"How Walter Cronkite Helped Lose the Vietnam War 44 Years Ago"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How Walter Cronkite Helped Lose the Vietnam War 44 Years Ago"

How do you stand on the conclusions reached in the story? Having studied the last ditch throw of the NVA and VC in the Tet and their utter defeat on the battlefield, I find I have to agree, though I had the highest regard for Cronkite. It cannot be escaped that at the very least he left behind reporting the news and instead made the news. It was a higher time back then for reporting, with the private lives of politicians respected, even JFK doing Marlyn Monroe was not touched until much later. A time less crass, of greater class, long gone.

What do you think?

COMMENTARY | It has been a truism among some people that back in the good old days of broadcast journalism before the rise of cable news, the big three networks did not interject their personal politics into their reporting. Like many truisms, this is not true.

Forty-four years ago, on Feb 27, 1968, Walter Cronkite, once called the most trusted man in America, ended his half-hour broadcast on the "CBS Evening News" with the observation the Vietnam War was in stalemate and negotiations offered the only way out. This was not reporting news but offering an opinion, one that later turned out to be, while wide of reality, self fulfilling.

The story sets up a legend that upon hearing Cronkite opine, then President Lyndon Johnson concluded that if he had lost Cronkite he had lost the country and thus the war. But W. Joseph Campbell, author of "Getting it Wrong," suggests this part of the story is more legend than reality.

Whether Cronkite's observation eventually affected American policy in Vietnam or not, it was one of the first overt cases of liberal bias in TV media. And despite the initial shock of the Tet Offensive, which led to Cronkite concluding that victory in Vietnam was impossible, the most trusted man in America got it wrong.

Years after the Tet Offensive, shortly after the Vietnam War was over, Washington Post reporter Peter Braestrup published a two-volume work called "The Big Story" that suggested media reporting on the Tet Offensive was overly negative and contributed to a psychological defeat of American policy makers and the American public. Col. Harry Summers, who wrote a 2001 review of the book, calls it the best book on Tet and the media's treatment of it.

Steven Hayward reports the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese suffered massive losses as a result of Tet. But Cronkite and the media firestorm that followed, as well as the burgeoning costs of the war, precluded any strategy of capitalizing on what was a clear communist defeat. Tet might well have been a military victory for America and her allies, but partly thanks to Cronkite and the liberal media, it proved to be a psychological defeat.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

If he had that much sway, he should have given his opinion much earlier. It was a bad war we never should have been in.

Comment

I feel sad for all Vietnam Vets to think that essentially it was all a colossal waste of their time...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I understand where you're coming from Aeson, and agree with your take on it, but imo a bad, as in dreadful, horrific, evil, war is still better won than lost if the side one stands by is a democracy. It would have been much better if Kennedy had not sent troops, and Johnson had not sent many more, but they did. Once that's done one might just as well win and allow democracy to flourish, even if contaminated. After the victory the Vietnamese would have had the freedom to make of it what they would instead of a top heavy communism ruling through the commissars, and the folks who had had the power to decide for themselves sent to "reeducation camps", the ARVN soldiers and political leaders shot. Sure once the war was won there would have had to be a big push for democracy, but freedom over communism, that is to say dictatorship, any old day.
        Last edited by Lancer; February 29, 2012, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          I feel sad for all Vietnam Vets to think that essentially it was all a colossal waste of their time...
          It was a colossal waste of their time, years, lives.

Comment

That post stands on its own. The point is, might Cronkite have helped make it so? Might not a victory for the US and ARVN been a victory for democracy if Cronkite has stuck to his chosen profession of reporter of the news?

I consider this to be the essence of the article. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

How dare he speak truths you don't like.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Who? What truths? How do you know I don't like them?

To my knowledge none has said anything I don't agree with.

Comment

Yet another pathetic, angry, brain dead, troll goes by the wayside.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                    It was a colossal waste of their time, years, lives.
                    You can include all the Vietnamese that were killed in this proxy dick measuring contest.
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

They are the ones I count first, even before the draftees who had little more choice.

But...did you read the article?

This forum has been taking the easy way out for far too long, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                        ... blabla .. a victory for democracy ... blabla...
                        I think your brain is in a tail spin... The US was supporting a corrupt leadership gang in South Vietnam. Nothing to do with democracy whatsoever.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with you about the brain, at 53 years old with various decrepitudes how else might it be?

Nevertheless, there were but two sides in the conflict. If you despise democracy, dan, do you then embrace the communism of the NVA? Would you rather be in servitude to a commissar?

Comment

I don't think Cronkite had much to do with anything. Public opinion against the war was already around 50% in 67. Cronkite was slow to the party, not a leader of it. It's only natural as we continued along achieving nothing (or less than nothing) that more and more people would realize it was a mistake and want us out of there.

Comment

South Vietnam was by no means a democracy. How do you explain an all Catholic government headed by a successive line of Air Force generals in a country that was 90% Buddhist? Oh, and let's not forget that one of those generals tried to exterminate Buddhism.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X