Kind of surprised nobody mentioned the new X-COM yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of surprised nobody mentioned the new X-COM yet

It's something akin to a remake of the first game, which I never played but which was, apparently, awesome. Incidentally, is there any way to procure the original? Legally, I mean. GOG.com doesn't offer it, which sucks, though they do offer the first Deus Ex and I really should check that out.

Anyway, it looks pretty good to me. Thoughts?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Ufo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/7760/ http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMUD/x-com-ufo-defence
    Ufo Anthology: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/ http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-XCOM/x...te-pack-bundle

In my Opinion the First One (Enemy Unknown) and the Third (Apokalypse) were the Best ones, the Second One (Terror from the Deep) just managed to procure worse Graphics and horrible Ship-Missions.

Didnt check the Link, is it the Firaxis one? There are way too many Ufo Remakes/Horrible Dismemberments of the Franchise in the Loop right now.* The One with seems like a Brothers in Arms Clone? Who came up with that Idea?

Anyways the First UFO was awesome, combining RTS/TBS, Part Tactical Simulation Part Management Game, Destructible Terrain, Research Tree with several flavor Items, Base management etc. Although the Missions got a Bit Tedious after a while, I always started to Shoot down UFOs over Water or Desert to speed Things up. Ah Good Times.

Do you think Firaxis is the Best Shot to remake this Classic? Their other remakes Pirates and especially Colonization just didn't capture the Flair of the Originals for me.

*)UFO Extraterrestrials 2, Xenonauts, Firaxis XCom, X-Com
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I understand there are currently two X-COMs in the works; one is some kind of action game, the other a strategy game with a real-time(ish) world view and a tactical battle mode where you can take time to make decisions--something similar to the original game, IOW. Like I said, I never played the original game. I didn't get the Colonization mod for Civ4 because it seemed kinda beat...but still, you'd think this latest attempt would get more press here than it has. Thanks for the links!
      1011 1100

Comment

I more or less agree with Main_Brain.
        XCom 2 was more or less much like XCom 1, except that it had ships and subs in it and made slight References to the Lovecraft mythos, while XCom 3 definitely had lots of altered (and improved) gameplay.

As for the coming XCom, I will see what the first reviews say, before I decide whether to get into any state of anticipation or not.
        There have been many disappointments the last years, be it Civ V (to cite the last disappointment from Firaxis) or Stronghold 3 (the last and biggest disappointment altogether, not only was it released in an pre Alpha state [and Firefly still (after 4 months) works on squishing the numerous bugs it still has] but it also is worse than its predecessors, having only few improvements and even having lost lots of important game(play) elements [it doesn´t even incorporate a base building AI, meaning that the base game will never ever get a game mode where you can do matches against AI enemies]).

So, well, we´ll see whether the new XCom will be geat or will suck.

If you never played the original XComs I can only recommend that you play them, Elok. Their graphics (especially that of XCom 1 and 2), of course isn´t up to par with current games (unless you include certain freeware games ) but it definitely still is fun in terms of gameplay (and, without a doubt, still has a lot of potential to cause OMTS)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably get around to them after Lent (giving up games and Poly this time around, and it starts soon). Is the original Deus Ex worth getting too?
          1011 1100

Comment

The Original Deus Ex, while awesome at its Time, sadly didnt age well. The Curse of First Person View. YMMV of course.

Suffice to say the Game offered plenty of Decisions and different Solutions at certain Key Points in the Story which was unheard at the Time. The Graphics are is quite similiar to System Shock 2.
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I don't much care about graphics, so I'm fine with that. In case you can't tell, I don't get new games often. The newest game I presently own is Civ4. I have a select few games I play to death.
              1011 1100

Comment

I can remember playing the original X-Com back in high school. Man, it has been a while. Still, I haven't played the series since 1993-1994 so I'm not exactly up to date on what's gone on in the series since then plus I'm worried that the craptastic duo (2k and Firaxis) who screwed up the Civ series can't be trusted with other games.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I know Elok has given up posting for Lent, but if he is still lurking, I whole-heartedly endorse a purchase of the original Deus Ex. The recent prequel was very very good, but lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. Invisible War is the redheaded stepchild that can be safely ignored.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                  X