Austrian Economist testifies before the NY Fed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    And, in a hypothetical absence of government (a state that has never truly existed for any appreciable length of time AFAIK), banks, armorers, insurance companies or any other powerful entity could crush you, an isolated individual, with impunity.
    They're crushing us as we speak, are they not? They're simply doing it indirectly and incrementally with the iron boot of government coercion as their primary tool. And with an army of crooked politicians and bureaucrats running cover them, telling us that the sky will fall if we don't pay their bailouts, buy their healthcare, and bomb oil-rich countries halfway around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus View Post
      This is a Republic founded in liberty.

The bank can't make me bail it out.
      The defense contractor can't make me buy bombs.
      The insurance company can't make me buy medicine, or pay its other customers' bills.

Only the government can do those things. Therefore the real force, and the real problem, is government.
      The fact is that the majority of people agree with all of those things, and this is a democratic country. Granted that they agree with those things because corporations have influenced them in their favor, but you are really missing the mark by claiming that government is the real problem. Government, in fact, protects us from corporations. We just need to use our brains, and understand how the system works.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

They're crushing us as we speak, are they not? They're simply doing it indirectly and incrementally with the iron boot of government coercion as their primary tool. And with an army of crooked politicians and bureaucrats running cover them, telling us that the sky will fall if we don't pay their bailouts, buy their healthcare, and bomb oil-rich countries halfway around the world.
        No, they're not. They're engaging in petty corruption and influence-peddling. If our present government were not there, any sufficiently powerful entity or entities would become the de facto government, with almost totally unchecked power. You and your entire family could be made to disappear for criticizing them, for example, and nobody would even notice.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

if Half Lotus disappeared and was replaced by a robot I wouldn't have any idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            The fact is that the majority of people agree with all of those things
            The majority of Americans opposed the bailouts, oppose the wars, and oppose Obamacare. And the government did it anyway.

Democratic my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              No, they're not. They're engaging in petty corruption and influence-peddling. If our present government were not there, any sufficiently powerful entity or entities would become the de facto government, with almost totally unchecked power. You and your entire family could be made to disappear for criticizing them, for example, and nobody would even notice.
              Ah yes, The World of Elok. Where tens of trillions in bailouts, secret bank loans, and no-bid military contracts amounts to "petty corruption". Not to mention the Fed's free money policy for their friends in the banking cartel. Nice.

Comment

Btw I haven't suggested that we have no government, so you can stop arguing against that idea for no reason.

What I'm suggesting is a limited, constitutional government which protects individual LIBERTY. This would of course protect against corporations "making me disappear" (which, btw, the Fed's can legally do now) or any other corporate nightmare lefties enjoy dreaming up.

Comment

I don't know about all your various conspiracy theories, and I'm not going to try to get to the bottom of them. But most of the corruption in our government is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty piddly-ass. You want to see real corruption, look at China.

Anyway, feel free to describe (preferably in specifics) how the government could be improved. All you said was "the government is the problem." From that I assumed, not unreasonably I think, that you wanted no government. Y'know, kind of like if I only say "the cat is the problem," you might reasonably assume I want to get rid of the cat.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

What conspiracy theories? Taxpayer exposure for the bailout programs is in the many trillions (20? 30?). Bernie Sanders also uncovered ~$16 trillion in secret loans to European central banks during that period. The wars are in the many trillions in cost. Theses are all documented and in the open, no conspiracy needed.

Comment

Loans exceeding the GDP of the United States? Unbelievable!

Comment

The majority of Americans opposed the bailouts, oppose the wars, and oppose Obamacare. And the government did it anyway.

Democratic my ass.
                        I'm not familiar with he exact poll numbers, but this IS a democratic system. If the people were really opposed to any of those things the government wouldn't do them. I undestand that the government can do things without a majority vote from the people, becuase we don't have a direct democracy.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

What conspiracy theories? Taxpayer exposure for the bailout programs is in the many trillions (20? 30?). Bernie Sanders also uncovered ~$16 trillion in secret loans to European central banks during that period. The wars are in the many trillions in cost. Theses are all documented and in the open, no conspiracy needed.
                          9/11 truthers, "chem trails", fluoride in the water... Take your pick because you've backed them all. Heck, I think you even had a faked moon landing and Kennedy assassination conspiracy thread some where.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            If the people were really opposed to any of those things the government wouldn't do them.
                            Earlier you said corporations drive policy, now you're saying public opinion does. Which is it?

Comment

The people are too apathetic to exercise their power. Maybe voting should be made compulsory.

Comment

People voted Obama in, and he promptly broke campaign promise after campaign promise. Seems like voters need to wise up and voting in establishment puppets.

Comment

Working...
                                X