• Should we bomb Syria?

Yes
    12.50%
    No
    75.00%
    Only on Wednesdays.
    12.50%

What could go wrong?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

People could die. The US could further reinforce its reputation as an aggressive warmonger. Iran might freak out and do something drastic. The dictator could somehow survive and become a more ardent supporter of the US's enemies.

Comment

What could go right?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Why do you always try to bomb the country first? Why not airdrop a team of SEALs into Asad's palace and avoid collateral damage?
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            People could die. The US could further reinforce its reputation as an aggressive warmonger. Iran might freak out and do something drastic. The dictator could somehow survive and become a more ardent supporter of the US's enemies.
            I was being sarcastic...

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              Why do you always try to bomb the country first? Why not airdrop a team of SEALs into Asad's palace and avoid collateral damage?
              There's a stupid law that says it's illegal for the US to assassinate foreign leaders. That was passed after all the Castro ****-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                There's a stupid law that says it's illegal for the US to assassinate foreign leaders. That was passed after all the Castro ****-ups.
                Didn't you try and bomb both Saddam and Ghaddafi recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Just outsource it to another country - just like when US needs someone tortured.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    We didn't assassinate Saddam, we put him on show trial, and we explicitly "were not trying to assassinate Ghaddafi" (although I suspect if we had "accidentally" hit him as collateral, champagne would have been uncorked inside the White House situation room).

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    Just outsource it to another country - just like when US needs someone tortured.
                    Israel

As an aside, I think this is a pretty stupid policy. As I understand, it stems mainly from the fact that we've historically been ****ing terrible at assassination missions and the CIA had a whole string of massive screwups during the Cold War and Congress was fed up with the scandals.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      If you bomb the person standing next to them, then it's collateral damage and not assassination.

Comment

If we send in a team it is possible that a couple of Americans could be killed. Much better to hang back and bomb folks from far away where there are zero American casualties. And if it results in 10-50 times more dead brown people... who cares?
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We need our cheap new first-strike F35s first. Then we will attack everyone!
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                              If we send in a team it is possible that a couple of Americans could be killed. Much better to hang back and bomb folks from far away where there are zero American casualties. And if it results in 10-50 times more dead brown people... who cares?
                              I thought Al already established very insistently to us that Syrians are not brown.

Comment

Working...
                              X