Canada-Europe free trade agreement could be final in 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada-Europe free trade agreement could be final in 6 months

That's a major one. I never heard before now that it could be ready so fast.

All the latest stock market and economic news. Follow live the latest news from listed companies, the latest analysts' recommendations and our analysis. All the news is on MarketScreener

Canada-EU Free Trade Seen Finalized Within 6 Months - Trade Mins
    04/23/2012 | 12:16pm
    (Recasts lead, updates throughout with quotes.)

--75% of neogiations concluded

--Officials still discussing supply management, rules of origin issues

--Fuel quality directive being discussed on a separate track

By Nirmala Menon
    Of Dow Jones Newswires

Free trade negotiations between Canada and the European Union are expected to be finalized within six months, the Canadian and Danish trade ministers said Monday.

Pia Olsen Dyhr, Denmark's trade and investment minister, said 75% of negotiations have been completed and the balance is "coming very soon."

"We are actually at the end game," Olsen Dyhr said at a joint news conference with Canadian trade minister Ed Fast after a meeting in Ottawa. "My perspective would be that within half a year we (would) have finalized this agreement."

"That's our hope," added Fast, who said Canada is hoping for "the most comprehensive and ambitious" trade agreement it's every signed.

The EU is negotiating several trade agreements around the world and "I see this as actually the one moving forward and being in a very positive stream," Olsen Dyhr said.

She said discussions about rules of origin which identify the origin of a product are ongoing. These rules are stricter in Europe than in Canada. Officials are also discussing Canada's supply management system, which protects poultry and dairy farmers, she said.

Fast said Canada won't sign an agreement "unless it's in the best interest of Canadians."

Olsen Dyhr said the EU's proposed fuel quality directive is being discussed on a separate track and has "nothing to do" with negotiations for the trade pact.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree with the idea, but imagine the mess with current NAFTA partners...

Comment

Not to mention you better find a way to keep the sneaky Euros from trying to back door protectionism. Things like how, back in the 90's, the French charged taxes all small car engines except the one specific displacement which both French automakers but no one else made.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We're already used to you doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Not to mention you better find a way to keep the sneaky Euros from trying to back door protectionism. Things like how, back in the 90's, the French charged taxes all small car engines except the one specific displacement which both French automakers but no one else made.
            This...coming from an American. A bit rich don't you think?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
              This...coming from an American. A bit rich don't you think?
              Not as rich as this coming form a Brit.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                Not as rich as this coming form a Brit.
                Don't think so.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You had laws forbidding us having domestic industry!

Comment

yay, tax-free baby seal furs

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      You had laws forbidding us having domestic industry!
                      Riiiiight, keeping it current I see...
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Comment

Hey, who threw all of our tea in the dock? Yeah! You could've at least heated the harbour up first so you got a nice cup of tea!
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It was sun tea, you snobs!

Comment

**** tea it's disgusting.

More free trade

Comment

Working...
                              X