probably has a lot more knowledge of moose crap, but I don't.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm in the amateur business of knowing who "celebrities" are and I contend this guy just didn't try hard enough. He had to off himself to get noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X