X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domination of Barbarians [Diplo Game] [Story Thread 1 - April 2012]

Domination of Barbarians [Diplo Game] [Story Thread 1 - April 2012]

This is the Story and Diplomacy Thread for the Diplo Game "Domination of Barbarians" (DoB)

The purpose of this thread is to post in-character story posts and diplomacy for this game. Please discuss all organizational aspects of this game the Organization Thread.
    Use your Anonymous Apolyton Game Account to put posts in this thread.

Domination of Barbarians is a diplomacy game.
    The players try to rule their empires like they are real. Role playing and story telling is an important way to achieve this.
    Last edited by Sommerswerd; November 29, 2012, 16:27.

The Story Begins...

In long ago days of yesteryear, ages and ages ago, there were no tribes. There were no different tongues, or customs. All men lived together in the Great Valley between the two Great Rivers, called Tigris and Euphrates. In the distance there was a barely visible Mountain range called Ararat, and to the East, the rivers joined at the sea. There were rumors of what was beyond the known lands, but no one seemed to know the truth.

On either side of the Valley was vast endless desert as far as the eye could see. So no one ever left the Valley. There was no reason to leave. There was plenty to eat as banks of the river were always plentiful with edible mosses and flowers full of nectar. There was plenty of water, and the sun shone every day.

The days were so warm and the nights so mild, that every man slept out under the stars. No one wanted for anything.

But then something changed…

Some of the men began to complain that the Valley was too crowded, that some should leave, go out into the desert and try to find a new Valley to call home. Of course no one wanted to leave, so the strongest plotted to force out the weak ones, and tried to expell them from the Valley.

The “Expelled” as they were called were bitter, so bitter, and for months they refused to leave. They swore revenge and promised all manner of unholy curses upon the other Valleyfolk, called the “Privileged”. Soon the Privileged began making things bad for the Expelled, and the Expelled began to revolt against the Privileged. The first ever acts of violence were happening in the Valley.

This became too much, and finally the leaders of the Privileged met with the leader of the Expelled, Barbarous. The Expelled accepted their fate and started leaving the Valley, many crying and wailing bitterly. Then Barbarous, in a final act of defiance, screamed out from the desert as he left the Valley…

“We, the Expelled shall leave this Valley, and we shall travel to the four corners of this world! We will fill the land outside the Valley and subdue it, until you are the ones who are imprisoned, and exiled to your Valley. For we will fill the world and we shall never allow your people to live outside this Valley. All the World shall be your enemies. You shall have a thousand enemies. And whenever we catch you, we will kill you. See to it that that we never catch you!”

With that, Barbarous and his followers, the “Barbarians” as they were called, left the Valley, never to be seen or heard from again… It was rumored that his party of Expelled went their separate ways shortly after leaving. Some say they perished in the endless desert, but no one really knows…

Meanwhile, things were still not good in the Valley. Now that the Expelled had been forced out, different members of the Privileged began wanting to force out others. Things became worse and worse over the years until finally the leaders agreed that something had to be done, to avoid violence.

It was agreed that no one would be allowed to remain in the Valley as this would be unfair. Instead, everyone was to leave the Valley and find a new place to live. In 10 Generations, they could return to the Valley if they wished.

So the Valleyfolk formed small bands of friends and families and headed out to find a new home. Some settled down in the deserts outside of the Valley, others found new Rivers to call home, and others kept roaming until they reached the Sea. As they traveled further and further, they found new foods, tasty animals and new materials to build shelters for themselves. Outside the Valley, they could not always sleep under the stars. Sometimes they need simple shelter from the weather. Some groups reached the sea, and then dove into it and swam for distant shores, or crafted simple watercraft to carry them away on the waves.

All in all, eighteen different groups of travelers emerged, as one group would become divided about which direction to go, and split up from the others. As the groups divided, they soon lost contact with each other, and they began to develop unique languages and methods of communicating. Eventually, they all found new homelands, but then the complaints and rumors began circulating…

“Let us go back to the Valley! It is far too cold here!, some complained…

“There isn’t enough to eat!” others moaned…

“Some of the groups settled down close to the Valley. Surely by now they have betrayed the pact and moved back into the Valley?” the suspicious ones said…

“I heard that some of the groups followed us here, and are lying in wait in the nearby woods to kill us and take our new lands!”

“The weather here is harsh! We must prepare strong shelters to protect us!”

And the most frightening rumor of all…

“I swear I saw some of the Expelled watching us from a hilltop… Then they disappeared!”

