NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donovan McNabb thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame:

Free-agent quarterback Donovan McNabb had a one-word reply when asked recently if he believes he should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- "Absolutely."
    I will say this. The article from ESPN compared McNabb favorably with Jim Kelly. They're in the same ballpark statistically but McNabb has the advantage that always gets ignored... 3459 career rushing yards and 29 rushing touchdowns.

Of course, Kelly went to 4 Super Bowls...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• When determining HoF credentials for QBs, going to 4 SB > 3459 yards and 29 TDs in Rushing.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
        When determining HoF credentials for QBs, going to 4 SB > 3459 yards and 29 TDs in Rushing.
        What about going to 5 NFC Championship games and losing 4 of them?

Realistically, McNabb is in the Hall of 'Very Good' category. He's not a Hall of Famer.

It's interesting that his stats are so similar to Jim Kelly's (but McNabb had a whole lot less INTs), though. Even more interesting because McNabb was better than his stats indicate at first blush, given him leading the Eagles to so many playoff appearances with such lackluster WR talent.

Also, McNabb's 2.2% INT ratio is tied for 3rd lowest all-time with Tom Brady. Only Neil O'Donnell (really?) and Aaron Rodgers have lower INT%'s than Brady and McNabb.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Sounds like McNabb's stats are better than several HOF members, including other non-champions. His career was long enough. The lack of a SB ring means he should be held to held to a tough statistical standard, sure. But the noticeably low INT rate is intriguing. His last couple years were weak, but that's no sin.

So why not HOF?
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I'll bet a quarter that it doesn't happen.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              Sounds like McNabb's stats are better than several HOF members, including other non-champions. His career was long enough. The lack of a SB ring means he should be held to held to a tough statistical standard, sure. But the noticeably low INT rate is intriguing. His last couple years were weak, but that's no sin.

So why not HOF?
              Well we all know why McNabb has a low INT%... he always throws to a receiver's feet. I think he took the term 'football' too literally.

It is surprisingly impressive, though. McNabb threw 0.70 INTs per game over his career. Tom Brady: 0.71

It would be even more impressive if it wasn't for the 15 INTs he threw as a Redskin. 15 picks was a career worst, believe it or not. Eli Manning averages over 16 picks a year.

And it wasn't like McNabb played in some conservative, run-oriented offense. He averaged 32 attempts a game (coincidentally, the same attempts per game as Eli Manning).

Comment

• I agree with JR on this one. The low INT rate does stand out and put me more on the side of his going to HOF. Alby, I'd rather have a QB that throws it to their feet (where it can't be intercepted) rather than where many QB's (esp. the Bears') throw it so it is intercepted.
                '

Comment

• He was also a prototype for the modern mobile QB. Just looked at his actual stats... 6X Pro Bowler, offensive player of the year in 04. His numbers are not overwhelming (only one 30+ TD year, never hit 4K yds, 59% career completions), but I think you can make a case for him. Also on the plus side, he really pissed off Rush Limbaugh.

If he hadn't puked on his shoes in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, he'd be in for sure.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I'd like to see it just to shut up all the Donovan McNabb haters he acquired over his career.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• How about this for "hater"? If Donovan McNabb gets into the HOF, the HOF loses all meaning.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• So I take it the consensus is from everyone but Sloww that McNabb should get in... so I guess that mean Eli is already a lock for the Hall, as well.

Comment

• What they said is that, in their mind, the possibility exists. In mine, it doesn't. That's a lot different than your interpretation.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                            I'd like to see it just to shut up all the Donovan McNabb haters he acquired over his career.
                            Like the one's in MSG, IIRC, who broke into boo's when he was selected???

Comment

• Wow, it started that early? Poor guy.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                                Wow, it started that early? Poor guy.
                                You didn't know this?

They wanted Ricky Williams.

Comment

Working...
                                X