No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a BIG difference between a one-year franchise and the upfront guarantees a player like Forte would get with a long-term deal. $7million under franchise tag is a nice haul, but considering that Forte's rookie deal was a 2nd-round thing that he thoroughly out-performed (playing for $550K last year), I think he is within his rights to squawk a bit. The guy played hard, he has played hurt, and he did not let negotiations become a distraction. And let's not forget that the Bears have publicly stated that a long-term deal for Forte is a priority for them -- under both Angelo and Emery.

If they can't get something done, the Bears' treatment of Forte is going to have a significant impact on their ability to attract free agents in the future. I'd much rather see some money go to a player like Forte than to a diva WR.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Similarly, Drew Stanton is feeling wronged by the Jets signing Tebow. He's saying he wants to be released if he's not the No. 2. So much entitlement, but from Drew Stanton, it's kind of funny.
      "Kind of funny"?? I think it's ****ing hilarious!
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• All the #1's changing teams and a #2, of any kind, is feeling wronged? And what is the minimum pay for a guy who may not even get a jersey dirty all year?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• According to ESPN he had signed a 1yr $1.25M contract just last Friday.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• That should keep him off welfare.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
              Warren Sapp accuses Jeremy Shockey of being the Bounty Snitch.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T2tYnNUVN8E
              Does that make Warren Sapp the Bounty Snitch Snitch?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• If they can't get something done, the Bears' treatment of Forte is going to have a significant impact on their ability to attract free agents in the future. I'd much rather see some money go to a player like Forte than to a diva WR.
                While I agree that I'd rather Forte got the money, this is a business. I thoroughly disagree that how they treat Forte will have SIGNIFICANT impact. Money is king and if you offer enough, people will take it. Obviously Bush didn't take that into consideration.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I agree that cash is king. I believe that's really all Forte is saying as well. The Bears got amazing production out of his rookie contract. Now it's time for the Bears to put their money where their mouth is and reward the guy with a fair deal.

I have no problem with the Bush signing, but I think it's disingenuous to call Forte a whiner when you look at the realities of what he played for (4 years, $3.7 million total), how well he played, and the contracts that lesser RBs are signing. Pointing out what everyone already knows (and generally agrees with) isn't whining in my book.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Most of the comments in the papers this morning agreed with my whining comments (yes, I know that doesn't prove anything) but it does mean I'm not the only one out there. He did turn down a guaranteed 14 mil last year so he will continue to not get any sympathy from me.

What he played for is really meaningless in this discussion. His new contract will be based on how well he played. (as it should be) And if he is holding out for so much that the bears feel it necessary to use the franchise tag for leverage, he's got himself to blame. The bears have the reputation of offering fair market value to those that deserved it. Ask Urlacher, Cutler, Briggs, Tillman, Hester, and Harris.

All his whining shows that he's more interested in himself than the team that was trying to improve itself by getting another weapon that will make him look better.
                    Think how much better Forte will look with other weapon attracting attention.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• He wanted money like Peterson got but Peterson should never have gotten that money in the first place, IMHO. Then AP goes out and gets injured which just reinforced the stupidity of giving out those types of contracts and why teams (esp. the Bears) try not to do so. They are accused of being stingy but have actually done well by their star players, as RAH pointed out. So yes, I am starting to think he is being whiny and should have taken what was offered to him last year. I hope they can still work out a deal but I don't like the advice he is getting and think nothing will change and he will keep the franchise tag. Hope I am wrong.

Comment

• And in the latest news, Marion Barber has retired. Boy, he had a bad year, but I didn't think it would lead to that!

Comment

• Amazing how you both conveniently forget all the whining we heard from Urlacher and Briggs before their paydays. And let's not forget: the Bears paid Hester for production that they are never going to see. Forte hasn't (yet) even threatened a holdout. Yet for the past 3 years, he has made less than his backup.

And the $14MM floated to the media to make the Bears appear serious is significantly below market value for what Forte has delivered, and for what his potential is. And don't forget, he is not in the RB danger window of 29-30 years old. The dude is only 25.

And what has he delivered? Since 2008 (his rookie year), more touches and more total yards than any RB except AP and CJohnson. And more catches than any RB in football. Last year, he accounted for 43.6% of the offense in the first half of the year. And he is running behind what can only be charitably described as a mediocre line.

Does he deserve AP/CJ money? Maybe, maybe not. But he sure as hell deserves to make more than the likes of DeAngelo Williams, Marshawn Lynch, and Frank Gore. The market has been set, and I for one would like to see Matt Forte get what he deserves.

Comment

• So you're saying since Caroline, Seatle, SF, Minnisota and Tennessee screwed up on their RB contracts, the Bears should follow suit and screw up also?
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                              So you're saying since Caroline, Seatle, SF, Minnisota and Tennessee screwed up on their RB contracts, the Bears should follow suit and screw up also?
                              Yup. Let Forte walk. That's how you make a Super Bowl run!

And Jrabbit, Forte is 26 and will be 27 before the end of next season. Marshawn Lynch, believe it or not, is 4 months younger than Forte.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I do want him to stay and to get money like the third or fourth best running back. It just seems like he wants the top or #2 money and even though I loved what he did, I still don't think he is worth that much. But I don't think the Bears will raise offer much from last years.

Comment

Working...
                                X