The leaders of the groups decided that they needed to form a more secure, more permanent settlement in order to put the concerns of their people to rest. So one by one, the groups began forming into small villages… Tiny campfires began springing up all over the countryside, and some of the groups soon discovered that they were not as far away from the other groups as they thought…
    Last edited by Sommerswerd; March 29, 2012, 15:08.

Comment

Chief Ragnar finally awoke from his slumber. He slowly opened his eyes. Through wads of smoke from the fireplace he vaguely saw the ceiling of his cave. His ancestors left paintings there. Men with clubs and javelins. Harts and reindeer. Fish nets full with herring. Whales. Slain foes. Still visible, but now covered with a layer of smut. His head hurt awfully. The amount of ale and mead, consumed yesterday together with his men, clearly was too much, even for the strongest Norseman.

He fully opened his eyes, even though the light from the fire hurt him. And as he unsuccessful tried to get on his feet, he suddenly noticed, that he is not alone. Next to the bear skin, that served him as bed place, stood an old man with a long grey beard. He was dressed in a dark blue cloak and a soft, black hat. He was one-eyed, and looked down to him contemptuously. His right hand rested on a long staff.

"Guards", Ragnar yelled. "To me at once!"

Nothing happened. Outside the cave he heard the howling of wolves and rasping calls of ravens.

"Guards", he shouted again, but nobody came.

"They are asleep", the old man finally said. "Hopelessly drunk, just like their master. A single man could have slain your whole tribe. Even an old man like me. And looking at you, I'm beginning to think, that this would be a good thing, because you and your tribe are a worthless bunch of drunkards, not worth to call themselves Norsemen. I should begin with their chieftain, who seems to lack any ability to lead his men."

With these words he suddenly raised his staff, and Ragnar saw, that it has a sharp end. The old man was pointing a spear at him, and the way he helt this heavy weapon steadily directed at his heart proved, that he must be a formidable warrior.

"You'd better believe it!", the old man answered his unspoken thoughts. "You would be dead not even noticing it."

"You win", Ragnar resigned. "Who are you, and what do you want?"

"Together with my brothers I slew the primal giant Ymir. From his body we made land and sea, mountains, trees, clouds and the sky. Of fiery matter we made the stars, the sun and the moon. And out of two lifeless logs of wood we made your kind. Brave, strong men and women, able to take care of themselves." He pointed at the ancient cave paintings. "But looking at their offspring, I'm beginning to doubt, that it was worth the effort."

"Hold on, so you are... You really are..."

Ragnar desperately tried to remember the name his father had taught him, but his aching head was empty.

"Yes, I am Odin, the highest of your gods, and you better remember this moment for the rest of your worthless life, for it is me who decides, how long it lasts!"

Ragnar looked down, full of shame, covering his face with his palms. He said nothing, because without doubt, the old man was right. His ancestors hunted, fished and fought with pride. It was them who once had made his people great. But under his rule so far, they did only what their belly and lust demands. No raids along the coast. No researching of new things and techniques. No buildings able to make men proud. All outposts lost to roaming beasts, bandits and giants. Not even fishing and whaling anymore. Just sitting in this damned cave, their only real estate left. His men were hunting at day in the surroundings, while the women grew crop for the ale and collected honey for the mead. And then drinking, wolfing meat, and whoring all night long. That's what his people had come to, and it was his fault.

"So you're beginning to see what's wrong with you and your people?" Ragnar nodded sad. "About time you do", the god continued. "And now that you know it, what are you going to do?"

The chief was quiet for a while. The old man lowered his spear and let him think. Then Ragnar stood up.

"We need to get out of this cave. We need to send out our scouts and warriors, and retake all our belongings, that beasts and giants have taken. We need to settle down, and instead of caves, we will live in longhouses. We will train priests, shamans and great thinkers, that enlighten us and teach us new things. We will build longboats, and trade with our neighbors. And we will train smithes to invent new weapons to protect ourselves, and punish those who grudge us our success."

"Well said. I am willing to grant you some time. You will found a settlement right in this place. Make it your base to retake the northern lands. You will work, you will sweat and you will bleed. And while you are at it, to remind you and your men of your duty, I will make all your ale sour and your mead bitter as gall. But when you succeed, I will lift that curse, and we all, gods and Norsemen, will have a great feast."

The god rammed his spear on the floor, that the hall trembled. Then he disappeared. The last thing Ragnar saw was a gigantic eagle flying out of the cave.

"Bleeeaaach!", somebody cried from the neighboring hall, followed by loud curses. Ragnar got on his feet and headed over there. It was his trusted friend Ulfr. He had a drinking horn in his hand and outrage and disgust in his face. "Some swine pissed in the ale tun", he complained loudly.

"Yes, that was me", said Ragnar. "And before you try it, I shat in the mead barrel too."

