No announcement yet.

Questions about the USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, I thought you were Canadian...you know, based on your sig?

Comment

WTF?! Why are you all answering onodera's questions? Don't you know he's KGB?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Unbelievably trivial thread. Well done, lads!
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          They vote with the location of their permanent duty station/where their unit is headquartered. An army man might be able to answer this better than me, but I think if your unit is headquartered in, say, Vicenza or something you can't vote.
          They could also vote in the state where they lived before joining the military.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            If you don't have your birth certificate, it is hard.

If you don't have a license, it is hard.

If you live abroad, it is hard.

If you don't have bills, it is hard.

JM
            If you don't have a birth certificate or other identification, and if you live abroad, and if you don't pay bills, then you might be a Somali pirate.

What are you doing going abroad without a passport?

Originally posted by onodera View Post
            Isn't there a business or even a state service where I can go, give two addresses and a small fee, and they reregister everything to my new address?
            Not that I know of. It's really not that big of a deal for most people, and those people who do have trouble would probably find an attorney to help handle it. Lawyers don't ever put the word small before the word fee.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I wasn't implying that someone would fulfill all aspects.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

5. How often do children have PT in middle and high school? I used to have two PT classes per week, or rather 1 double-length class lasting 90 minutes plus break.
                6. What is recess in a school context?
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Is PT gym class? That depends 100% on your school district's policy. I had gym every other day in elementary school, and every day in middle school, and then every other day again in high school for the first two years. Juniors and Seniors didn't have to take gym, so I stopped.

Recess is something most kids get in elementary school. It's a short break, usually after lunch, where they let you play outside (or inside if the weather is bad). Most elementary schools have a jungle gym and swingsets and a playground.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

We had recess in middle school too, i use to sit on the ground and read.

Or just go to the library for the day.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      No, you don't.

Puerto Rican's can't vote. Expats can't vote either. Being a US citizen doesn't entitle you to vote. Being a resident of one of the 50 states (or DC following an amendment, can't remember which, 23rd?) does.
                      That post is dumb. Puerto Ricans do vote though they don't have a voting rep in Congress. Also expats also are allowed to vote with polling stations set up in over seas locations with large expat communities. In 2008 they had polling stations in London and, of course, there are always absentee ballots.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                        5. How often do children have PT in middle and high school? I used to have two PT classes per week, or rather 1 double-length class lasting 90 minutes plus break.
                        6. What is recess in a school context?
                        We had it five days a week for one hour per day. In 11th and 12th grade it became an elective but it was mandatory from 7th to 10th grade. Recess was mostly a 1st-6th grade thing for younger students and you'd get one 20 minute break ~10am and then a 40 minute break at noon. The idea was the little kids have lots of energy so letting them run around and play for a few minutes helped them concentrate better in class while the other break was for lunch but if you hurried you could also play some games with other students.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          That post is dumb. Puerto Ricans do vote though they don't have a voting rep in Congress. Also expats also are allowed to vote with polling stations set up in over seas locations with large expat communities. In 2008 they had polling stations in London and, of course, there are always absentee ballots.
                          Puerto Ricans do not vote for president. They can vote for offices in Puerto Rico.

Comment

• Last I heard they do vote but don't get any electoral votes so it doesn't really matter though they're votes are added to the official vote totals. As we all remember in 2000 though a candidate can win the popular vote yet lose the electoral vote so the popular vote is just a dog and pony show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              OERDIN does it yet again:

Q: Why does Puerto Rico participate in the presidential primary and not the general election? A: The United States Constitution grants voting privileges in the general election to the states and the District of Columbia only, not to U.S. territories. FULL ANSWER With 55 pledged delegates at stake, residents of Puerto Rico will head to their local election polls June 1 and cast ballots in the Democratic presidential primary.

With 55 pledged delegates at stake, residents of Puerto Rico will head to their local election polls June 1 and cast ballots in the Democratic presidential primary. But for most of Puerto Rico's estimated 3.9 million residents, that’s where their presidential voting activity will end.

Unless they have official residency in a U.S. state or the District of Columbia, people living in Puerto Rico, and all other U.S. territories, are not permitted to vote in the general election in November.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Even residents of DC couldn't vote until they added an amendment. Congress is actually fully within its rights to totally disenfranchise Puerto Rico and DC (except for DC's presidential vote), eliminate their democratically-elected government and have them be run by unelected bureaucrats. Obviously we'd never do that, but it is possible under the constitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X