NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    "Okay, RG3 2, I've been looking over your college stats and I have to say they're very impressive. Your only shortcoming is in the INT category; but don't worry, I can help you with that."
    Had to check but you're right. Rex Grossman was a III, as well. Eerie.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
      Possible because he restructured his contract, but I'm guessing he's a camp cut. Maybe he'll figure things out with a full offseason, but if he couldn't do it all last year then I don't see how.
      Yeah, I'd say Ocho is pretty much gone. NE just added Stallworth as well. Belichick is just a TO short of becoming king of the Island of Misfit Receivers.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I read Saturday that it's Deion Branch who may be out of NE...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Wouldn't be surprised at both, really.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Quarterback David Garrard signed a one-year contract Monday with the Miami Dolphins and said he was told he'll be given a shot at the starting job.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• FINALLY

By Mark Maske, Published: March 19

The Peyton Manning sweepstakes came to an end Monday when the free agent quarterback informed the NFL teams pursuing him that he intended to sign with the Denver Broncos.

The resolution of where Manning, one of the most high-profile free agents in pro football history, will play next immediately rippled through the ranks of NFL quarterbacks. The Broncos seem intent on trading quarterback Tim Tebow and speculation immediately focused on the Miami Dolphins and Jacksonville Jaguars. A trade to either team would send Tebow back to the state where he won a Heisman Trophy and two collegiate national championships at the University of Florida.

Broncos fans were excited by the news that free agent quarterback Peyton Manning was reportedly negotiating a contract with the team. The AP caught up with fans who were wondering what adding Manning will do to current quarterback Tim Tebow. (March 19)

Broncos fans were excited by the news that free agent quarterback Peyton Manning was reportedly negotiating a contract with the team. The AP caught up with fans who were wondering what adding Manning will do to current quarterback Tim Tebow. (March 19)

Manning had narrowed his choices to the Broncos, Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers. He informed Broncos front office executive John Elway, the franchise’s Hall of Fame quarterback and two-time Super Bowl winner, on Monday morning that he planned to play in Denver. Other teams also received word of Manning’s decision, a person familiar with the deliberations said.

Manning’s agent, Tom Condon, was working to apply the finishing touches to a contract with the Broncos. No last-minute breakdown in negotiations was expected because the teams on Manning’s list of finalists understood that it would take a deal in the range of $90 million over five seasons to sign him, according to the person close to the situation.

“I’m happy that he made a decision [and] he chose Denver,” Broncos running back Willis McGahee told SiriusXM NFL Radio. “It’s a great place to play and the fans are going to really embrace him when he comes in. I think it just took our team to [another] level with him saying he’s coming to Denver.”

The Titans lost their bid to bring Manning back to the state where he played in college for the University of Tennessee.

“Peyton called me this morning to inform me of his decision and obviously I am disappointed, because I thought we would be a perfect fit,” Titans owner Bud Adams said in a written statement.

The 49ers were left scrambling to try to re-sign Alex Smith, the quarterback who helped them reach last season’s NFC title game. Smith, a free agent, also was in conversations with the Dolphins.

Manning, the only four-time most valuable player in NFL history, became pro football’s most sought-after free agent ever when the Indianapolis Colts released him March 7. He will attempt to revive his NFL career in Denver after missing all of last season following a series of neck surgeries. Manning joins a Broncos team that Tebow led to the playoffs last season.

Elway praised Manning’s recovery after Broncos representatives met with Manning and watched him throw late last week at Duke University. Manning had visited Denver earlier in his free agent deliberations.

Manning was pursued by a group of teams that also included the Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets and Washington Redskins. The Redskins seemed to get nowhere with Manning and instead completed a trade with the St. Louis Rams for the second overall selection in April’s NFL draft. They plan to take Robert Griffin III, Baylor’s Heisman Trophy winner.

Manning, who turns 36 this week, threw for 54,828 yards and 399 touchdowns in his 13 healthy seasons with the Colts. Colts owner Jim Irsay declared that his team was in rebuilding mode when he released Manning, a move that kept the club from having to pay Manning a $28 million roster bonus.

