KH were you in Newport Beach recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    KH, why in the heck did you feel a need to respond? Particularly so vehemetly!

Plus...25% is a bit extravagant, isn't it? I mean, I can see that for exceptional service, but as a general rule?

It was a general rule for me until I left for Sweden.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What's the standard on this? I am always confused? it's 10-15% here, 10% around europe, and 0% in Germany, from I have seen...
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's 15% in the US and round up the bill here.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

round up the bill seems kind of vague. If I sit in a restaurant and drop 2850 Rubles it is quite clear that it means 3000 or so, however, what if the bill is 2400?
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            It was a general rule for me until I left for Sweden.

JM
            I should say, I started at 20% and rounded up. Often to some number like 30$.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have had Swedish bartenders turn down tips.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

In Sweden they charge you £10 for a f*cking beer, they can afford to pay the barstaff enough they don't need tips!

My brother wasn't allowed to take tips (working in a local government managed bar in England).
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

In Sweden they charge you £10 for a f*cking beer, they can afford to pay the barstaff enough they don't need tips!

Alcohol taxes
                  Paying ~5EUR for a pint in Israel
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

The local bew pub near my house sells a pint of the house brewed beer (which is actually pretty good) for $2 a pint regular price or for $1 during "Happy Hour" which is actually three hours long.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      Yes, the problem in Sweden.

If you are a student you can go to special clubs where they charge you about 1/3 that.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Christ, college students drink enough booze as is WITHOUT discounts.

One guy on my floor came back last night after having five shots of Everclear and two rum & cokes. He had a final exam at 8:00 AM this morning. I don't think he did so well.

Comment

Latest update says the story's not true.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've always tipped well, (maybe not as much as some) and I've always found that it's like karma. It keeps giving back to you. Besides the fantastic service you get where you're known, the freebies can out pace what you're actually tipping. That's not my purpose for tipping like I do, but it's a nice reward.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Here's a tip for better service that should be obvious, but people don't do it... remember the waitress' name when she introduces herself and use it often.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

actually remembering their kids, spouse, pets names and bringing them up in conversation is even better. (yes, more for repeat service, and it does require a bit more effort and gets harder as I get older)
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X