Register or Log In to remove the ads!

Report Bugs Hints & Tips Strategy Articles Best of Civ5 Best Leaders Member reviews Stories
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
  1. #31
    Addled Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Sep 2002
    Location
    comming at ya, with banana breath
    Posts
    8,790
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    15:22
    Scientology included.....that would be funny for 1 game
    anti steam and proud of it

    CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

  2. #32
    gdijedi7's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Jul 2004
    Location
    A Classified Location in the Secret Woods.
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    Well...you can rename your religions...
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

  3. #33
    Rome (DoB)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Mar 2012
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    December 11, 2016
    Local Time
    00:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Felch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently it's going to come with a Victorian Sci-Fi scenario, which sounds cool. I loved the Jules Verne scenario from Civ 2 (Fantastic Worlds IIRC).
    Yea, that sounds awesome. I haven't seen many really cool or innovative mods out for Civ5, hopefully this will inspire some.

  4. #34
    Russia (DoB)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Mar 2012
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    18:22
    Well even though i think this all should have been released with the game, I am still excited for it. My initial reaction was the same as most- I strongly disliked CiV, but now I actually think it is fun in its own respect. They just don't make em like they used to.

  5. #35
    gdijedi7's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Jul 2004
    Location
    A Classified Location in the Secret Woods.
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    Quote Originally Posted by 5anfljersey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your idea coincides with mine.and I think it's better.
    i am a wholesale saler about thecheap nfl jersey buy them fromi will wait you
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have a troll bot.
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

  6. #36
    Ming's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    Mingapulco - CST
    Posts
    34,264
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 219 Times in 160 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    16:22
    Quote Originally Posted by gdijedi7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have a troll bot.
    Not anymore
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.

    Keep on Civin'
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

  7. #37
    self biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Nov 1999
    Location
    Yggdrasil.
    Posts
    6,881
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 356 Times in 244 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    17:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Addled Platypus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scientology included.....that would be funny for 1 game
    so that's where they got the money to make this...
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

  8. #38

    Join Date
    20 Apr 2001
    Location
    Spijkenisse, zuid holland, netherlands
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    Agree on the opinion that they should build in religion in CiV vanila. Now they think we buy there expansion pack.. well perhaps if they somehow get rid of the 1UPT rule, and bring in transport ships, so that you can move your army's over sea quickly and safe. (like they do in RL) I hate transport units over sea that moves just 3 tiles. Perhaps the expansion pack bring in some of the depth that we all missed so much? But the real issue shall not be fixed I think... Move your army over land is a pain in the ass.. They want you to go to war with a small army.. wel.. I like my huge army's! I I think i m not the only one.

    Now where is my Civ IV icoon....

  9. #39
    mkorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2006
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    Beatie, I like the concepts in V, just not the poor execution. If G&K is just IV all over again, I'll stop buying Civ. 1UPT makes it much more tactical than just who can bring the biggest SOD.

    Mike

  10. #40
    rah's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 1999
    Location
    Same old place
    Posts
    32,935
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 493 Times in 352 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    16:22
    It all depends. I don't know what percentage of people who bought IV also bought Warlords AND BTS but would have to think the percentage was reasonably high.
    I bet the percentage of those buying the expansion pack for V will be considerably lower.
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

  11. #41
    Hercules's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Sep 2002
    Location
    On a Board Walk
    Posts
    12,158
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    So when does it actually become available.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

  12. #42

    Join Date
    30 Mar 1999
    Location
    Piacenza, Italy
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Local Date
    December 11, 2016
    Local Time
    00:22
    Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all depends. I don't know what percentage of people who bought IV also bought Warlords AND BTS but would have to think the percentage was reasonably high.
    I bet the percentage of those buying the expansion pack for V will be considerably lower.
    Based on what?

  13. #43
    Ming's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    Mingapulco - CST
    Posts
    34,264
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 219 Times in 160 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    16:22
    Civ V got a terrible reception. And the talk hasn't gotten any better. While Civ IV got off to a shaky start because of the video problems, the talk improved and the community accepted the game. Opinions got better, and Warlords was a great success... and BTS was even better.

