No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's funny, because I distinctly remember watching Shockey as a Giant swerve across the field so he could deliver a hit to a cornerback on the way to the endzone.

Comment

• Mr. Forte is frustrated:

"There's only so many times a man that has done everything he's been asked to do can be disrespected!" Forte wrote on his Twitter account. "Guess the good guys do finish last."

Source: Matt Forte on Twitter
      Mar 22 - 2:50 PM
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I liked the move with Bush. They still have lots of cap space and can negotiate with Forte (who unfortunately still doesn't understand football is a business esp. when it comes to the RB position) and are protected in case he sits out. So far, I like the moves by the Emery. I would like to see another WR and some defensive moves but there is lots of time left and the draft still to come.

Comment

• I really have a problem that someone that has had continued negotiations and has been tagged as a Franchise player which guarantees that he be paid like the top players at that position can feel disrespected. If they were offering him way below market value I might understand, but some of the dollars I've heard tossed around were not that bad. And if by signing someone else to make them stronger at that position for considerably less than they offered you makes you feel disrespected then you can just deal with it. I really like him but he's starting to sound like a petulant child.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
            I really have a problem that someone that has had continued negotiations and has been tagged as a Franchise player which guarantees that he be paid like the top players at that position can feel disrespected. If they were offering him way below market value I might understand, but some of the dollars I've heard tossed around were not that bad. And if by signing someone else to make them stronger at that position for considerably less than they offered you makes you feel disrespected then you can just deal with it. I really like him but he's starting to sound like a petulant child.
            You Bears fans are so miserly when it comes to offensive players. Matt Forte is arguably a top 5 back in the league and you're not treating him as such. The franchise tag is a tool to prevent price discovery for players. When is the last time your team's front office held on to a RB for more than 4 years? Neal Anderson? Given the track record of the Bears front office with the past 3 RBs, it isn't absurd to view Bush's signing as a legitimate threat.

And the worst thing is, you Bears fans are so wrapped up in the Ditka complex that you don't want talented if somewhat egotistical or emotional players on your team.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Ditka
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                That's funny, because I distinctly remember watching Shockey as a Giant swerve across the field so he could deliver a hit to a cornerback on the way to the endzone.
                Yes sir! I remember that too. Shockey was the ****
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• crap? Yeah.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                    You Bears fans are so miserly when it comes to offensive players. Matt Forte is arguably a top 5 back in the league and you're not treating him as such. The franchise tag is a tool to prevent price discovery for players. When is the last time your team's front office held on to a RB for more than 4 years? Neal Anderson? Given the track record of the Bears front office with the past 3 RBs, it isn't absurd to view Bush's signing as a legitimate threat.

And the worst thing is, you Bears fans are so wrapped up in the Ditka complex that you don't want talented if somewhat egotistical or emotional players on your team.

I realized this a few years back with the way they discarded Thomas Jones.

The Bears have Brandon Marshall now to go with Johnny Knox... they have Michael Bush who really is a starting caliber RB with great hands for a power back and a fantastic complement to Matt Forte. This squad is looking pretty nice.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Forte is mad the Bears signed another runningback? The NFL is a two back system, that's the way it works. Teams want 2 good to great runningbacks on their teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                        Forte is mad the Bears signed another runningback? The NFL is a two back system, that's the way it works. Teams want 2 good to great runningbacks on their teams.
                        Taken in context of the Bears organization, it's more of a deleveraging of Forte's value. It's not a master stroke of on field strategy.
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Similarly, Drew Stanton is feeling wronged by the Jets signing Tebow. He's saying he wants to be released if he's not the No. 2. So much entitlement, but from Drew Stanton, it's kind of funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                            You Bears fans are so miserly when it comes to offensive players. Matt Forte is arguably a top 5 back in the league and you're not treating him as such.
                            You are correct. Matt Forte is easily one of the top 5 RBs in the NFL. And the Bears offered to pay him like a top 5 RB. That is what a Franchise tag is. It is the average of the top 5 paid players at whatever position he plays.

The Bears signing Bush means that they are still going to have a high quality RB if Forte Hold out. Forte no longer has any leverage to holding out. He will probably sign the Franchise Tag with an addendum that the Bears not Franchise him next season.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                              You are correct. Matt Forte is easily one of the top 5 RBs in the NFL. And the Bears offered to pay him like a top 5 RB. That is what a Franchise tag is. It is the average of the top 5 paid players at whatever position he plays.

The Bears signing Bush means that they are still going to have a high quality RB if Forte Hold out. Forte no longer has any leverage to holding out. He will probably sign the Franchise Tag with an addendum that the Bears not Franchise him next season.
                              The Franchise tag isn't some great benefit to players. I don't know why people keep thinking it is. It limits the ability of the player to get price discovery on long term contracts.

Comment

• I know what it does. It pays them the average of the top 5 players at his position. You just said he was a top 5 RB. Now the Bears offered to pay him like one. Does it prevent him from getting top dollar on a completely open FA market? Yes. But he is still gunna get paid like a top 5 RB.
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X