Thread: Requesting opinions about system crash

Dr Strangelove
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 30, 2014
    Local Time
    10:12

Requesting opinions about system crash

Our medical practice went digital 3 years ago. We have an arrangement with a prominent company in the field, they supplied the software and set up our system. One of their services is that they back up our files every night.
    One morning last wek we came in and found that our system would not operate. We got a tech repair guy in, he discovered that ane of our on-site server's hard drives had died, but the server had a "hot spare" we he simply turned on and we were up and running. Alll well and good, but the next day the system wouldn't operate again. Examining the server it appears that after we shut down that day the new spare drive spontaneously attempted to re-configure the drives in the server from a "5" to an "0+" configuration.

Anyone have any ideas on how a peice of equipment could just up and decide to reconfigure itself?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Hauldren Collider
    Country
    This is Hauldren Collider's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 30, 2014
    Local Time
    Was he referring to RAID 5? I'm not sure why it would do that, but by the sound of it, it switched from having redundant drives to data striping--essentially the opposite of redundancy. I've heard of switching hot spares resulting in reconfiguration, but not like that. What happens when you put in a hot spare is the data is usually copied over to restore redundancy. You might be in deep **** if it decided to spontaneously change your RAID configuration.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };:

Dr Strangelove
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 30, 2014
    Local Time
    Yes, the configuration changed from RAID 5 to RAID 0+( or was it +0?). What irks me is that the spare worked fine during the day, then the problem began after we shut down. The servers are extremely important to the function of an electronic health records system. My laptop has to access it everytime I start to see a patient. Since the system worked fine during the day, then it must have continued to use the old configuration during the day.
    Yes, we're in deep ****. The company that we bought the EHR system, it turns out, only backs up the reports on the patient's visits. Extraneaous data that we enter, like off site reports, old records, X ray reports they don't back up. They never told us this and didn't advise us to purchase an auxillary back-up system. Perhaps fortunately we still have the drive that initially failed and the other two drives so it may be possible to reconstruct the old data.
    My understanding is that in the RAID 5 configuration as data is entered on the discs recording alternates between the first two discs, the idea being to minimize the amount that the read/write head has to move, supposedly speeding up the system, the third drive acts as parity. The configuration it changed to it would simply use one disc until filled, then go to the next one.
    What I want to know is, is this possible, a spontaneous change in configuration, or should I suspect hacking?

Dr Strangelove
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 30, 2014
    Local Time
    oops

Hauldren Collider
    Country
    This is Hauldren Collider's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    August 30, 2014
    Local Time
    I doubt it would be hacking. I suspect something's wrong with your RAID controller. It's been a few years since I worked with RAID, though.

And no, I don't think that's true. Raid 0 does striping--it uses both disks simultaneously to speed up access. I don't know if RAID 0+ is some special proprietary thing that acts differently though.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };: