Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
    why?
    It takes money away from the third world farmers so they won't be able to feed their kids and keep filling their countries with more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      Local food is evil
      Yeah, eating tobacco is hard.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        He's a dumbass like Drake. He's like the fat ****s on yahoo comments who think it's un-American to eat healthily. Because certain things get associated with a 'liberal' lifestyle, they're bad.

The lower energy expenditures from not having to ship the food so far alone make it worthy if you are willing to pay a small premium for environmental consciousness.
        The shipping costs are already factored into the price of anything you buy. If the problem is unaccounted for carbon dioxide emissions you could just buy some carbon credits instead of restricting your food choices.

Comment

A few of the on-campus restaurants here are "local food". I refuse to eat at them. One of them is "fair trade compliant."
          Very odd. What is wrong with "fair trade compliant"? It's a voluntary standard and makes people feel good about their choices, and it may even help. Is it fraudulent in some way?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Very odd. What is wrong with "fair trade compliant"? It's a voluntary standard and makes people feel good about their choices, and it may even help. Is it fraudulent in some way?
            Derp it sounds like some liberal hippie **** so herp it's evil.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sure it is - it steals work from local illegal immigrants and their employers profit
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                Yeah, eating tobacco is hard.
                QFT, although northern Virginia mainly produces dairy. Hard to live on just milk.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                Just because you live in a place which doesn't have great local food doesn't mean the rest of us do as well.
                You live in California, most stuff grows there anyway. I wouldn't oppose eating locally grown corn in Iowa.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The idea is that unless third worlders get paid the same as first worlders, you shouldn't buy from them. You don't see why that's bad?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    The shipping costs are already factored into the price of anything you buy. If the problem is unaccounted for carbon dioxide emissions you could just buy some carbon credits instead of restricting your food choices.
                    This, also producing fertilizer creates way more carbon dioxide than shipping, and in most places you need way more of it to get "local food" items to grow. This combined with agricultural runoff means that it's actually substantially worse for the environment.

Comment

The idea is that unless third worlders get paid the same as first worlders, you shouldn't buy from them. You don't see why that's bad?
                      That's patently false, you imbecilic dwarf!
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

This, also producing fertilizer creates way more carbon dioxide than shipping, and in most places you need way more of it to get "local food" items to grow. This combined with agricultural runoff means that it's actually substantially worse for the environment.
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          It takes money away from the third world farmers so they won't be able to feed their kids and keep filling their countries with more people.
                          i have seen no evidence that local food takes money from the truly needy. in fact there numerous examples of the rush to grow export crops hurting the poor (through food shortages, land thefts, exploitation of labourers etc.).
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

a
                            in most places you need way more of it to get "local food" items to grow. This combined with agricultural runoff means that it's actually substantially worse for the environment.
                            do you have any evidence for that statement?
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Don't have anything to post, but from doing research about it around a year and a half ago, fertilizer is a significant part of emissions but still less than shipping in most cases. This, and that organic farmers can use fertilizer with a reduced footprint.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Not sure if it's been said, but the story has been proven a hoax. The restaurant found the real receipt and it was a $33 bill with a $7 tip, which is pretty good.

The story was a little too over-the-top, what with the mustache-twirling villainy of the banker.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X