Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Ethical to Program an Intelligent Robot So that it Will Want to Be Your Slave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Ethical to Program an Intelligent Robot So that it Will Want to Be Your Slave?

Let's assume in the future we'll figure out how to make robots that are as smart as humans and can do the work humans do. These robots would be designed so that they would choose to obey the human that owns them. Let's assume that these robots exhibit what we consider to be signs of self-awareness. Is it morally wrong to design the robots to willingly perform all the menial crap we don't want to do for little compensation beyond energy and maintenance?

It would be unethical, though I don't know why you'd want to put a supercomputer in a Roomba
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Sure. If you can hard program it then they have no self determination. Try programming a human that way.

At the end of the day, they are a construct. A complex conglomeration of human supplied algorithms.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        It would be unethical, though I don't know why you'd want to put a supercomputer in a Roomba
        Probably so that it can handle household chores that are more complicated than cleaning floors.

Comment

It's more ethical than not doing it.

Comment

Though I would say "little compensation beyond energy and maintenance" misses the point. The compensation is we could make it fun for them... orgasmic even. (Assuming by "as smart as humans" you are saying they are sentient. If no sentience, there's no point worrying about what they think, they won't care either.)

Comment

It'll only be considered ethical if you live below Mason-Dixon
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                Though I would say "little compensation beyond energy and maintenance" misses the point. The compensation is we could make it fun for them... orgasmic even. (Assuming by "as smart as humans" you are saying they are sentient. If no sentience, there's no point worrying about what they think, they won't care either.)
                There's no test for sentience, but they are robots who seem to be self-aware so they very well might be. Let's just say they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  It'll only be considered ethical if you live below Mason-Dixon
                  Washington D.C. might be Mordor but that doesn't mean they think robot slavery is ethical.

Comment

It seems kind of cruel to design a robot to do housework, give it sentience, and then not let it do housework.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      There's no test for sentience, but they are robots who seem to be self-aware so they very well might be. Let's just say they are.
                      Then we program them to really love what they're doing. In doing so, we save someone from having to do something they don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                        It seems kind of cruel to design a robot to do housework, give it sentience, and then not let it do housework.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Washington D.C. might be Mordor but that doesn't mean they think robot slavery is ethical.
                          That's why they gave Alexandria back to Virginia.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

This reminds me of the restaurant at the end of the universe with the domestic animal which wants to be eaten. It's intelligent, speaks English, introduces himself and even makes suggestions about which parts of his body would be the most tender, then when everyone has ordered he goes into the back and humanely ends his life so cooks can chop him up.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Is it ethical to condition a human so that he will want to be your slave?
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X