Exciting Things in Germany!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in Europe kids start drinking at 12...

first learn to drink, then drive. much safer.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
      Go to Stuttgart, it's twinned with Cardiff.
      I work in a town that is twinned with Stevenage. Have they ever met their ugly twin? Although I can imagine even Stevenage seems hip and exciting compared to said German town.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In fact it is so boring it doesn't have a Wikipedia entry - in case it bores the internet so much it breaks it.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Berlin is full of interesting stuff to see. Munich has intersting stuff too, though not as much as Berlin in my opinion. In general, I thought Frankfurt was dreary. Most of the industrial parts of Germany were almost totally destroyed in WWII and rebuilt in the late 50s/early 60s. As a result, the architecture in those towns is really ugly.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Stuttgart has a funky modern art gallery. Ulm has a delightful cathedral, one of the gems of the Middle Ages in Europe.

Here's the Unesco website for Germany's world heritage sites:

Ulm: http://www.letsgo-europe.com/Germany/Ulm/

The Ethnological Museum in Berlin has stunning examples of African art, especially from Nigeria- and don't forget the great club scene there too.

I wish you a very happy holiday.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by b etor View Post
              My brother is 16, but has no interest in alcohol (as it should be at his age)
              Please don't enforce your twisted Morals on others , when I was 16 I already had my First 'Stammkneipe'.
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Cathedrals and churches?

Go to Münster ...
                it has a cathedral and also the cages of the anabaptist leaders, which are still hanging at the outside of the tower of the Lamberti church.

If you want to see some medieval-like town, you should also try Rothenburg ob der Tauber,
                whose historical city is still enclosed in city walls (although AFAIK most of it is reconstructed, as Rothenburg was target of extensive allied carpet bombing during WW2). It also has the main store of "Käthe Wohlfahrt", which is a well known seller of Christmas Kitsch (and usually present on all german christmas markets)
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Thank you all for your awesome suggestions!

Comment

I lived in Stuttgart about 50 years ago, and visited it a couple of times about 35 years ago, but have not been back since, fraid i don't remember much.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        The 'Golden Legend' Room!
                        Silly, complicated Christian legend involving the nasty slaughter of 11,000 virgins under the care of St. Ursula, who is the patron saint of Catholic schoolgirls. Their bones decorate the room. Oh, those Catholics.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

And if you are in Berlin and want to taste something hot...
                          if you (or your dad) are courageous you order the sausage together with "The Source"

(here btw. a nice vid about the results, if you aren´t used to >10^6 Scoville
                          Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

)
                          Last edited by Proteus_MST; April 25, 2012, 15:03.
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

eek. I don't like hot/spicy things, but I'm sure my dad would like it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X