Questions about the USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the USA.

1. Do you really put liquid detergent into your washing machines instead of laundry powder?
    2. Why do laundromats exist if they provide no additional service? Why don't people just put a washing machine in their bathroom or kitchen?
    More to come.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

2. People don't always have the money. I know I wanted a washing machine if I could have one. I didn't have one in two of the places I rented in the US?

1. In Sweden I used powder, in Brussels I use liquid. In Sweden my complex had a laundry area (common in the US too), in Brussels I use a laundromat (they are everywhere). There are definitely more laundromats in Brussels than in most places in the US.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

1, Yes

2. Laundromats Have large washers good for washing bedding.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I tend to use liquid as it leaves less bits on my clothes, and we have laundromats (laundrettes) over here too.What happens in Russia...do you still beat your clothes against rocks in the freezing river?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
          1. Do you really put liquid detergent into your washing machines instead of laundry powder?
          2. Why do laundromats exist if they provide no additional service? Why don't people just put a washing machine in their bathroom or kitchen?
          More to come.
          You'll get similar answers but here's some Canadian data for you.

1) Yes some do, but I use powder.
          2) Smaller apartments don't always have room for washer/dryer. If they do have room they still need a convenient water hookup which isn't always where you have the room for the appliance... My building has a laundry room in the basement.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I must say though US, your coffee is really sh*t
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

says the Englishman. ha!

Comment

my first cup of coffee in England:

1) order coffee
                2) bloke goes to fancy Italian machine, throws in fresh beans
                3) bloke pushes buttons, picks up cup, places cup, majestic coffee comes rolling out
                4) bloke picks up cup with black gold and walks to water faucet, 3/4 water into cup
                5) customer weeping and shocked
                6) "oy mate, what, ye wanted milk with it 'nstead?"

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  I tend to use liquid as it leaves less bits on my clothes, and we have laundromats (laundrettes) over here too.What happens in Russia...do you still beat your clothes against rocks in the freezing river?
                  Har har.

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  2) Smaller apartments don't always have room for washer/dryer. If they do have room they still need a convenient water hookup which isn't always where you have the room for the appliance... My building has a laundry room in the basement.
                  And I've thought Russian apartments are small. The bathroom in my old place was 1.7m by 1.7m, and that was enough place for a bathtub, a sink and a washing machine. Just how small are we speaking?
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

My bathroom is the smallest room (predictably) and has a sink, toilet, tub/shower and a cat litter box. No room for appliances.

That's why we have a laundry room.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The bathroom in my old place was 1.7m by 1.7m, and that was enough place for a bathtub, a sink and a washing machine. Just how small are we speaking?
                      2.2m X 1.6 (including tub).

My other rooms are large(r) but who wants a washing machine in the kitchen?

Comment

Har har.

And I've thought Russian apartments are small. The bathroom in my old place was 1.7m by 1.7m, and that was enough place for a bathtub, a sink and a washing machine. Just how small are we speaking?
                        When I was in Hungary I think my cousins all had washing machines in their bathrooms. Is that a common place to put them in Europe? I don't think I've ever seen a washing machine in a bathroom in the US.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I saw one when I was house shopping, and I thought it was weird.

1. I prefer liquid because I don't like thinking about what concentrated detergent powder might be doing to my sinuses / lungs.

2. Some laundromats offer drop off cleaning for an extra fee.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

if that's where your water hookup point is...

Comment

But no dryer. And if it's the kind of washing machine I think it is, it wouldn't cut it in America.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X