"Have you lost your mind?", Ulfr furiously replied. "Or are you still drunk?"

"At the countrary", said Ragnar. "I'm as sober as I haven't been in a year or more."

"But why?", his friend asked.

"Let's say it this way, Ulfr, someone or something made me consider the situation and future of our tribe. Look around, my friend, are you content with what you see? Are you fine with the fact, that as beds we have nothing than some hides from beasts, slain not even by us but by our fathers? Do you like, that we have nowhere to go except for this stinking cave? That our best weapons are still wooden clubs and javelins, the same that our ancestors had many generations ago? That all the boats they built, have long sunk? Do you enjoy drinking and whoring, making children that are bound to become the same drunkards and losers as their fathers? Don't you fear, that the first wandering group of able warriors will pillage this place and kill all of us, because we don't even have sober guards, despite that we hardly have anything worth to rob in the first place? Think well, my friend, because I for my part don't like it, and I'm sure the gods don't either."

"Bah, when did the gods ever bother you, Ragnar? Do you even know their names? That aside, it's true, our situation is bad, and that's mildly spoken."

"They bother me now, Ulfr, and don't worry, I'll learn their names again. And so will you, and all of our people. We will drink water, and eat our crops and honey, instead of brewing ale and mead. We will work, we will build houses and walls, we will learn, we will fight and we will sacrifice to the gods. We will build new ships and roam the seas. We will live like Norsemen again, and not like the pack of hopeless drunks we are now. So, what do you say?"

"Well, I'll surely miss our feasts, but so be it. You're right, we can't afford to live like this any longer."

"Then call all men, that are ready to carry a weapon, to a Thing when the sun is high. I will have our women take care of this pigpen meanwhile. Bet they were long dreaming of this day. Now help me to get rid of all those unswallowable drinks."
      Last edited by Vikings (DoB); March 29, 2012, 19:23.

Comment

Archaelogically speaking, there is little evidence of the Ottoman civilization in this area. Legends abound, but the scientific evidence is scant. There are primitive working tools, with inscriptions that could be early Ottoman script, but they could just as easily be of Greek or Byzantine origin.

Melih watched and listened to the argument from his corner of the tent. His uncle, the head chieftain, Bedri Ayhan was a powerful figure. Large in stature, his heavy beard made him seem even larger, almost godlike to the young Melih. Many had opinions, but his uncle's main adversary was a sub-chieftain of some standing, Mustafa Mehmet. He was famous for having made the longest sea voyage by raft of any of the tribe, and for having returned to talk about it.

Tempers flared and subsided. The debate raged on.

Eventually Melih fell asleep.
        Last edited by Ottomans (DoB); March 31, 2012, 15:06.

Comment

Little Qin Shi Huang looked out from his father's tent to see mother and father arguing about what they had done. It has been several moons travelling over the mountains with the "chosen few". These were 18 families from their old village who had joined his father's plan to set up an honorable village. The split occurred at the council pit when Father disagreed with warlord Zheng over his treatment of children during the raid of a nearby settlement. Father had shot his mouth off and was banished by Zheng. He urged others to join him to establish an honorable state. The chosen few that had agreed with his father had assembled with all they could carry and walked over the mountains to find a beautiful area between two rivers, with rich soil for rice and plentiful fish to keep them well fed during the early spring they were enjoying. But mother was not happy. She never seemed to be happy with anything father did. Qin promised himself then never to get wed. Nothing but trouble and angst.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cefaluview1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	9093019

On the coast of a large lake the tribe known as the Byzantines have created a settlement called Constantinople. Though it was the first time anyone in the tribe had ever built a building they were none the less still able to creat many buildings including a palace for where there leader, Constantine, could rule over them.

Comment

He had watched the stars for many years now, looking for signs and portents. His people had lived as nomads for as long as he could remember, living off what they could forage from the lands. But no more! His father had made him promise that he would lead his people to a greater glory than endless travelling, without any roots or destiny.

Brennus decided that he would no longer wait for any portent, and that if the stars could not provide the answers he sought he would now take matters into his own hands. His advisor, Cuidightheach, had sent out scouts looking for an area of land they could call home several moons ago, and they had returned telling of a land rich in resources. The Celtic people had now arrived in this land, and the people settled down here forming a small community under the guidance of Brennus. Brennus hoped that his people could thrive here - but he was worried. His people were not used to the thought of staying in a place for too long, and he worried that some of them would leave. But worries didn't feed his people... Tomorrow would come soon enough, and the future of the his people would be decided eventually, he thought.