The wildly popular Tebow became a cultural and football phenomenon last season when he won seven of his first eight games after taking over as the starter for a Broncos team that began the season 1-4. The mania calmed a bit when Tebow and the Broncos lost their final three regular season games. But the attention on Tebow soared again when the Broncos beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in a first-round AFC playoff game, only to lose at New England six days later in a conference semifinal.

Even when Tebow was winning, there were persistent questions about whether Elway and the Broncos regarded him as the franchise’s long-term solution at quarterback. Tebow’s leadership and running ability were unquestioned, but he struggled with his passing accuracy, finishing the regular season with a completion rate of 46.5 percent.

The Dolphins were rebuffed in their efforts to get Manning and failed to sign free agent quarterback Matt Flynn, the former Green Bay Packers backup who agreed to a contract with the Seattle Seahawks over the weekend. Miami did agree to a one-year contract with free agent David Garrard on Monday. The Jaguars have Blaine Gabbert, a first-round draft pick last spring, and just signed free agent Chad Henne, a former Dolphins starter.
              And the odds of Denver winning the SB went from 75 to 1 to 10 - 1... would have been a great bet last week.
              Last edited by Ming; March 20, 2012, 08:34.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• 3x Pro Bowler and 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year Demeco Ryans was traded to the Eagles for a 4th round pick. That really shores up the Eagles' weakest position and the Texans are now without their defensive stars in Ryans and Mario Williams.

Comment

• Bountygate punishments have been meted out...

The NFL levied severe penalties Wednesday against multiple members of the Saints organization for their participation or connection with the bounty system that was run by former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams between 2009 and 2011.

--Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely.
                  --Saints head coach Sean Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season
                  --Saints general manager Mickey Loomis suspended for the first eight games and LBs/assistant head coach Joe Vitt for the first six.

In addition, Loomis was fined $500,000 and the Saints were stripped of second-round draft choices in the 2012 and 2013 drafts.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Bountygate punishments have been meted out...

Comment

• Unusually quiet in recent weeks, the New York Jets shattered the calm Wednesday by completing a trade for polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow.
                      The Jets sent two picks -- a fourth-rounder and sixth-rounder in 2012 -- to the Denver Broncos in exchange for a seventh-round selection.

Sanchez... Tebow... Sanchez... Tebow...

Who do I root f djiwakj'sdk
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; March 21, 2012, 13:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Bountygate punishments have been meted out...
                        Sounds about right to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                          Sounds about right to me.
                          sounds incomplete to me. I'll reserve judgement until we find out how the players are punished. But so far, a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Punishment for any Saints players involved will be determined later, because the league is still reviewing the case with the NFL Players Association.
                            Link
                            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Kind sucks for the Rams, who lose their defensive coordinator (G. Williams) effective immediately and indefinitely.

The GM's suspension (Loomis) doesn't start until Week 1 in September.
                              Coach Payton's suspension starts April 1st.

Comment

• Waiting on NFLPA input
                                NEW YORK -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday that DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, will speak to his constituency at meetings this week, then Smith and union leadership will report back to Goodell with recommendations for player punishment in the New Orleans Saints "bounty" scandal.

Goodell said he'll apply those recommendations to his own findings, then make a decision about player discipline. He didn't say there was a timetable.
                                Lying (still) makes it worse
                                New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton's suspension without pay for the entire 2012 season highlighted the severe penalties the NFL levied Wednesday in the "bounty" scandal, and Commissioner Roger Goodell made it clear the league wasn't happy about being deceived during its investigation.

"This went on for three years, and it was investigated. We were misled, there were denials throughout that period," Goodell told NFL Network's Rich Eisen in a live interview. "Clearly, we were lied to. We investigated this back in 2010. We were told it was not happening, and it continued for another two years."

Many players around the league have voiced their incredulity over the severity of the penalties -- former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, and general manager Mickey Loomis will sit out the first eight games of the 2012 season -- but Goodell was emphatic that this kind of behavior will not be accepted in the NFL.

"I don't think you can be too hard on people that put at risk our players' health and safety," Goodell said. "That is a critical issue for us. ... We always protect that.

"It is clear that this policy was violated," Goodell added. "We took action as quickly as we could but wanted to be thorough and fair."
                                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                                X