    Here, we have a game that has not really been accepted, and most people don't think an expansion pack will change what they don't like about the current game
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.

    Keep on Civin'
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

  14. #44
    Proteus_MST's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Dec 2001
    Location
    Yuggoth
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 165 Times in 141 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    I agree...
    it wasnt a question for me to buy all Civ IV expansions shortly after they came out.

    Cannot say the same about the Civ V expansion ...
    if I will buy it (which still isnt sure) it will only after some time has passed
    and the reviews (especially from avid civ gamers, like here on Apolyton) have been positive
    (or rather ... if the reviews are positive from the bginning on and stay this way, even afetr extended play [from my own experience with Civ V vanilla I know, that initial positive experiences might change sooner or later, after discovering the shortcomings of the game])
    If anyone shall despise those who out of faith make love-feasts and invite the brethren in honour of the Lord, and is not willing to accept these invitations because he despises what is done, let him be anathema.
    Canon 11, Council of Gangra (340 AD)

  15. #45

    Join Date
    13 Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    17:22

    Red face

    Better late than never, I guess.

  16. #46
    Lambiorix_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2001
    Location
    Boechout, Belgium
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree on the opinion that they should build in religion in CiV vanila. Now they think we buy there expansion pack.. well perhaps if they somehow get rid of the 1UPT rule, and bring in transport ships, so that you can move your army's over sea quickly and safe. (like they do in RL) I hate transport units over sea that moves just 3 tiles. Perhaps the expansion pack bring in some of the depth that we all missed so much? But the real issue shall not be fixed I think... Move your army over land is a pain in the ass.. They want you to go to war with a small army.. wel.. I like my huge army's! I I think i m not the only one.

    Now where is my Civ IV icoon....
    I agree about the transport over sea.They should at least give a basic defence against pirates at sea. I understand your point of view about huge land armies but I do not agree it is currently an "issue". It is a conscious concept that they built in and I like it since I belong to those people who do not want to continuously conquer the whole world. I have no issue, I even applaud it if there remain many civilization troughout the game. As long as I am the most powerful and of course win the game (I like the space victory the most). In the real world you also have a lot of countries (or spheres of influence). To be honest I complained with the previous versions that it was too much biased to pure warmongering (so I guess that every choice has its pro's and con's )
    Last edited by Lambiorix_be; April 14, 2012 at 08:12. Reason: typo

  17. #47
    Lambiorix_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2001
    Location
    Boechout, Belgium
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all depends. I don't know what percentage of people who bought IV also bought Warlords AND BTS but would have to think the percentage was reasonably high.
    I bet the percentage of those buying the expansion pack for V will be considerably lower.
    Since the game remains addicitive even if you like the previous version more I think the expansion pack will be a success too. (They seem to have a good marketing team )

  18. #48
    Lambiorix_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2001
    Location
    Boechout, Belgium
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Civ V got a terrible reception. And the talk hasn't gotten any better. While Civ IV got off to a shaky start because of the video problems, the talk improved and the community accepted the game. Opinions got better, and Warlords was a great success... and BTS was even better.

    Here, we have a game that has not really been accepted, and most people don't think an expansion pack will change what they don't like about the current game
    I don't agree that the game was 'not accepted'. There may have been a shift in the target consumer (gamer) group. Leaving old long standing players 'in the cold' but acquiring a new group of gamers that continue the franchise being a success. (It may even be a conscious decision in view of long term sustainability of the franchise...we, who started with CIV 1, are getting old...)