Brennus said a short prayer to the Earthmother, asking for her benevolence and protection for his people, and grabbed his hunting gear preparing to join his finest warriors to hunt for food. For now, that was all he could do.

Name:	acy_ecran06.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	9093034
              Last edited by Celtia (DoB); April 1, 2012, 22:21.

Comment

In the beginning there were many man and women who wandered the lands where the Sun dive in to the Ocean. They were all lived in caves and holes. But the smartest and most able man of them all built a hut and maimed a woman to live with him in it. His name was Porto and her name was Portu. So was founded the first settlement in those lands and those two were the first to live civilized.
                Attached Files

Comment

Led by their druid seers Elizabeth and her people followed the stars across desert, mountains, rivers, forest, and finally the great sea itself. Discovering a fertile land their chief shaman announces "here our great journey stops, in this place a strong people shall rise - we shall name this place London!" The weary travelers begin unpacking their belongings but Elizabeth, de facto leader of her people, calls out "we must celebrate this momentous occasion, let us drink tea." As they sip their delicious warm beverage they look out across the waters just traveled and see another tribe also unloading their well traveled supplies. These unusual people seem to be wearing large foppish hats and to speak some strange snooty language. Elizabeth ponders the implications, who else may have followed us into these lands and be they friend of foe?

Comment

Jean lowered his one-wheeled cart to the ground. His cart was full as the grapes and fruit were plentiful in the area. Even the women-folk's wicker baskets, which they carried on their head like large "foppish" hats, were full of fruit. The valley where the elders had founded the village of Paris was right beside the Mer, or sea.

There were a number of wild boar in the area which competed for the roots and fruits but there was lots of food for man and beast. It was the two tribes of Merfolk, people of the sea, that worried Jean. Their top half appeared human and yet their lower half was scaly like a floating log or strange fish. These strange merfolk could be seen bobbing in the water catching fish to eat.

Jean did not think the merfolk could walk on land so there was little to fear from the Mermen but the Mermaids would float near the Paris shore topless and sing songs trying to lure the young french boys into the water, presumably to drown them.

The tribal elders had decided it was best to send the boys of Paris into the mountains each summer, away from the tempting Mermaids or Sirens as some called them, to explore the surrounding hills. Each summer the boys of Paris would dare each other to go just a little bit further in exploring the surrounding lands...

Comment

Cuidightheach entered Brennus' tent, looking pleased. "My Lord, we have lived here for many moons now, and it seems your people have come to accept this land as their new home. You have proven that you are able to guide our people, and your father would have been proud of you!"

Brennus didn't know what to say. Cuidightheach was regarded as a stern old man, and had never been a man known for giving praise lightly.

Cuidightheach continued: "But, my Lord, it is time for you to pick a new wife. You are almost 22 winters old, you need a son to take over as the new chieftain if something should happen to you, and Aithe still haven't borne you a son. The people will lose faith in you if you do not do this."

Now Brennus did know what to say: "That is out of the question, Cuidightheach. Aithe is my wife, and I love her. I will not set her aside! I am certain we will have a son. Let me talk to the wise women and see if they can come up with something to aid us."

Cuidightheach gave Brennus a stare Brennus was all too familiar with. It reeked of "You have no idea what you are doing, as usual", and Brennus hated that look. Brennus knew Cuidightheach only wished the best for his people and his family - that was after all why he was his first advisor - but the man could be unsufferable when intent on something. "Love is not for Chieftains, Brennus. Your father knew this when he married your mother. But, I will let you talk to the wise women. If they do not know how to aid you, then you must follow my advice, or else your family heritage will be for naught!"

Brennus sighed heavily as Cuidightheach turned around and left the tent. The mere thought of replacing Aithe with someone else from the village was revolting. He knew she loved him, and he knew he would have to send her away .. No. He did not want to think about this anymore. He stood up and put on his coat, said a short prayer to the Earthmother for her benevolence and blessing, and left his tent to go talk to the wise women of the village. He was sure they would be able to help, silently repeating the prayer to the Earthmother: "Earthmother, please hear my words. Grant me your boon, and see my love. Let me have a son together with Aithe. This is all I ask of you."

Name:	holyearth.jpg
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	9093033
                      Last edited by Celtia (DoB); April 1, 2012, 22:20.

Comment

Himilce, princess of Spain, says to her little nephew while teaching him the Laws of the Land, the Wise and the People:

"
                        You know my dear Astor, in our society, women are the center of all things.

Nature, we believe, has given women the ability to create; therefore it is only natural that women be in positions of power to protect this function....

We trace our clans through women; a child born into the world assumed the clan membership of its mother.
                        Our young women were expected to be physically strong....
                        The young women receive formal instruction in traditional planting....

