No announcement yet.

KH were you in Newport Beach recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here it's 10% in restaurants and it's included in the bill. tipping taxis and the like is unheard of. i've refused to pay the 10% on a couple of occasions due to poor service.

i don't like the idea of tipping in general. i expect good service and places should pay their staff decently.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

No one tips taxi guys here either. Restaurants, bars, and very few other people get tips (caddies at golf courses, etc...).
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If it's included in the bill, their motivation is less. You may refuse if poor service is required but OK service still gets the 10% I prefer special service and the perks that go along with it. I always laugh when they give me the bill had have that smug look and say that the tip is included. I usually look up and say your loss. If they tell me up front that it's included and kick butt on the service side, I have left additional.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, there is a restaurant here which does the local-vore thing and while I like their food their service is really damn slow and not that good. Not surprisingly they automatically include a 25% tip on the bill. I went once and refuse to go back even though I really like the concept. Sorry, but if they want to do that then they need to just raise their prices and not drop an extra 25% charge at the end especially when the service was crap.

Comment

AUTO 25% that's obscene. For a guaranteed 25% tip, the waitress should have to **** ** ****.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A few of the on-campus restaurants here are "local food". I refuse to eat at them. One of them is "fair trade compliant."
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                If it's included in the bill, their motivation is less. You may refuse if poor service is required but OK service still gets the 10% I prefer special service and the perks that go along with it. I always laugh when they give me the bill had have that smug look and say that the tip is included. I usually look up and say your loss. If they tell me up front that it's included and kick butt on the service side, I have left additional.
                i suppose it depends what you want out of the service. i expect staff in a place to be polite, to be able to answer questions, to not take too long about things, to get my order right, and if any problems do occur, to resolve them quickly and professionally.

i suppose if it's a place you go all time, and the staff remember your name, your wife's birthday and your favourite table then it's different.

dinner: no one tips in bars here either. it's really only restaurants and hotels.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  A few of the on-campus restaurants here are "local food". I refuse to eat at them.
                  why?

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                    why?
                    Local food is evil
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

why?

Comment

i suppose if it's a place you go all time, and the staff remember your name, your wife's birthday and your favourite table then it's different.
                        Yes, my biggest tipping is reserved for places that I frequent often. There is one place that I eat lunch at regularly. Every now and then I bring guys from the office to drink after work. It gets hilarious since we usually end up taking turns buying rounds. Whenever it's my turn to buy the bartenders will comp that round. One night I didn't spend a dime the entire night. Again, being nice and tipping makes for great service.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          AUTO 25% that's obscene. For a guaranteed 25% tip, the waitress should have to **** ** ****.
                          That's what I said. BTW this is the place: http://thelinkery.com/blog/

When I asked them about the automatic 25% gratuity they said it was printed on the menu and sure enough it was in small print on the very back page where no one looks. I don't mind giving 25% for truly excellent service but I don't like feeling taken advantage of so I refuse to go back even though the food was really good and I like the concept (all food including condiments must come from with in 50 miles of the restaurant). The service just wasn't up to snuff for an automatic 25% gratuity. Not even close.

Comment

why?
                            He's a dumbass like Drake. He's like the fat ****s on yahoo comments who think it's un-American to eat healthily. Because certain things get associated with a 'liberal' lifestyle, they're bad.

The lower energy expenditures from not having to ship the food so far alone make it worthy if you are willing to pay a small premium for environmental consciousness.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                              Local food is evil
                              Just because you live in a place which doesn't have great local food doesn't mean the rest of us do as well.

Comment

i suppose it depends what you want out of the service. i expect staff in a place to be polite, to be able to answer questions, to not take too long about things, to get my order right, and if any problems do occur, to resolve them quickly and professionally.

dinner: no one tips in bars here either. it's really only restaurants and hotels.
                                It's more then just the basic stuff like that. It's also checking in to see how things are going, being johnny on the spot with drinks so I'm not sitting there with an empty glass, it's helping us get a good table and not one in the back next to the kitchen, making sure the couple with the screaming child gets put far away, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X