No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain why the NFL is allowing Sean Payton to talk to anyone about filling his vacancy? Shouldn't that be someone from the front office in the first place (some one who isn't suspended)? And in the press conference there was no apology from him at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      Man, I have no feel for how to decide between these two. It seems pretty well accepted that both will succeed at the next level.
      Be careful - that's also what they said about Peyton Manning and Ryan Leak.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Leaf. How soon they forget.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
          Can anyone explain why the NFL is allowing Sean Payton to talk to anyone about filling his vacancy? Shouldn't that be someone from the front office in the first place (some one who isn't suspended)? And in the press conference there was no apology from him at all.
          His suspension doesn't begin until April 1. The GM isn't suspended until week 1.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Be careful - that's also what they said about Peyton Manning and Ryan Leak.
            This feels different to me, though I admit to not knowing much about either of them beyond press clippings.

In other news, our season opener will be on a Wednesday this year...

The NFL announced Tuesday the 2012 season will officially kick off on Wednesday September 5 with the Giants hosting the Cowboys.

The season typically begins on a Thursday, but was bumped to Wednesday this year so as not to interfere with President Barack Obama's address at the Democratic National Convention. It will be the first game played on a Wednesday since September 22, 1948.

Source: NFL on Twitter
            Mar 27 - 3:58 PM
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• That's actually pretty amusing.

In other news, the 49ers have signed Brandon Jacobs...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I think Tannehill is going early and I think he'll be successful. Maybe Miami. The last time I named any player at all was Matthew Stafford leaving high school.
                  Some argued, some still do, but I nailed that one. I think I'll nail this one, too, although to a lesser degree as I didn't start on him until his Jr. year in 2010.
                  That's because he was a WR for most of his college career.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• D'OH(pe)!

Lions RB Mikel LeShoure busted - again - for pot.

I suppose he's experienced chronic pain during his Achilles rehab.

Good thing the Lions signed Kevin Smith. I wonder if they'll draft a RB (who won't get injured ).
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Did you see film of Luck's workout when he threw the last one 70 yards? Hit the WR right in the hands. He dropped it. I think he was in shock that the ball was actually there.

After throwing the scheduled 48 passes at his pro day it was assumed that Andrew Luck was done for the day but scouts requested he throw at least one additional pass of 40 yards or more. He goes one giant step further, shocking everyone in attendance, by hurling a perfectly timed bomb into a stiff wind over 70 yards in the air right into the unfortunately slippery hands of his receiver.

Last edited by SlowwHand; April 2, 2012, 22:48.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Catch the damn ball!
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• I still think Tebow has parallels with Steve Young.
                          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; April 3, 2012, 03:33.

Comment

• I posted this in another forum but thought it would be interesting here.

I scoured old news articles about Steve Young and found some online at the Orlando Sentinel. The parallels between the two religious, left-handed, mobile QB's are striking:

I don't think any of you guys understand how bad Steve Young was. He's a Hall of Famer now and my personal greatest of all time but he wasn't always even a viable QB:

June 22, 1985: In his final game in the defunct USFL league: "Young Goes From Millionaire Quarterback To Reserve Fullback"
                            It had been a chaotic season for millionaire quarterback Steve Young, so it was fitting that it ended with him playing fullback for two plays in the second half.

Young, whose passing arm was so highly thought of that the Los Angeles Express signed him to a $40 million contract two years ago, was not treated as an expensive commodity Friday night.

The Orlando Renegades whipped Young's Express, 17-10, and Young did not play quarterback in the second half.

But midway through the third quarter, Young was rushed in to play fullback. Coach John Hadl offered a simple, if comic, explanation.

''We ran out of running backs,'' he said. ''I had to get somebody in there.''

Young's reaction: ''I was the first person he looked at.''

He wound up in Tampa but it took a 62-28 loss under Steve DeBerg for coach Leeman Bennett to start Steve Young:

After one of the worst Sundays in team history the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are playing their only ace in the hole, quarterback Steve Young, in their next game against the Detroit Lions.

Young will start and, barring injury, play the entire game. But Bucs Coach Leeman Bennett told Young Monday that he does not have to consider himself ''the savior'' of a team that has a 1-10 record.

''I just want him to go out and play football,'' Bennett said.
                            Bennett has maintained for weeks that Young was not ready to play. The official change of heart may have been prompted in part by spreading rumors that Young has looked consistently terrible in practice.
                            Young ended up leading the Bucs to a 19-16 win off 167 yards passing with 10 carries for 60 yards and no touchdowns.

And as I showed, Steve Young struggled mightily as the Bucs' starter.

Even when he got to San Francisco and started for the injured Montana, it was not a breeze, as Ed Werder wrote on October 17, 1991: "Young Under Gun In San Francisco"

The 49ers have twice as many losses in the first six weeks of this season as they had all last year. In fact, their 2-4 mark makes them the only 1990 NFC playoff team with a losing record.

Young, a former Tampa Bay Buc whose starting record of 12-23 (.343) is marginally better than Vinny Testaverde's 17-34 (.333), is often impatient in refusing to wait for plays to develop, holds the ball too long and has a tendency to lock onto one receiver. The fact he is left-handed sometimes also has caused problems.
                            Twice this season, Young has had the ball and the chance to win the game at the end and failed. The 49ers' losses have come by two, three, five and six points. This team was an NFL-best 8-1 in games decided by a touchdown or less with Montana a year ago.

Comment

• Nike unveiled the new uniforms. Pretty much all teams will look the same but the Seahawks have had some changes:

The new Seahawks uniforms unveiled Tuesday featured a change to a deeper shade of dark blue, neon green highlights throughout and a third alternate uniform in a shade of gray.
                              Seattle was the one team to get a significant uniform change. Gone was the shade of blue that debuted when the Seahawks moved into their new stadium in 2002. The uniforms also incorporate graphics of Pacific Northwest coastal Indian artwork along the side of the uniform tops and pants and around the neckline.
                              The Seahawks logo is larger on the helmets and wraps around the back.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...#ixzz1r0qgbunq

Comment

• It looks like a college uniform. Hopefully teams have the ability to veto further changes, alternate uniforms, etc. I really won't be happy if the NFL goes the same way as Oregon's jersey's.

Comment

Working...
                                X