Since the Spanish are absolutely dependent upon the crops they grow, whoever controls this vital activity wields great power within our communities. It is our belief that since women are the givers of life they naturally regulate the feeding of our people....

In all countries, real wealth stems from the control of land and its resources. Our Spanish philosophers know this as well as we know natural law. To us it makes sense for women to control the land since they were far more sensitive to the rhythms of the Mother Earth. We do not own the land but are custodians of it.

Our women decide any and all issues involving territory, including where a community is to be built and how land is to be used....
                        In our political system, we mandate full equality. Our leaders are selected by a caucus of women before the appointments are subject to popular review....

Our traditional governments are composed of an equal number of men and women. The men are chiefs and the women clan-mothers....As leaders, the women closely monitor the actions of the men and retain the right to veto any law they deem inappropriate....

Our women not only hold the reigns of political and economic power, they also have the right to determine all issues involving the taking of human life. Declarations of war have to be approved by the women, while treaties of peace are subject to their deliberations.
                        "
                        Last edited by Spain (DoB); April 2, 2012, 07:50.
                        La República de Catalunya sempre en els nostres cors

Comment

The legend of the Fire-Colored-Banner

Some say we wander here from the East long ago, but those are only the ranting of toothless Old Men. No matter what anyone thinks we come from this place. This is our land. At the beginning of time there was a great Mountain Volcano, with a great fire in his belly. He was the father. Also a small Ocean that was not so wide, but very deep. She was the Mother. So deep was the Ocean, that the nether regions were said to be unreachable by any creature Man or beast. It was even said she reached into the Nether-Kingdom were the dead reside. One day the Mountain Father looked upon the deepness of the Ocean and his love for her grew. He wanted to be nearer to her. So he called to her to come cover him with her waters and she did. Her waters swelled and rose higher and higer until they covered everything, including the Mountain Father. Once Mountain Father was completely inside the Ocean Mother, his fires raged and spewed forth firey lavas and these formed this place, and us the people.

So we come from the deepest nether regions of the Ocean, and the powerful volcanic fires of the Mountain. We are masters of the Ocean and masters of Fire. Our color is firey Orange in honor of our Mountain Father, and his union with Ocean Mother. We are nation of Fire, bourne from the Nether-Regions.
                          "In the service of Netherlands, always" - Captain Eriksen, Royal Netherlands Navy

Comment

Jean was lying on his straw mat, his eyes dim with the passing of too many winters. The Paris of his youth had changed so much, with many more families being born. Despite their best efforts the elders had been unable to keep the young men away from the Sirens and now the coast was littered with mud huts of French men with Siren mates (or English as they called themselves) and their half-breed offspring. Even his own son Jean-Guy had taken a Siren mate and been banished from the family home.

Jean's eldest son, Jean-Paul, had been scouting along the land border with the other merfolk tribe and noticed them gathering wood in the forested hills. Jean-Paul had surmised that the merfolk were building a massive fire to keep the Sirens at bay but Jean-Guy had interjected that the sticks were probably to craft rafts from which the merfolk would catch fish. The very idea that men could walk on water with a bundle of sticks was the darkest magic as far as Jean was concerned and he along with the other tribal elders had forbidden the young men from even trying.

If that wasn't enough to worry about the boys of Paris had reported seeing signs of another tribe in the hills. Their tracks were small but deep and the boys had decided to call the new tribe Dwarves, although none had seen this strange new tribe yet beyond their markings.

With so many threats to worry about, Jean's brow was permanently furrowed with wrinkles but as his last breath left his body the worries lifted as did the wrinkles as Jean embraced the final peace of death. It was now time for a new generation to take up those worries.

Comment

8 year old Qin walked through the settlement that father and the council of elders have called Beijing . In the last few weeks even more people have joined the chosen few from neighboring states. They grow tired of warring and father is promising protection. Qin watches as people erect their huts and cover their homes with thatch and reeds from the river swamps. Much preparation has begun for the protection of the village. A party of laborers are moving earth and placing poles on the top to stand behind. Another peoples gang has been told to find strong straight branches to make spears, while a third is trying to find good black flat rocks from the river to top the spears. Qin spoke to one of the newcomers, a older boy named Shen, who is trying to make a ash sampling bend and be held by bamboo strings but the wood keeps breaking and he can’t get the string to hold. He has been laughed at by everyone else but there is something about Shen’s fervor that Qin can’t laugh at, so he has encouraged him and worked together. Shen described how in another village he saw a shaped branch throw wood sticks, but he doesn’t remember what secrets the elder used to bend the branch. How can you bend wood without it breaking? Qin keeps wondering…

Comment

Working...
                              X