Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my Army ROTC/National Guard information packet today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Army ROTC/National Guard information packet today...

...and I'm kind of giggling at the massive Lee Greenwood*-esque over the top patriotic imagery and slogans, e.g. "NATIONAL GUARD: BE A MODERN DAY MINUTEMAN!" followed by pictures of men in army uniforms helping small children.

Also, the folder it came in has a picture of an attractive female 2nd Lieutenant on the front. I don't know if they're trying to subliminally tell me that I will meet hot chicks in the National Guard, but if they are then I am highly skeptical (though a man can hope).

By the way, does this make me more successful at joining the military than Alby?

*fun fact: Lee Greenwood has never served in the military and has had two divorces. He doesn't practice what he preaches nearly as much as, say, Snoop Dogg.

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    By the way, does this make me more successful at joining the military than Alby?
    No. You got an information packet. I contracted and swore in twice.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      No. You got an information packet. I contracted and swore in twice.
      Which makes you twice as successful as those that have only contracted and sworn in once, right?
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I got an information packet AND submitted my stuff to participate next quarter.

Those free boots they give you with the combat uniform look really kickass, I can't wait. Apparently they're super comfy.

Comment

I mean, if all I have to do is show up to the leadership labs once a week, work out three days a week, and get a liberal arts credit where I get to shoot rifles, in order to get a free pair of boots, count me in!

Comment

The military is just like the mob; they'll never ask for anything in return.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I have two years to decide whether to actually contract. And when I do, if I do, I'm selecting the "weekend warrior" option.

Comment

I got an information packet AND submitted my stuff to participate next quarter.

Those free boots they give you with the combat uniform look really kickass, I can't wait. Apparently they're super comfy.
                The boots are great. I guess back in the day, they sucked but they're so comfortable and light now. Some like the Bates Lite are basically high-top running shoes.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I have two years to decide whether to actually contract. And when I do, if I do, I'm selecting the "weekend warrior" option.
                  Don't fall for the recruitment hype. This will be a serious commitment. People thought the entirety of their obligation would be one weekend a month, two weeks a year until they got activated.

Comment

Yes, a serious commitment in two years. If I contract I have to spend 8 years drilling, during which I would likely be activated once or twice unless the DoD is full of **** and I get activated four times because we decide to invade yet another country. I wouldn't be doing this if I had to contract now.

I think it's clear at this point that the national guard is getting activated way too often and they'll mostly stick to the 9 months once in six years rule. Again, the final decision for me is two years from now.

Comment

...and I'm kind of giggling at the massive Lee Greenwood*-esque over the top patriotic imagery and slogans, e.g. "NATIONAL GUARD: BE A MODERN DAY MINUTEMAN!" followed by pictures of men in army uniforms helping small children.

Also, the folder it came in has a picture of an attractive female 2nd Lieutenant on the front. I don't know if they're trying to subliminally tell me that I will meet hot chicks in the National Guard, but if they are then I am highly skeptical (though a man can hope).

*fun fact: Lee Greenwood has never served in the military and has had two divorces. He doesn't practice what he preaches nearly as much as, say, Snoop Dogg.
                      You're just as successful as he is, but less of a failure.

Comment

Best advice: Skip the national guard or reserves and do ROTC if that's what you're in to.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Free boots, you say...
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Best advice: Skip the national guard or reserves and do ROTC if that's what you're in to.
                            The idea is to do ROTC and commission into the Guard.

Comment

Good people of Poly, I have an important question for you all:

Would you hit it?

(The woman, not the folder obviously)

Comment

Working...
                              X