  19. #49
    Nikolai's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Oct 2000
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    16,786
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 99 Times in 72 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Civ5 was in the top 10 sold games on steam for a long time after release. A good friend of mine who didn't play civ before has had to ban himself from having civ5 installed, since it was too time consuming and engrossing for him. Another friend, who started with civ4, plays civ5 often and we have irregular mp games going on that takes hours and is quite fun. Civ5 might not be civ4 , but it is popular and not a bad game. It's just so unlucky to have some real strong predecessors and some old grumpy fans that is vocal on the net.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

  20. #50

    Join Date
    20 Sep 2001
    Location
    ◘◘
    Posts
    2,095
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    December 11, 2016
    Local Time
    00:22

  21. #51

    Join Date
    20 Sep 2001
    Location
    ◘◘
    Posts
    2,095
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    December 11, 2016
    Local Time
    00:22
    Niko, you would find positive aspects in anything

  22. #52
    Nikolai's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Oct 2000
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    16,786
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 99 Times in 72 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    That smoke thing is not as good as the best version made, does not make it bad.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

  23. #53
    Hauldren Collider's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    17,622
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 218 Times in 182 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    17:22
    So what are they going to do about the fact that the game is fundamentally unbalanced and broken? Throw more poorly-balanced mechanics in? Yay...I can hardly contain my excitement.

    This is a dead franchise.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };:

  24. #54
    Guynemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 1999
    Location
    here
    Posts
    16,067
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 400 Times in 266 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    17:22


    Oh come on. This wasn't a dead franchise after Civ3, and Civ5 is much better than that game was.

    Is it as fun as Civ4? No. Could this expansion bring up to that level? Possibly; we'll see when it comes out.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

  25. #55

    Join Date
    20 Apr 2001
    Location
    Spijkenisse, zuid holland, netherlands
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambiorix_be View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest I complained with the previous versions that it was too much biased to pure warmongering (so I guess that every choice has its pro's and con's )
    That part is true.. So for peaceful players... Gods and kings is a blessing? More things to do than going to war! I think that Civ V is a good game to start with Civilization games.. is is not as complex as Civ IV BTS, and later on they will bring in the expansions and they make the game more complex.

  26. #56
    Lambiorix_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2001
    Location
    Boechout, Belgium
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That part is true.. So for peaceful players... Gods and kings is a blessing? More things to do than going to war! I think that Civ V is a good game to start with Civilization games.. is is not as complex as Civ IV BTS, and later on they will bring in the expansions and they make the game more complex.
    And "...we, who started with CIV 1, are getting old..." was also true

  27. #57
    gdijedi7's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Jul 2004
    Location
    A Classified Location in the Secret Woods.
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    22:22
    It's a little early to call Civ a dead franchise.

    Shoot, people have been saying Command and Conquer is a dead franchise for about the last three games, and it's still not dead.

    Civ can handle a few rough starts.
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

  28. #58
    Jon Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 May 1999
    Posts
    18,422
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 92 Times in 79 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    16:22
    Civ3 ended up OK after all expansions. I expect this to improve things too.

    And Civ5 isn't a bad game.

    JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  29. #59
    Closey's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Mar 2001
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    23:22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Civ5 was in the top 10 sold games on steam for a long time after release. A good friend of mine who didn't play civ before has had to ban himself from having civ5 installed, since it was too time consuming and engrossing for him. Another friend, who started with civ4, plays civ5 often and we have irregular mp games going on that takes hours and is quite fun. Civ5 might not be civ4 , but it is popular and not a bad game. It's just so unlucky to have some real strong predecessors and some old grumpy fans that is vocal on the net.
    I think there's a lot of truth in this.

    Civ 5 is still on the top 10 played games on Steam so it's far from dead.

  30. #60
    Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    33,754
    Thanks
    923
    Thanked 231 Times in 195 Posts
    Local Date
    December 10, 2016
    Local Time
    14:22
    And yet I couldn't find someone to play MP with if I tried.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Similar Threads

  1. Gods and Kings : show of hands who is going to buy it
    By Burticus in forum Civilization V: General
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: June 26, 2012, 08:32
  2. Apolyton has missed the release of Civilization V: Gods and Kings
    By Martin Ghmann in forum Civilization V: General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 4, 2012, 16:57
  3. Video Gamer brings more Gods&Kings details
    By Robert in forum Civilization V: General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 23, 2012, 21:34
  4. Gods & Kings: more details from Kotaku and Gamespot
    By Robert in forum Civilization V: General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 17, 2012, 16:14
  5. Kings of Civilization
    By Manya in forum The Spanish Civilization Site - Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 7, 2003, 07:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in