No announcement yet.

Baseball is Here!! MLB 2012!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... at the All Star Break, the Washington Nationals and the Pittsburgh Pirates are both in 1st Place in their respective divisions. Wow!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• 13 innings so far in Baltimore. Hell of a game, too bad I didn't head up for it. Go Tigers!!!!
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Awww, ****. Nevermind.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Robbie Ross of the Rangers is good. He may get better than good. I don't know if he'll end up being a Starter or a Closer. I'm thinking Starter.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Doesn't anyone need starting pitching? The Cubs have Dempster and Garza for sale.

Comment

• Patience; they're just holding out for the right prospects. Trust Theo.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Trade deadline is always good for that. Though, unforunately, with Greinke on the block too, the Cubs won't get the choice of top tier prospects (unless they wait for Greinke to get dealt and then it may be too late).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Greinke is actually less desirable than either Garza (only 29) and Dempster (a pure rental) to some teams. Past issues with performance anxiety are reportedly being red-flagged by some GMs.

I think Philly debating Hamels (extend vs trade him) is also holding things up. If he's on the market (which I don't expect), it definitely changes things.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Greinke and Garza are actually BOTH 28 (one month apart). Recall Greinke started in the majors when he was 20.

Greinke is also having a FAR better season than Garza for those teams that need a pitcher for the stretch drive & playoffs (such as the Braves).

Comment

• I don't disagree; just recently read that Boston, NYY and LAD have all passed on Greinke... could be a negotiating technique to keep the price down.

Cubs are looking specifically for young arms. They have reasonable position player options, but the system is bereft of high-upside pitchers.

Comment

• AFAIK, Boston, NYY, and LAD don't really need another big time arm (or don't need how much it'll cost to get one of the big name arms). So of course they are passing on the big name expensive types.

Comment

• Dempster is going to Atlanta.

Comment

• During my outing to the camera store just now, Dempster was announced as traded while going there, but Dempster himself denied it via Twitter while I was driving home. He's a 5-and-10 guy who he has said he is willing to waive his no-trade rights for the good of the team... Sounds iike someone forgot to check with him. Stay tuned.

Comment

• Oops!

I'm guessing anyone that deals a higher name pitcher to the Braves is going to demand at least Delgado now.

Comment

• Multiple sources confirm that it's Dempster's approval holding up the deal. He's almost certainly looking to wet his beak a bit in exchange for waiving his no-trade rights.

And it looks like Garza is indeed also on the block:
                                According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, the Cubs are discussing a trade that would send Matt Garza to the Dodgers for pitching prospect Zach Lee.

Garza, 28, has registered a cool 3.91 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 96/32 K/BB ratio in 103 2/3 innings this season. He's scheduled to hit the free agent market in 2014. Lee was the 28th overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X